Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New G20 Comfort Access Features

02-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #45
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU135i View Post
Or they could have utilized Bluetooth instead of NFC and not had to worry about it.
Bluetooth can be hacked way too easy for that to be used instead.
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Pauleebe379.50
      02-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
The two are mutually exclusive issues.

1) The lack of iPhone Digital Key support is because of Apple, not BMW. BMW would certainly prefer the Digital Key to work on iPhones, but Apple only allows NFC for Apple Pay, so until Apple removes this restriction the Digital Key won't work. Hopefully that's coming in a future iOS update. It also doesn't work on Verizon Droids, because of restrictions Verizon places on their versions of their phones. BMW can't fix these, changes have to come from Apple and Verizon.

2) The lack of Android Auto in the car is because BMW feels Android Auto is not secure enough against hacking, and doesn't want to provide Google with their customer data per Google's requirements. They begrudgingly offer CarPlay, but if we're being honest, they want you using iDrive, not either of those systems. They didn't spend billions of dollars creating their bespoke iDrive system just so people could have the same interface in their $120k BMW that they see in a $12k Kia rental car.
1) I've been a VZ Droid user from 2013 to Dec 2018 and never had an issue with anything NFC... My EOS goes into Canon Camera Connect at least 10x faster with NFC, I rigged the printer/copier access at a previous job to work with NFC instead of my badge for giggles (slow day as the IT Manager), you'd hear it try to do stuff if you tap it against a bus pass (and in fact, the cops validate fare using smartphones, but I wish that LA Metro would fully enable smartphone NFC instead of TAP card), and of course, Google Pay. However, Apple not having wide usage on NFC is going to be the one thing I'm going to miss now that I've switched to iPhone.

2) Is that really the case? That was a minor reason I switched to the iPhone (well, that and it was a Christmas/birthday gift). I thought it was because they didn't want the almighty Bayerische Motoren Werke driver to use the plebeian Android phones *UX designer sips tea with extended pinky and drops monocle into teacup* Gasp, the horror!

Besides, the UX of the iDrive is still a bit complicated (at least the regular one for a 2018 X2 service loaner, I don't know about the upgraded ones where you can write on the controller and fully integrate with the BMW app), and in some regards, somewhat less intuitive than the CCC (but then again I'm sure it's just a learning curve thing; I didn't go too crazy with it since I only had it for a couple of days).
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #47
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
2)...They begrudgingly offer CarPlay, but if we're being honest, they want you using iDrive, not either of those systems. They didn't spend billions of dollars creating their bespoke iDrive system just so people could have the same interface in their $120k BMW that they see in a $12k Kia rental car.
Someone should tell Audi and Mercedes people aren't buying their cars anymore because they offer Android Auto, a feature on a rental car

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/w...-android-auto/
Toyota just caved and has confirmed it will start to offer Android Auto.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/p...e-near-future/
Even Porsche is now saying they will be offering it "soon".

What major car manufactures are left? BMW will eventually offer it. People are 100% making car buying decisions based on Android Auto availability.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #48
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
Someone should tell Audi and Mercedes people aren't buying their cars anymore because they offer Android Auto, a feature on a rental car

What major car manufactures are left? BMW will eventually offer it. People are 100% making car buying decisions based on Android Auto availability.
It sucks mine didn't come with Android Auto. I mean I don't really need it with the Nav and bluetooth audio built in. but it would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #49
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Have a friend at work who just got a new X5 and showed it to me today. Very nice vehicle. But after reading this thread I was curious about the card. When I asked, my friend knew nothing about it (first BMW and a lot of tech to learn on this vehicle). While he was showing to me I noticed it in a plastic pouch in the console. I pulled it out. He had no clue, thought it was just part of the console.
I have a feeling that this may be the fate for this feature for a lot of people. It will just stay in the car. Making it less secure. Have no idea why anyone thought this was a good idea
I know I would hate this on my M2. So glad I got it before this becomes widespread.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Good to see many of the features that could only be activated through coding finally made their way into iDrive.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #51
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:

I would love to see the numbers on how many people really bought one car over another solely because it had Android Auto and the other one didn't. But either way, I'm not lobbying on BMW's behalf, just stating "this is their reasoning". Maybe they'll cave and offer it eventually, I have no idea. As of now, they don't, because they don't think it's secure enough (same reason Porsche gave originally) and they don't want to provide the overlords at Google access to their customer data.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #52
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post
Why wouldn't you just wear your seatbelt?
Not the debate I'm going to engage in. I was just asking if it's on the list.
The chime is a legal requirement for all cars sold in the U.S., at least for the drivers seat. Can't say if it's now mandatory for the front passenger seat as well, but it wasn't in the past.
      03-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #53
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:
2)...They begrudgingly offer CarPlay, but if we're being honest, they want you using iDrive, not either of those systems. They didn't spend billions of dollars creating their bespoke iDrive system just so people could have the same interface in their $120k BMW that they see in a $12k Kia rental car.

Saw the reveal for the Polestar 2 which is using Google for their entire Nav/ entertainment interface. They expressly said the reason for this is because they make cars and why not leave that portion to a company who knows what they are doing. That is the exact reason I like the choice of Car play and Android auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #54
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
Quote:
Or they could have utilized Bluetooth instead of NFC and not had to worry about it.
Bluetooth can be hacked way too easy for that to be used instead.
Tesla seems to be making it work.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #55
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i xDrive GT

Nice
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #56
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Saw the reveal for the Polestar 2 which is using Google for their entire Nav/ entertainment interface. They expressly said the reason for this is because they make cars and why not leave that portion to a company who knows what they are doing. That is the exact reason I like the choice of Car play and Android auto.

BMW plans to offer Android auto once it is wireless

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      03-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #57
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8 View Post
I honestly have no idea what is the purpose of this? The fact that its slimmer than your keyfob? Fine, I get that! But the fact that you need to take the card out of your pocket/purse (or wherever you keep it) seems ridiculous at this point in time.

I had a client who had a 2003 and 2005 SL55 back in those days and the card worked exactly like the keyfob. Just keep it in your pocket and you can lock, unlock and start the car.

I like that I can keep a card instead of a fob in my wallet at all times to operate the car. At one point I had 4 fobs in my pocket when I was shuffling our cars in the garage/driveway. It's was very very bulky. Regularly, I only carry the fob for the car I want to use, but it would be very convenient to have all car's cards in my wallet so I don't need to go back in the house to the key basket just to get access to another car that I need to move/get into. My garage is detached, so it's actually a PITA.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #58
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
That will be great! I only hope that it will be retrofitted, either by software update or coding since I plan on getting an M340 Xi soon

Thanks for the update

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #59
rjmdubois
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Any timeframe? Do you know if it will be an SW update?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #60
Lemuecg20
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M sport

Card key

Quote:
Apple needs to enable NFC to work with it and yes the 3 series comes with the NFC Card

I saw you said the 3 series comes with the card key. Do you have to have the wireless charger option?? I ordered my 330i with M sports package and some other packages but not the wireless charger option. Should I get it?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #61
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuecg20 View Post
Quote:
Apple needs to enable NFC to work with it and yes the 3 series comes with the NFC Card

I saw you said the 3 series comes with the card key. Do you have to have the wireless charger option?? I ordered my 330i with M sports package and some other packages but not the wireless charger option. Should I get it?
If you have comfort access you will get the card.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #62
Lemuecg20
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M sport

Quote:
If you have comfort access you will get the card.
Another question not related to the card. Is the Lane Departure Warning with steering intervention a standard feature? I’ve seen it on videos but no one says if it’s standard. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0