Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications My experience with Mission Performance and Stage 2 Flash

08-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

My experience with Mission Performance and Stage 2 Flash

I just want to provide a brief update on my experience with Mission Performance.

I ordered my M340xi last May and received it in July. Unfortunately I never got around to doing a remote tune and when I took my car in for its first oil change in May of this year along with a couple of recalls and by doing this, they locked the ECU. As a result, I had to take my ECU out and ship it to Mission. Thankfully chenry and Orange_M340i here on the forums helped me with the removal of the ECU which took all of 5 minutes, simple. I talked to Alex before I shipped it and originally I was going to get a Stage 1 tune but from talking to Alex, it didn't seem like going Stage 2 on a stock car would be an issue so I decided on Stage 2 for $100 more and I also ordered some new NGK plugs from him as well pre-gapped to what he recommended.

I sent my ECU to Alex while I was away on vacation for a week hoping to get it back upon my return and when it didn't show up the following Monday I reached out to Alex and he said that I had the latest firmware by BMW and he had to crack it which took a few extra days and he said BMW is really making it hard to flash it with their latest firmware updates so hopefully now that he has cracked it, maybe it will help others with the same firmware I had and they won't have to wait as long.

I received the ECU a few days later and it was just plug and play, took about 10 minutes to put back in and make sure all the clips were secure. I fired the car up and no check engine lights, nothing. Everything seemed to run great even with the stock plugs on 93 pump gas which is what we have in MD and I drove it this way for a week until I was able to get my spark plugs changed but I didn't really get on it.

This past week I finally took my car to someone to get the spark plugs changed and I found out I actually had NGK spark plugs from the factory but since I had the new plugs already gapped by Alex I changed them anyway and kept the old spark plugs in case I ever need to change them again. Unfortunately on my way home from picking up my car a young girl hit me from behind at a stop sign denting my rear bumper on my "newish" M340 so I wasn't happy and now didn't feel like testing the car out.

That was this past Wednesday and today I finally got a chance to take it out and test it. I ran it a couple times hard and it never skipped a beat and runs as smooth as stock except that it has more power. Just driving it around normally you wouldn't notice a difference driving my car vs. a stock car. The only thing that is a minor annoyance is that for my factory remote start to work I have to keep the key card in the wireless charger spot in my center console.

So today while I am out driving a Red Kia Stinger GT flies by me onto an exit and I just had to see how my car would do. He could tell I was game for a little playing so he floored it on a long slightly curved ramp and I just reeled him in staying on his bumper. Once we merged on the highway we floored it and I went right by him although had I been stock I think it would have been really close, those things aren't slow.

All in all, for the money I paid for the tune and spark plugs, to me it was well worth it. It runs as smooth as stock but obviously pulls harder when pushed. Alex was great through the whole process answering any questions I had. Now I just need to get my rear bumper fixed because every time I look at my car my eyes are immediately drawn toward the dent in my bumper.
Appreciate 5
VipinLJ1936.50
EXE462097.00
chenry2346.00
Rev_Hi296.50
      08-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

omg I was reading like ok this is going to be good and then wow... Can't believe you got rear ended after just purchasing the tune! Insurance will pay for it but that is super shitty. Hope you can get it into the shop soon and get it taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Sucks about the accident, I know the feeling of having to see the damage. I had the same with my former 3IS. Congrats on the tune, btw, I still think you'd be faster than the Stinger. Those are heavier than the 3.3T and our cars stock are faster than the Genesis.
      08-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the tune, and sorry for the accident

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

You type too much

Congrats! MP tune is the best out there with Alex’s magic lol.
MHD is also great

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 2
chenry2346.00
      08-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Is the wireless key card to use remote start a common theme with aftermarket tunes? Forgive my noobness as I'm new to the BMW platform. I remember seeing about this in another post regarding a different tune, but it sounds like any aftermarket tune kills the normal use of remote start. That would be a major deal breaker for me. Can't say I feel comfortable leaving a key to my car in the car all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
Voodoo_G80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G

Glad I could help and guide you and you’re enjoying the tune! As for the remote start issue, Mission Performance is the only flash tune that is able to keep your remote start working but of course with the digital key card in its spot. Any other tune will disable your remote start function, as far as I know. Can’t wait to see what you do with your car in the future! Congrats again!
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

I keep hearing people say the ECU is hard to crack, but that wasn't my experience. I believe I have the latest firmware, 3/2020.30. I used the same tuner that did my 335i. It took him about 1.5 hours to tune and test the car.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
You type too much

Congrats! MP tune is the best out there with Alex’s magic lol.
MHD is also great
LOL I didn't realize how much I was typing until after I posted and then I was like, woah that is long.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
I keep hearing people say the ECU is hard to crack, but that wasn't my experience. I believe I have the latest firmware, 3/2020.30. I used the same tuner that did my 335i. It took him about 1.5 hours to tune and test the car.
Yes 2020.30 is the firmware I had that Alex said took a while. Just curious, who was your tuner and what do they use, BM3?

What's unfortunate is that there is a tuner that uses BM3 in my town but after numerous calls and messages left, no one ever called me back. On the one occasion I actually did talk to someone and they asked me what car I had and told me they would call me back and never did. One of the reasons I went with Mission.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
My understanding....

It's not so much cracking in general (while the latest revs at times take a bit longer) - it's remote cracking/unlock via the tuners software that has been challenging and is a cat and mouse chase between BMW and the tuners.

Most any competent neighborhood/local tuner can unlock the DME on site using run of the mill readily available software (bench unlock flash) but the real proprietary wizardry is left for those few tuners that can provide that service remotely.

Mission Performance, MHD & PTF come to mind as companies that play in the remote space. However none of those three are presently offering that service for the latest revs of software for the G20. I understand MP has the ability but is presently holding back for reasons only known to them.

Typically how this has gone with the B58 equipped cars - MP brings remote capabilities to market and shortly thereafter others come on board as well.

Hope this helps :-)
Appreciate 0