Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Best rock chip paint?

04-17-2022, 11:17 PM   #1
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M340I Xdrive

Best rock chip paint?

Mineral white in color, should I just go with bmw oem? They arent huge, its just on the roof and i always see it..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 05:40 AM   #2
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawDog View Post
Mineral white in color, should I just go with bmw oem? They arent huge, its just on the roof and i always see it..
I'd stick with BMW
Appreciate 1
RawDog26.00
      04-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

I'd go with chipex or dr color chip. Oem touch up can be hard to use and get perfectly level without wet sanding/polishing. Both dr color chip and chipex have a blending solution to level the paint into the chip and make it perfectly flat. Chipex has A 100% paint match guarantee as well, just provide your color code:

https://chipex.co.uk

Dr color chip is the domestic alternative:
https://drcolorchip.com
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
Jamieb3009
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 4 Series 2021

I would second the vote for Chipex. I have had very good reviews for what is a relatively cheap 'at home' kit. It will never be factory finished but even i struggle to find them again after being touched up!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:11 PM   #5
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Dr colorchip is pretty easy and straight forward to use.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
My vehicle is Alpine White and I purchased the touchup for it. There were adverts for both ChipEx and DrColorChip in the BMW magazine so I looked at their websites. Both seem interesting and have slightly different ways of application. I thought the video for ChipEx looked more professional; DrColorChip got the paint all over the trim and left it. Has anyone used both and prefers one over the other? I'm leaning towards ChipEx at this point. Also wondering can I use my BMW factory touchup and if I buy the squeezes and etc from one of these vendors, which it work the same way?
Used Dr. colorchip on my alpine white that was peppered with rock chips. It helps mask it very well. To get rid of the hole it leaves behind you'll need to apply a few layers (so it levels with the paint). I didn't bother to do that. Cleaned up the front end very well. For those who don't know that it was peppered with rock chips, it looks fantastic. Easy application too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My vehicle is Alpine White and I purchased the touchup for it. There were adverts for both ChipEx and DrColorChip in the BMW magazine so I looked at their websites. Both seem interesting and have slightly different ways of application. I thought the video for ChipEx looked more professional; DrColorChip got the paint all over the trim and left it. Has anyone used both and prefers one over the other? I'm leaning towards ChipEx at this point. Also wondering can I use my BMW factory touchup and if I buy the squeezes and etc from one of these vendors, which it work the same way?
I've used both and have had great results with each. Only reason I prefer chipex is because their paint was a better match for my color (Black sapphire). They also have a 100% color match guarantee. If it's off you can let them know and get a replacement sent.

Nowadays I'm more familiar with wet sanding before compound and polish (lightly scuff the area with 2500 grit or 3000 grit until level after paint dries. Then compound then polish) so I like to stick to oem touch up. If you're paints unfaded its 100% match of course. Doing this gives a flawless result every time. Had a small one behind my rear tire and even from point blank can't tell it was ever there. Even in the reflection. If you have metallic paint, dab on the paint with a toothpick or mini brush to get the flake to lay properly, don't brush

If you're going to take this route and are unfamiliar I'd suggest watching a YouTube tutorial (here's a pretty good one for a scratch but the process is all the same for a chip). And definitely have a DA polisher or rotary, hand polishing never works to well in my experience. hope it helps!

Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1947.50
      06-11-2022, 01:25 AM   #8
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JSaid, thank you for the very detailed reply and the video.
No problem, and just to answer your last question, you can't use the oem touch up paint with any of the kits. The blending solutions wouldn't work
Appreciate 0