2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Dash Cam

10-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #1
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Dash Cam

Installed this dash cam today.

Very impressed, plug and play into the existing rear view mirror plug with not wires on show. Looks more OEM than the actual BMW attempt.

Have the same brand on my wifes Audi. Also very impressed with the fitment and OEM look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Looks smart!

What's the brand /model?
Is the video quality any good?

Last edited by hamera; 10-08-2022 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Called fitcamx

Available through a few sources namely Amazon or direct from fitcamx.

I’m very picky with fitment of things and this is the first non oem thing I’ve bought and I’d struggle to spot any imperfections if I wasn’t to know it was retrofitted.

4k recording so video quality is very good. Especially when the SD Card is viewed on a laptop.
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50
      10-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #4
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Called fitcamx

Available through a few sources namely Amazon or direct from fitcamx.

I'm very picky with fitment of things and this is the first non oem thing I've bought and I'd struggle to spot any imperfections if I wasn't to know it was retrofitted.

4k recording so video quality is very good. Especially when the SD Card is viewed on a laptop.
Can this record when parked (engine off)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 02:22 AM   #5
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Not in its standard set up. It auto turns on and off with the locking and unlocking of the car. I did read somewhere it could be wired up for continual recording but it was something I needed particularly so I’ve not looked into it. There is also the option for a rear camera as part of the package, but again I just wanted a front camera.

90% of the time my car is parked on our drive or in a private work car park so I wasn’t requiring continual recording. We use my wife’s car at a weekend so any parking in random places is done with hers. I do see this is important for some people though.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 06:43 AM   #6
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Quote:
Not in its standard set up. It auto turns on and off with the locking and unlocking of the car. I did read somewhere it could be wired up for continual recording but it was something I needed particularly so I’ve not looked into it. There is also the option for a rear camera as part of the package, but again I just wanted a front camera.

90% of the time my car is parked on our drive or in a private work car park so I wasn’t requiring continual recording. We use my wife’s car at a weekend so any parking in random places is done with hers. I do see this is important for some people though.
That's a shame. As far as OEM looks it's great but I need a rear camera and parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Slipmiester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d Touring

Yup, certainly looks the 'oem' part , I'd be all for ripping out my Blackvue, just reinstalled it into new car, only to find the front camera has developed a focus fault . Has to be sent back to effin' South Korea for a new lens. 30-45 day turnaround...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 03:30 AM   #8
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

It’s early days with mine so time will tell in its reliability etc.

So far so good though. Nice and easy to return back to stock as well if I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Hiya,

That looks good. What is the exact model? I've seen 'F & G models' on the site but it doesnt specify what cars they fit.

Tks in adv
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Geoff G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20

I fitted one of these as well - posted about it here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28363204

Had problems with the first one turning itself off and got a replacement which seemed to work fine. One of the issues is that the indicator lights (which I would like to see to check that it is working after the initial issues) and the control buttons are on the left, really designed for left hand drive.

When they said they would send me the replacement, I asked if there was a model with buttons on the right side and they said 'not yet' so not sure if that is likely to ever exist.

I removed it before that last service - because I know BMW don't like to have them in during service visits, and because I suppose you are technically tampering with the wiring, and haven't got round to putting it back. Although after the initial issues I did kind of lose confidence in it. I was carrying small mirror to keep checking that the lights were on! Image quality was good though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #11
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckySaxon View Post
Hiya,

That looks good. What is the exact model? I've seen 'F & G models' on the site but it doesnt specify what cars they fit.

Tks in adv
It depends if you have the driver assistance pack. If you don’t and your windscreen looks like mine it’s model B.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #12
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff G20 View Post
I fitted one of these as well - posted about it here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28363204

Had problems with the first one turning itself off and got a replacement which seemed to work fine. One of the issues is that the indicator lights (which I would like to see to check that it is working after the initial issues) and the control buttons are on the left, really designed for left hand drive.

When they said they would send me the replacement, I asked if there was a model with buttons on the right side and they said 'not yet' so not sure if that is likely to ever exist.

