Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW 330e Plug In Hybrid First Drive Review by Motortrend

03-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #23
TimT465201
2019 X5 40i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriske92 View Post
You receive tax reduction in
my country. That's why alot of self-employed people buy it. My doctor has a 5 ehybrid and he can deduct his car for 96% of his taxes. They don't buy because it's ecological, but for reducing taxes.
It will be a hit in major cities in China. The cost of the license plate is currently waived for electric vehicles in Shanghai. You also go to the front of the queue (no lottery) for the plate. This is a 20K USD gift. Not sure if this applies directly to hybrid
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:16 AM   #24
Spoilt666
ʘʘʘʘʘʘʘʘ
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e Portimao Blue

I've ordered a 330e with delivery on the end of July. I'm curious how it would drive (it would be the first hybrid I've had) but the first reviews reassure me that he will not disappoint.
Here in Belgium, the 330e costs €5.400 more than the 330i.

Another article => https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:25 AM   #25
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
What's the point. Poor electric range, extra weight, less boot higher price
UK has some of the lowest car prices in the world. Compare with Norway, a 330i would cost probably something like $20K USD more than the upcoming 330e, because of emissions taxes. A 330e could run on pure electricity for normal commutes, shopping, send the kids to practice etc etc. If you don't do a lot of long trips, a tank of gas can last weeks or months.
      03-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've been considering a used hybrid (not phev) Accord as a beater just to drive in the HOV lanes.

I have essentially zero ability to charge at home. How long can you use a 330e without charging it? Can I drive it indefinitely without ever plugging it in? Just curious as I don't care about fuel economy or tailpipe emissions. I only want HOV access.
You don't need to ever charge it, and it's a "super hybrid" if you don't. I took my 330e on a 2000 mi R/T to Perf driving school, pretty much all the way on Interstates. Averaged 80.1 MPH (great stealth car in White) and got 45MPG; starting with a full charge that got me out of Houston, but never charged again over whole trip. Until the Charge America network is up, I consider the PHEV to be the superior choice. In comparing it to a full-electric vehicle, the ICE drivetrain weighs less than the extra battery of a 240 mi full-EV would. In comparing it to the pure ICE equivalent, the extra battery weight is more than offset by the higher fuel economy; and if you are able to charge at home/work a lot (all, in my case) local travel can be in electric. An added benefit: Short ICE runs where the car never warms up never happen, so my ICE and exhaust system "should" last a lot longer, if you are a "keeper".
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #27
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
You don't need to ever charge it, and it's a "super hybrid" if you don't. I took my 330e on a 2000 mi R/T to Perf driving school, pretty much all the way on Interstates. Averaged 80.1 MPH (great stealth car in White) and got 45MPG; starting with a full charge that got me out of Houston, but never charged again over whole trip. Until the Charge America network is up, I consider the PHEV to be the superior choice. In comparing it to a full-electric vehicle, the ICE drivetrain weighs less than the extra battery of a 240 mi full-EV would. In comparing it to the pure ICE equivalent, the extra battery weight is more than offset by the higher fuel economy; and if you are able to charge at home/work a lot (all, in my case) local travel can be in electric. An added benefit: Short ICE runs where the car never warms up never happen, so my ICE and exhaust system "should" last a lot longer, if you are a "keeper".
I thought this is still a plug-in hybrid, and the ICE does not charge the battery, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #28
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT465201 View Post
It will be a hit in major cities in China. The cost of the license plate is currently waived for electric vehicles in Shanghai. You also go to the front of the queue (no lottery) for the plate. This is a 20K USD gift. Not sure if this applies directly to hybrid
you are half right there. it used to apply to hybrids in bigger cities, not it doesn't. meaning you have to get a BEV to qualify.

with the imported Model 3 going on sale in China for 400K RMB right now, and a domestic model coming out for around 270K RMB, any imported german hybrids will see their sales drop to single digits. It wouldn't even make sense for BMW to sell them in China anymore.

Now i'm sure there'll be still takers for hybrids in the states, but that could quickly change in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #29
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I thought this is still a plug-in hybrid, and the ICE does not charge the battery, correct?
Wrong. If you put the charge selector in "auto", the car will use any available battery charge to run in low speed, and to boost the ICE, if it's running, in acceleration. The car will charge the battery on braking and overrun. If you put the charge selector in "save", the computer will calculate good times for the ICE to charge the battery and do so. It will gradually recharge the battery--or not so gradually if a lot of downhill.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Wrong. If you put the charge selector in "auto", the car will use any available battery charge to run in low speed, and to boost the ICE, if it's running, in acceleration. The car will charge the battery on braking and overrun. If you put the charge selector in "save", the computer will calculate good times for the ICE to charge the battery and do so. It will gradually recharge the battery--or not so gradually if a lot of downhill.
I see, so it is regenerative braking and downhill/cruising that charges the battery. When u say "save" mode will allow ICE charging the battery, that implies a direct linkage between ICE and charger, but online article on 330e does not show that, do u have a link to the spec for that?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I see, so it is regenerative braking and downhill/cruising that charges the battery. When u say "save" mode will allow ICE charging the battery, that implies a direct linkage between ICE and charger, but online article on 330e does not show that, do u have a link to the spec for that?
No. Just experience. Save will recharge the battery, but evidently not continuously, since it takes a while. Just keeping the mode in auto and allowing braking and overrun to charge will never charge the battery fully, unless you are coming down Pikes Peak.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #32
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoilt666 View Post
I've ordered a 330e with delivery on the end of July. I'm curious how it would drive (it would be the first hybrid I've had) but the first reviews reassure me that he will not disappoint.
Here in Belgium, the 330e costs €5.400 more than the 330i.

