BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
So I was driving the other day back from lunch and I get a check control message noting a drivetrain malfunction. So I turned around and went straight to the dealer. On my way there it went away, oddly enough the power was super limited during that time like your low on fuel (I wasn't). Dealer wanted me to leave it for a few days to which I said no since it seemed fine and has been since. Who has has had this happen? I still need to have them pull the code off it.
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

had this happen once on AWD 335 (F30) when I tried to let it roll down the driveway. It went away after a while, so I assumed it is the car thinking something got messed up based on sensor readings. Maybe something similar in your case!
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
So I was driving the other day back from lunch and I get a check control message noting a drivetrain malfunction. So I turned around and went straight to the dealer. On my way there it went away, oddly enough the power was super limited during that time like your low on fuel (I wasn't). Dealer wanted me to leave it for a few days to which I said no since it seemed fine and has been since. Who has has had this happen? I still need to have them pull the code off it.
Probably nothing BUT

So You went to dealer, refused to leave the car BUT didn’t ask them at least to
Scan it while you was there. I’m confused
Appreciate 2
'Cane8514.50
      11-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6MC

Garage List
You should leave the car with the dealership to get checked.

Never had this experience before.
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Quote:
Probably nothing BUT

So You went to dealer, refused to leave the car BUT didn’t ask them at least to
Scan it while you was there. I’m confused
They wouldn't scan it without me leaving the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #6
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Do you have RaceChip installed or messed with any of the sensors? I had this happen when I removed the RaceChip head unit and drove the car.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

I’ve seen this happen on plenty of BMW’s. Drivetrain malfunction and it feels like your car has absolutely no power. Most times you can turn the car off and back on and it goes away. Even though it’s most likely nothing I would still make an appointment with your service center or you could wait to see if it ever happens again and if it does then take it in.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Do you have RaceChip installed or messed with any of the sensors? I had this happen when I removed the RaceChip head unit and drove the car.
100% stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Adaptive View Post
I've seen this happen on plenty of BMW's. Drivetrain malfunction and it feels like your car has absolutely no power. Most times you can turn the car off and back on and it goes away. Even though it's most likely nothing I would still make an appointment with your service center or you could wait to see if it ever happens again and if it does then take it in.
Yeah that's the plan. I'll see what code it threw, but so far it's been fine since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
This happened to me on my G80 xDrive. The way it turned on was by me turning the car on then off then turning it back on rlly quickly bcuz I was trying to show some buddies how it sounded with the valves open on start up. Then I got that warning but then I pulled into a parking lot. Got out, locked the car walked a little ways away. Then waited 3 minutes then I got back in and it was gone.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
This happened to me on my G80 xDrive. The way it turned on was by me turning the car on then off then turning it back on rlly quickly bcuz I was trying to show some buddies how it sounded with the valves open on start up. Then I got that warning but then I pulled into a parking lot. Got out, locked the car walked a little ways away. Then waited 3 minutes then I got back in and it was gone.
Mine just went away while driving, I tried turning it off and waiting then back on without any luck. Did you have them pull the code by chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Mine just went away while driving, I tried turning it off and waiting then back on without any luck. Did you have them pull the code by chance?
Quote:
Quote:
I did not :/
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did not :/
When I get a chance to have them check I'll let you know what it says.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #13
DennisLiu9797
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(in transit)

Hi, thank you for the post. I encountered the same issue. It happened to me twice the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I shut it down and restart the error message just disappeared. It did not come back after I switch from Costco gas to shell. Yesterday I drop off my vehicle for service and mentioned the issue. The service guy told me that they found an error message (from OBD, not showing in the infotainment). they tried to figure it out by contacting BMW USA. They want to keep my car for one more day to wait for response.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 07:59 PM   #14
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I highly recommend bimmerlink and a OBD cable. Just a good investment for piece of mind when the dealer makes things difficult.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:44 PM   #15
sashah60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLiu9797 View Post
Hi, thank you for the post. I encountered the same issue. It happened to me twice the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I shut it down and restart the error message just disappeared. It did not come back after I switch from Costco gas to shell. Yesterday I drop off my vehicle for service and mentioned the issue. The service guy told me that they found an error message (from OBD, not showing in the infotainment). they tried to figure it out by contacting BMW USA. They want to keep my car for one more day to wait for response.
any update on your issue. I had DT malfunction on my G80 which went away after i stopped and restarted the car. Took it to dealer and they said there is a Acceleration Sensor issue and they need to contact BMWNA. The car has been with the dealer for 2 days now. hoping for some update tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:39 PM   #16
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Good ole limp mode. Hopefully you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:44 PM   #17
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

i had the same issue , dropped it of twice and they couldnt find anything

please keep us updated
Appreciate 0