home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

07-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #133
///M4TT
18’ F82 ZCP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F82 ZCP in MGM

M4 looks considerably better (than the M3).
      07-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #134
1claire
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
It drives me crazy, I can't believe the Germans of all people would allow that asymmetrical mess.
Totally agree, I am not impressed with the design that I feel like it ruins everything about this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #135
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
This is actually a horrible design They need to fire all their designers
It drives me crazy, I can't believe the Germans of all people would allow that asymmetrical mess.
On the 4 series bmw integrated the design of the grill printed over the sensor to blend it in, I'm surprised M did not do the same. Building that frame around it highlights the offset sensor
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #136
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Agreed.. I like the design and I'm not a blind BMW fanboy.
That's the irony. A blind BMW fanboy would NOT like the design because it is anything but BMW. It looks like a Lexus had sex with a beaver. So I guess that makes fans of it just "a blind fanboy". Gosh it is fugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #137
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Spy shots have shown that the American plate holder fits fine with the sensor. Do you honestly think BMW didn't think of that when they designed the car?
Honestly, I don't know what the F BMW was thinking with this design. Actually, I do know:

They said, let's get rid of the Hofmeister Kink, the Zicker Line, the classic BMW rear light design (and sub it for Lexus), the angel eyes (and the hexagon angels), the kidney grills, the integrated 4 exhausts, the hidden muffler, a fluid design, etc. Then they said let's have sex with a bucktooth beaver for fun. And viola, your new 4 series. Enjoy.

Last edited by thebmw; 07-26-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
ChrisM41525.00
ihbase362.50
      07-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #138
1 Duppy
Nightshift
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the F BMW was thinking with this design. Actually, I do know:

They said, let's get rid of the Hofmeister Kink, the Zicker Line, the classic BMW rear light design (and sub it for Lexus), the angel eyes (and the hexagon angels), the kidney grills, the integrated 4 exhausts, the hidden gas tank, a fluid design, etc. Then they said let's have sex with a bucktooth beaver for fun. And viola, your new 4 series. Enjoy.
loool...jeez man I think you figured it out!
Driver Mod and Lead Foot
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #139
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

They said, let's get rid of the Hofmeister Kink, the Zicker Line, the classic BMW rear light design (and sub it for Lexus), the angel eyes (and the hexagon angels), the kidney grills, the integrated 4 exhausts, the hidden gas tank, a fluid design, etc. Then they said let's have sex with a bucktooth beaver for fun. And viola, your new 4 series. Enjoy.
Hof kink is still there. On the M4 is just exaggerated and stretched out. M3 is still there at the traditional angle.

Angels. BMW went from circles, to hexagonal, to what we see on the M3 which is partial hexagon. I think the completely circular angels were getting a little old fashioned. I can understand that people don't like the new design but it is essentially the hexagon design.

Kidney grilles are there, but we get it, you don't like the large ones. Most don't and BMW knew it would receive a lot of backlash. Designs like this require time. I personally think it's bold and I'll reserve judgement for a year or two after I start seeing them on the road.

Hidden gas tank? I'm starting to think you don't know much about cars.

Integrated "4 exhausts". Are you talking about tail pipes? I have no idea what you're looking at, but they still look like real tail pipes to me. Four of them in the right shape and at about the same position as previous M cars.
Appreciate 5
JTO245246.50
heavyD^23684.00
JustChris17427.50
clee1982796.00
      07-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #140
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
It's interesting so many folks are willing themselves to love this car all in the name of brand loyalty and fandom. I promise if one of the other "rival" car manufacturers (Tesla, Mercedes Benz, Alfa Romeo) came with a design like this the memes and threads clowning would be incessant.
Well when Audi first came out with the big grilles they were ridiculed but over time it has been accepted and many today consider it handsome. Same for Lexus and their big-ass grilles which were mercilessly clowned on. When an automaker releases a bold new design it's always going to be ridiculed for looking different but the reality is that the hot takes fade in time and it's all about the long game. I can't predict that the G80 M3/M4 will be universally loved in time but I'm pretty confident a lot of posters today hating on them will one day end up owning one. Tis the cycle of new model releases.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
clee1982796.00
      07-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #141
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Hof kink is still there. On the M4 is just exaggerated and stretched out. M3 is still there at the traditional angle.