I removed it before that last service - because I know BMW don't like to have them in during service visits, and because I suppose you are technically tampering with the wiring, and haven't got round to putting it back. Although after the initial issues I did kind of lose confidence in it. I was carrying small mirror to keep checking that the lights were on! Image quality was good though.

Early days but it’s been flawless so far. My wife’s Audi has the buttons on the bottom which works quite well. I thought the same though when I saw the buttons on the passenger side.

As mine has been ok so far I’ve not been looking out for the LED lights if I’m honest.

Did you return your old one or did they just give you a new one? I can’t imagine Ali expresss is easy to return items with.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:33 AM   #13
Geoff G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20

I just contacted aliexpress, by WhatsApp I think. They were very communicative but unsure why it stopped recording.

They wondered if it was a power supply problem, but there was clearly power as it started every time I pressed the button - but would then only record for about a minute before stopping again. They got me to update the firmware initially but then sent out a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like it's Model C for cars with the Assist Pro option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 03:31 AM   #15
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Looks like it's Model C for cars with the Assist Pro option.
Did you get one? How was it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
That's a shame. As far as OEM looks it's great but I need a rear camera and parking mode.
I've had the Thinkware T700 with a Cellink battery for 18m and happy with it. Caught someone hitting my car whilst parked and I got the alert on my Apple Watch within seconds!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 04:58 AM   #17
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

I've gone for this fitcamx. Lets see how we go
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 07:57 AM   #18
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

I really like the look of this camera as it looks better than the OEM version.

The website shows it does have an option for parking mode and rear camera so very versatile.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx...39888585392300

My biggest concern would be dismantling the original plastic surround in case I broke it as I'm a bit heavy handed

Anyone whos already installed this care to share their install experience.. was it easy to remove the plastic around the mirror before installing this camera ?

I still wish someone with some know how with coding the G20 could figure out how to make the built in cameras record constantly instead of just the 40 seconds of video if the car is hit or if you manually ask it to record. If the internal storage isn't being used to store music that would be an ideal place to store a days worth of constant video before overwriting with the next days video.
1999 E46 323i - 2001 to 2011
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #19
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckySaxon View Post
Did you get one? How was it?
I was waiting for some black friday deals and end up ordering from Amazon today for £170.99 (10% voucher)

Delivery estimate 9-16 December.

I'll report back with some pics and sample videos.

Last edited by hamera; 11-30-2022 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I'm not knocking the product and don't claim to be a fountain of knowledge. It looks quite tidy.

Do you have any fault codes with the cam?
Some cars can be quite sensitive to voltage being tapped into/lost in random places.
Does it have a parking mode? In-built battery?
I ask, as if it is connected to mirror wiring and the car is switched off fully. How would parking mode run if there is one? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #21
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN15H View Post
I really like the look of this camera as it looks better than the OEM version.

The website shows it does have an option for parking mode and rear camera so very versatile.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx...39888585392300

My biggest concern would be dismantling the original plastic surround in case I broke it as I'm a bit heavy handed

Anyone whos already installed this care to share their install experience.. was it easy to remove the plastic around the mirror before installing this camera ?

I still wish someone with some know how with coding the G20 could figure out how to make the built in cameras record constantly instead of just the 40 seconds of video if the car is hit or if you manually ask it to record. If the internal storage isn't being used to store music that would be an ideal place to store a days worth of constant video before overwriting with the next days video.
Very easy to remove existing trim. Set of plastic trim tools is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I'm not knocking the product and don't claim to be a fountain of knowledge. It looks quite tidy.

Do you have any fault codes with the cam?
Some cars can be quite sensitive to voltage being tapped into/lost in random places.
Does it have a parking mode? In-built battery?
I ask, as if it is connected to mirror wiring and the car is switched off fully. How would parking mode run if there is one? Thanks
No fault codes.
It supposedly has a crash detection but for obvious reasons no way to test. Assume possibly a small built in battery but I’ve not check to be honest.
Appreciate 2