Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Map update 2024-1

02-20-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Touring xDriv

Map update 2024-1

Hi all,

Just noticed 2024-1 is now in download manager
      02-20-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
Hongning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Thanks, my free updates will expire in 24 hours. Gonna update before then!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:10 AM   #3
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Just a note about this one just in case....21 Pre LCI using USB B socket at cup holders.

I downloaded this update yesterday and put it in the car this morning, I was keeping an eye on it but when it got to 99% it stalled and I got 'USB Read Error unable to update'.

That wouldn't be too bad but then I had no navigation at all, just showing loading.... iDrive reset no good.

Putting back in the update stick got me nav. until 99% again. I did it 5 or 6 times on my journey

Back at home I remembered I have a USB B to C adapter, plugged the stick into the armrest C socket and it updated first go...phew

Very odd, never had a problem before. The cup-holder socket is working fine with my music
      02-26-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
Just a note about this one just in case....21 Pre LCI using USB B socket at cup holders.
<pedant>
It's USB type A
</pedant>

In case anyone is wondering if it's a problem in the LCI, it worked fine via the cupholder socket in my G21.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 10:02 AM   #5
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
<pedant>
It's USB type A
</pedant>

Thank you!

(I won't edit to leave your post looking like an orphan )
      02-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:

I downloaded this update yesterday and put it in the car this morning, I was keeping an eye on it but when it got to 99% it stalled and I got 'USB Read Error unable to update'.

That wouldn't be too bad but then I had no navigation at all, just showing loading.... iDrive reset no good.

Putting back in the update stick got me nav. until 99% again. I did it 5 or 6 times on my journey

Back at home I remembered I have a USB B to C adapter, plugged the stick into the armrest C socket and it updated first go...phew

Very odd, never had a problem before. The cup-holder socket is working fine with my music
Just so as not to spook pre LCI Owners it worked fine for me in that USB socket.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 10:13 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Just done my map update the other day too and it updated as normal perfectly well from the USB A in between the cupholders.
I've used the same 64Gb USB for the past several map updates without a problem although strangely enough on this occasion when downloading the map after wiping the USB stick I had to change the format from FAT 32 which I've plays used in the past to ExFAT before it would accept the external drive as the recipient for the map download. Why the hell it did that I have absolutely no idea!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:35 AM   #8
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Just so as not to spook pre LCI Owners it worked fine for me in that USB socket.
It must be sulking because I'm flirting with a new JCW Countryman
      02-26-2024, 11:01 AM   #9
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
It must be sulking because I'm flirting with a new JCW Countryman
The Fraulein moves in mysterious ways!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 02:50 PM   #10
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Just done my map update the other day too and it updated as normal perfectly well from the USB A in between the cupholders.
I've used the same 64Gb USB for the past several map updates without a problem although strangely enough on this occasion when downloading the map after wiping the USB stick I had to change the format from FAT 32 which I've plays used in the past to ExFAT before it would accept the external drive as the recipient for the map download. Why the hell it did that I have absolutely no idea!
I know that in BMW's own "How To" video on YT recommends the use of ExFAT as the file system over FAT32. Perhaps they have now just phased out the use of FAT32 due to the max single file size being only 4GB. Maybe that's become an issue.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      02-26-2024, 04:05 PM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
I know that in BMW's own "How To" video on YT recommends the use of ExFAT as the file system over FAT32. Perhaps they have now just phased out the use of FAT32 due to the max single file size being only 4GB. Maybe that's become an issue.
Thanks for that info Tok'Ra. My level knowledge of the technical side of computers is quite literally 'jackshit' ! I (kind of) know how to use one and have enough confidence to perform basic tasks and can partake on this forum (and even attach photos to posts!) but beyond that I'm pretty much buggered!
As for file systems their nomenclature and respective sizes, well all that is just alien to me I'm afraid.....hell I even write letters and sign the odd cheque now and then!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2024, 05:25 PM   #12
Brisy
Rep
Drives: 320i

Thanks for the heads up on the new map update...carried this out in the car yesterday 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:41 AM   #13
Geoff G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20