Angels. BMW went from circles, to hexagonal, to what we see on the M3 which is partial hexagon. I think the completely circular angels were getting a little old fashioned. I can understand that people don't like the new design but it is essentially the hexagon design.

Kidney grilles are there, but we get it, you don't like the large ones. Most don't and BMW knew it would receive a lot of backlash. Designs like this require time. I personally think it's bold and I'll reserve judgement for a year or two after I start seeing them on the road.

Hidden gas tank? I'm starting to think you don't know much about cars.

Integrated "4 exhausts". Are you talking about tail pipes? I have no idea what you're looking at, but they still look like real tail pipes to me. Four of them in the right shape and at about the same position as previous M cars.
When the Hof Kink is stretched out, it's not really a kink anymore. But call it whatever you want, Mr. Hofmeister would not be happy.

Agree the circles were getting dated, but the new ones are starting to border a "L" (the LCI 5 series is a good example).

Technically, the large vertical grills are real kidney grills when compared to the anatomical kidneys, but obviously we are all used to the horizontal "kidney" grills. The problem is, they do not look like kidneys at all. They look like bucktooth beavers, and not the attractive beavers either. Audi has done a pretty good job of refining the "large grill" theme. BMW, not so much.

See this post for hidden muffler. I've owned over 60 cars, but sure, I don't know anything about cars. But at least I know what is fugly! https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=108

The 4 exhausts are housed in a square cut out. Looks really cheap and almost an afterthought. That's what I'm referring to. M's have always have nice looking exhausts and exhaust housing.

I still think that someone in BMW design had sex with a beaver...until you can prove me wrong.

Last edited by thebmw; 07-26-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #142
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
When the Hof Kink is stretched out, it's not really a kink anymore. But call it whatever you want, Mr. Hofmeister would not be happy.

Agree the circles were getting dated, but the new ones are starting to border a "L" (the LCI 5 series is a good example).

Technically, the large vertical grills are real kidney grills when compared to the anatomical kidneys, but obviously we are all used to the horizontal "kidney" grills. The problem is, they do not look like kidneys at all. They look like bucktooth beavers, and not the attractive beavers either. Audi has done a pretty good job of refining the "large grill" theme. BMW, not so much.

See this post for hidden gas tank. I've owned over 60 cars, but sure, I don't know anything about cars. But at least I know what is fugly! https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=108

The 4 exhausts are housed in a square cut out. Looks really cheap and almost an afterthought. That's what I'm referring to. M's have always have nice looking exhausts and exhaust housing.

I still think that someone in BMW design had sex with a beaver...until you can prove me wrong.
The exhaust tips look very similar to the layout to the e46, e9x and F8x M3/4, though. And that "tank" behind the tips is not a gas tank, it's the muffler and has been very visible since the e9x M3 days.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      07-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #143
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
The exhaust tips look very similar to the layout to the e46, e9x and F8x M3/4, though. And that "tank" behind the tips is not a gas tank, it's the muffler and has been very visible since the e9x M3 days.
Correct on the muffler...I accidentally referred to it as gas tank after seeing post 108. What a dumb mistake! I'm at work and not giving too much thought to the posts and errors.

The entire exhaust presentation is what I'm referring to...the square cut out in the new gen vs the stylish integration in the previous gens.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #144
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct on the muffler...I accidentally referred to it as gas tank after seeing post 108. What a dumb mistake! I'm at work and not giving too much thought to the posts and errors.

