Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i touring knocking

02-15-2024, 12:42 PM   #1
DJB123
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340I Touring LCI

M340i touring knocking

Not owned the car long. Booked back into BMW next week as I have detected a knocking sound at very low speeds. Noise more prominent when moving off. Anyone have similar problems? Can feel it through the floor, pedals and steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:24 PM   #2
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Sounds like the infamous tie rod/ steering rack noise.

Took 12 months to finally cure my noise at low speed over slight bumps or when setting off/ coming to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
Tegs200
Rep
Drives: 140i

I was going to say it sounds like an anti roll bar drop link from previous cars I've had.....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:54 PM   #4
FluffyCat
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i xDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Sounds like the infamous tie rod/ steering rack noise.

Took 12 months to finally cure my noise at low speed over slight bumps or when setting off/ coming to a stop.
Can I ask how you cured it in the end please?

I have the same issue on my LCI M340i, however mine seems to alternate between several days of no noise, then one day of really loud hard knocking noise coming from front passenger side suspension area. Then other days it's slight popping noise consistently over small bumps both passenger and drivers side, with some creaking from the steering when maneuvering at low speeds.

Dealer replaced tie rods, but zero improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #5
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyCat View Post
Can I ask how you cured it in the end please?

I have the same issue on my LCI M340i, however mine seems to alternate between several days of no noise, then one day of really loud hard knocking noise coming from front passenger side suspension area. Then other days it's slight popping noise consistently over small bumps both passenger and drivers side, with some creaking from the steering when maneuvering at low speeds.

Dealer replaced tie rods, but zero improvement.
Had the full rack replaced last march. So far it’s been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:50 AM   #6
FluffyCat
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i xDrive MHT

Quote:
Had the full rack replaced last march. So far it’s been fine since.
Thank you. Every time I take it to the dealer and they test drive it, there's no noise, so they aren't willing to replace any extra parts, unless there is a recall/service bulletin related to it, which there seemed to be for the tie rods as they replaced those no questions asked?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 04:21 PM   #7
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyCat View Post
Thank you. Every time I take it to the dealer and they test drive it, there's no noise, so they aren't willing to replace any extra parts, unless there is a recall/service bulletin related to it, which there seemed to be for the tie rods as they replaced those no questions asked?
You’ll probably find it’ll return more often when the weather is warmer and after a prolonged drive. I managed to recreate it and recorded the sound. I also got the service manager to come out in the car and he heard it almost instantly.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:21 AM   #8
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
You’ll probably find it’ll return more often when the weather is warmer and after a prolonged drive.
I have exactly this problem and this is exactly what happens, in hot weather it appears after an hour or so of driving and then stays for the rest of the day, but once the temperature drops it stops.

It's been silent since September, I booked it in but they didn't see the car until October and it didn't make the noise. I fully expect it to be back this summer but I can't reasonably expect nor am I particularly pleased with the idea of them driving it a hundred miles to try and reproduce what is clearly a common 3 series issue.

They said they'd never heard of it before but I read reports of this problem everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:57 AM   #9
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
I have exactly this problem and this is exactly what happens, in hot weather it appears after an hour or so of driving and then stays for the rest of the day, but once the temperature drops it stops.

It's been silent since September, I booked it in but they didn't see the car until October and it didn't make the noise. I fully expect it to be back this summer but I can't reasonably expect nor am I particularly pleased with the idea of them driving it a hundred miles to try and reproduce what is clearly a common 3 series issue.

They said they'd never heard of it before but I read reports of this problem everywhere.
Its very common on the full G series range.

I waited 3 months for the rack due to a stock shortage created from all the replacement racks been ordered. At the time mine was with the dealer they had 4 other cars all waiting for a new rack.

They definitely know about it - its just an expensive claim so they are likely not to issue a SIB for it as everyone would be having the racks changed.

A few guys at work have G20's and have the same issue but they just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:18 PM   #10
SkierM
Rep
Drives: 320d X-Drive Touring

Hi

Does this issue affect all ages of G series cars or is it between specific build dates?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:03 AM   #11
robsishere
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierM View Post
Hi

Does this issue affect all ages of G series cars or is it between specific build dates?

Cheers
Am on a 2019 Z4 G29, tie rods have been replaced twice so far and the knocking is still constant. Both sides front struts/absorbers have been replaced recently as well. Back in at the dealership again to diagnose and see what AG says.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:47 AM   #12
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierM View Post
Hi

Cheers
I've heard of people with this issue all the way from early builds to LCI cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:49 AM   #13
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsishere View Post
Am on a 2019 Z4 G29, tie rods have been replaced twice so far and the knocking is still constant. Both sides front struts/absorbers have been replaced recently as well. Back in at the dealership again to diagnose and see what AG says.
I had all the above work carried out on mine before BMW agreed to change the rack. Touch wood its been ok since.
Appreciate 0