Anyone having problems (again) using download manager on a mac? I've formatted the usb stick (several times) as EXFAT and FAT32 but keep getting an 'Format not supported....' message.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:53 PM   #14
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff G20 View Post
Anyone having problems (again) using download manager on a mac? I've formatted the usb stick (several times) as EXFAT and FAT32 but keep getting an 'Format not supported....' message.
I had to erase all the data on my 64Gb USB drive and reformat it to ExFAT and it worked ok. I did however log out of the manual map update on my connected drive account and started all over again even to the extent of downloading the BMW Manager again and using that latest download manager from scratch.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:10 PM   #15
Geoff G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20

Interesting. I tried all that, reinstalled download manager, and tried formatting the usb drive in terminal, all to no avail. All of this on an M2 MacBook with OSX Ventura.

In the end I loaded up windows on an old MacBook and did it that way.

I'm not sure why everything is so laborious, even in the car. I've just loaded the update but it would only upload as long as the 'igniton' is on - so I had to go out and keep kicking it into life.

Are you supposed to upload it while driving - in which case do you lose the satnav all the time it is loading?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:51 PM   #16
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

I was a numpty when I did the recent update.

I got caught by “Format not supported ….” message, even though I had reformatted the 64 Gbyte USB drive (ExFAT) I had used for map updates in the past. After a bit of head-scratching it dawned on me that when the download manager popped up the list of available drives (I had 3 including the USB), I didn’t actually click on the USB drive to select it, so it defaulted to the first disc in the list which was the disc drive in my Mac, which is not formatted as ExFAT. When I clicked on the USB drive to select it, the transfer started without problems.

Doh!

Last edited by sjb993; 03-01-2024 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      03-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #17
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff G20 View Post
Are you supposed to upload it while driving - in which case do you lose the satnav all the time it is loading?
You can still use the nav subsystem while the update runs, it just needs restarting at some point after it finishes installing. I did mine on the way home from work, restarted it when I got home.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 03:30 AM   #18
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
I was a numpty when I did the recent update.

I got caught by “Format not supported ….” message, even though I had reformatted the 64 Gbyte USB drive (ExFAT) I had used for map updates in the past. After a bit of head-scratching it dawned on me that when the download manager popped up the list of available drives (I had 3 including the USB), I didn’t actually click on the USB drive to select it, so it defaulted to the first disc in the list which was the disc drive in my Mac, which is not formatted as ExFAT. When I clicked on the USB drive to select it, the transfer started without problems.

Doh!
I did exactly the same thing! Like you I’ll not get caught out by that again…’every day’s a school day!’
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #19
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

This morning I tried again, just to check it’s possible to do what I did in my post. When I fired up the download manager it wanted to update itself from v 2.18.0 to v 2.19.0 so I did that. After it updated I ran it again and plugged in my freshly reformatted USB drive. I got the list of my drives, namely Mac disc (red cross), external SSD (red cross) and USB (greeen tick). However this time the “CONTINUE” button in the App was greyed out (inactive) until I had clicked on the USB drive, thereby stopping the “Format not supported … “ message.

I assume the update included preventative measures so that numpties like me cannot unwittingly select a drive with an unsupported format.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2024, 07:03 PM   #20
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
This morning I tried again, just to check it’s possible to do what I did in my post. When I fired up the download manager it wanted to update itself from v 2.18.0 to v 2.19.0 so I did that. After it updated I ran it again and plugged in my freshly reformatted USB drive. I got the list of my drives, namely Mac disc (red cross), external SSD (red cross) and USB (greeen tick). However this time the “CONTINUE” button in the App was greyed out (inactive) until I had clicked on the USB drive, thereby stopping the “Format not supported … “ message.

I assume the update included preventative measures so that numpties like me cannot unwittingly select a drive with an unsupported format.
We would not be human if we did not make the odd mistake. God knows I've made more than a few.. million.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:10 PM   #21
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
You can still use the nav subsystem while the update runs, it just needs restarting at some point after it finishes installing. I did mine on the way home from work, restarted it when I got home.
Yup! I did that with my first Map update, but the last one I forgot I could do that, so I did it while I was making my dinner, constantly poping outside like and idiot to see if it was finished updating yet, seemed to take longer too, with the car not on the move. LOL!
Appreciate 0