The entire exhaust presentation is what I'm referring to...the square cut out in the new gen vs the stylish integration.
OK I kinda figured you were talking about the muffler portion of the exhaust. A gast tank in that location would be a huge hazard for a few reasons. Regardless, they did that for the F80 M3 (though not as obvious) and it's pretty much the same is it on the M2 Comp. I very much suspect that it's for aerodynamics. The muffler shape and location leads me to believe it's an underbody spoiler or maybe even a slightly functional diffuser based on the angle. Why do you think there's a large market for fake diffusers for the F80 and F87? Same deal. It is hilarious that users try to cover it with a piece of plastic that likely diverts air into their bumper and ruin the aerodynamics of it. Obviously for most, form is far more important than function.

The square cutout is really nitpicking isn't it? The E36 was fairly different and it's not like they all looked the same anyway. I really think the quad exhausts with real cylindrical tips is far more important to "heritage" than the shape of the cutout. I think it looks OK and more modern, and I think it's fine if you don't like it. I'm still undecided. But to claim that BMW is doing away with tradition because of it is too nit picky, IMO.

I'm personally fine with the extended hoff kink mainly because I'm a sedan guy anyway and I don't have to deal with it. However, on many of their cars they've been moving to that extended kink so it's not a completely new design element either.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #145
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
OK I kinda figured you were talking about the muffler portion of the exhaust. A gast tank in that location would be a huge hazard for a few reasons.

The square cutout is really nitpicking isn't it?
Now I see why you asked if I knew about cars Again, what a silly mistake.

The square cutout might be viewed as nitpicking, but I don't think so. They could have made any shape or design. Why a clunky square design. It is simply not cohesive to the overall design. Nothing matches! The front and the rear are completely different design themes. Heck, ACC isn't even symmetrical! This is true in the M3, but definitely in the M4.

That tells me 2 things. 1, they were lazy (I don't think so...everything is purposeful). Or 2, they were just making new shapes and designs to be different. Ding, Ding, Ding, that is true. Domagoj Dukec literally said that he is going to do everything differently just because. I think he is a little full of himself and his abilities. So if a circle looks good, he will use a square. If Hof kink looks good, he will change it. If a nice Zicker line shoulder looks good, he will get rid of it and other character lines.

Bangle was evolutionary. Dukec isn't even revolutionary. He is apocalyptic. He destroys tradition and what looks good for the sake of being different. I think he wants to go all or nothing. Either he will be remembered as a great designer (can't see how that will happen with his watered down, Lexus-like and somewhat ugly designs) or go down as a failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #146
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
On the 4 series bmw integrated the design of the grill printed over the sensor to blend it in, I'm surprised M did not do the same. Building that frame around it highlights the offset sensor
I imagine one can opt out of the sensor, no? Curious if it would be standard. I imagine not?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #147
AlexInChicago
Rep
Drives: 2023 430GranSport xDriveMsport

BMW needs to move the M3 front license plate bracket to the side, under the headlights. Move the parking sensors if needed. The M3 is not going to sell with a license plate looking tacked on in the center of the grille.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 05:05 AM   #148
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Wow so much negativity from ppl on just a rendering! I for one am looking forward to seeing the actual car in the 'flesh' before forming an opinion. In fact I commend Bmw for stepping out the box and creating such a unique design, and I'm guessing it will most likely have a lot of road presence. Rest assured a year from now all the haters will want to own one.
Appreciate 4
JDUNITNOW3453.00
JustChris17427.50
JTO245246.50
      07-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #149
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
Ugly as sin. Atleast this means our older cars will appreciate much quicker!!!
that would be nice but lets face the truth
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #150
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
Quote:
Ugly as sin. Atleast this means our older cars will appreciate much quicker!!!
that would be nice but lets face the truth
Lol it doesn't have to be monetary appreciation
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #151
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I imagine one can opt out of the sensor, no? Curious if it would be standard. I imagine not?
Driving assistance pro package in the US... sensor is for radar cruise control
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #152
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Lol it doesn't have to be monetary appreciation
perfect answer