Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330i with non-adaptive suspension - Why does it still feel stiffer in Sport mode?

08-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #1
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

330i with non-adaptive suspension - Why does it still feel stiffer in Sport mode?

I'm curious how other people's 330i without adaptive suspension feel when the car is in Sport or Sport Individual mode? I typically use Sport Individual (Engine: Sport, Steering: Sport, Transmission: Comfort).

For some reason (maybe a placebo effect), despite the fact that the suspension is not adjustable, it seems to be much stiffer when the car is in Sport mode than when the car is in Comfort mode. Certainly the steering, engine, and transmission will feel and behave differently in each mode, but obviously the non-adaptive suspension does not change. Yet, I can feel an almost immediate difference in suspension feel when I switch from Comfort to Sport mode.

I'm wondering if it's my mind playing tricks or if other people feel the same way!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

Most probably when you turn on Sport mode - you are just driving faster, going around corners more aggressively and as a result feel less comfort. There is no magic =)
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #3
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I bet its the heavier steering which makes you think its more planted.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
I bet its the heavier steering which makes you think its more planted.
Yes, it will be the steering weighting/damping making the difference to the feel.

I'm aware from the introduction of the F10 & F30 chassis, many have felt a difference to how the suspension 'feels', Comfort to Sport, without adaptive suspension.

To the point, several users have been convinced there is also some additional active hardware, even without adaptive dampers. (Make a search, you'll find the discussions on the forum).

I know when I first tested the F10 and found this tangible difference of feel, I went back to the dealer and questioned exactly what spec' the car had. Trying to explain this, without adaptive suspension on the car. Can be felt just with the steering change in Sport mode, (drivetrain left unchecked).

The change in suspension feel is nothing like the difference when adaptive suspension is fitted, but there is a slight change in feel all the same.

Opens the old debate... that steering feedback is also/partially felt through the butt, not just the hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
Pineappleck
Registered
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW g21 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwDriverStockholm View Post
Most probably when you turn on Sport mode - you are just driving faster, going around corners more aggressively and as a result feel less comfort. There is no magic =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwDriverStockholm View Post
I got the same opinion just like yours
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Like the others said, I'm pretty sure its the steering feel making one think the car handles tighter. I don't think the non-adaptive suspension (base or sport) has any sort of electronics to adjust it in any way. It's just plain old struts and springs.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

With the normal (M suspension), BMW has introduced kind of responsive passive damping. This means when you drive more agressive, the suspension will react more prompt. So yes, you might feel the difference when you are in different drive modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably chalk it up to just a placebo effect of changing to sport mode!

I still swear the same road I go over in comfort mode feels so much stiffer in sport mode! BMW mind tricks! Haha
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      08-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibhooligan View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably chalk it up to just a placebo effect of changing to sport mode!

I still swear the same road I go over in comfort mode feels so much stiffer in sport mode! BMW mind tricks! Haha
Even in a straight line?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibhooligan View Post

Even in a straight line?
Yep even in a straight line! Going the same speed. Sport mode definitely creates more road feel through the steering so it could be that the road feel is somehow making it feel like a stiffer ride. When in reality it's just stiffer steering feel.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      08-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

take note of the speed in comfort mode and put one finger on the steering wheel in a straight line. Than do the same in sport mode with the same speed and one finger on the steering wheel. see if you feel a difference from your butt.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
killerturtle
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

I think it's because of the higher RPM. I know this because I keep the same dampers setting on sport mode (comfort) when switching from comfort to sport mode, and the car feels a bit stiffer. Mine has adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0