Another article => https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/
If you are self-employed it's very good for tax reduction. But anyway many people would not buy a hybrid car if they need to buy it for private car. Too damn expensive to recharge and the radius is extremely low.
A friend of mine pays 1500€/year extra electricity to just drive 30km on full electric charge. It's not worth the money Hybrid or electic cars. If your rich or self-employed it's ok, but if you are not in these categories in Belgium you will regret it. I buy just a gasoline car, much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #33
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've been considering a used hybrid (not phev) Accord as a beater just to drive in the HOV lanes.

I have essentially zero ability to charge at home. How long can you use a 330e without charging it? Can I drive it indefinitely without ever plugging it in? Just curious as I don't care about fuel economy or tailpipe emissions. I only want HOV access.
I've driven a 530e as a loaner, and it had three selectable modes for "edrive", "auto edrive", "max edrive", and "battery control". Selecting "battery control" charged the battery while the ICE did most of the work. Presumably, one could drive this way indefinitely, using the car as a conventional hybrid. Due to the size and weight of these cars, it's not as fuel efficient to do so, but you said you aren't interested in the fuel efficiency anyway.

One thing to consider, if you can't plug it in, is that driving it in battery control makes it feel very sluggish. At least in the 530e I drove, the 180 hp 4 was not up to the task of moving that big heavy barge with any urgency. It's a big, heavy car, and feels slow most of the time, and down right lazy and sluggish when relying mostly on the weak ICE. The 330e might be better in this regard, but it's something to consider if you can't plug it in at home and, or at work.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I've driven a 530e as a loaner, and it had three selectable modes for "edrive", "auto edrive", "max edrive", and "battery control". Selecting "battery control" charged the battery while the ICE did most of the work. Presumably, one could drive this way indefinitely, using the car as a conventional hybrid. Due to the size and weight of these cars, it's not as fuel efficient to do so, but you said you aren't interested in the fuel efficiency anyway.

One thing to consider, if you can't plug it in, is that driving it in battery control makes it feel very sluggish. At least in the 530e I drove, the 180 hp 4 was not up to the task of moving that big heavy barge with any urgency. It's a big, heavy car, and feels slow most of the time, and down right lazy and sluggish when relying mostly on the weak ICE. The 330e might be better in this regard, but it's something to consider if you can't plug it in at home and, or at work.
Wrong. The PHEV is more fuel efficient, even considering the extra weight. I offer my experience with two PHEV's. I took my 330e on a 2000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 45 MPG. I took my X5 40e on an 8000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 35 MPG. Both results being about 15 MPG better than an equivalent pure ICE. My X5 40e has the 4-banger and it never lacks for adequate oomph--not like a V8, but perfectly adequate. The electric part of the drivetrain provides a very nice boost to the I-4 on acceleration. The software never lets the battery go to zero charge, even if you never charge the car, and so battery boost is always available. If you don't charge, the PHEV becomes a "super hybrid". Understand that I have owned a Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Carrera, Ferrari Dino 246GTS, Corvette, and Shelby GT350, so I'm not a pussy-footer.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #35
davidsf
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
What's the point. Poor electric range, extra weight, less boot higher price

The point is you can go months before having to visit a gas station. Assuming you don't have a long commute.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #36
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsf View Post
The point is you can go months before having to visit a gas station. Assuming you don't have a long commute.
i think that's only true for the Volt kind of hybrid, not for the "regular" kind of hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #37
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post

Wrong. The PHEV is more fuel efficient, even considering the extra weight. I offer my experience with two PHEV's. I took my 330e on a 2000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 45 MPG. I took my X5 40e on an 8000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 35 MPG. Both results being about 15 MPG better than an equivalent pure ICE. My X5 40e has the 4-banger and it never lacks for adequate oomph--not like a V8, but perfectly adequate. The electric part of the drivetrain provides a very nice boost to the I-4 on acceleration. The software never lets the battery go to zero charge, even if you never charge the car, and so battery boost is always available. If you don't charge, the PHEV becomes a "super hybrid". Understand that I have owned a Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Carrera, Ferrari Dino 246GTS, Corvette, and Shelby GT350, so I'm not a pussy-footer.
Obviously a hybrid system will be more fuel efficient than a comparably sized car powered only by an ICE. I didn't think this needed to be clarified. My point was that a large, heavy, awd hybrid luxury car/SUV isn't the most efficient selection for one who places a priority on driving a "clean" car. The poster I responded to wants one for a different reason anyway, and I also acknowledged that in my post.

I'll take your word for it that your X5 40i feels sufficiently powered. Stating your sports car street cred isn't necessary The car I alluded to was a 530e powered by a 180hp ICE. It felt slow to accelerate when in battery control mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #38
Squeak825
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsf View Post
i think that's only true for the Volt kind of hybrid, not for the "regular" kind of hybrid.
No, that is true a PHEV with a ~20mi range is perfect for people with short commutes. We bought a XC60 T8 2 months ago and have yet to go to the gas station yet (and have 1000 mi on it).

90% of our trips are battery only and we come home and plug it into our Level 2 charger and 2.5 hours later it is full.
Appreciate 0