Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2022 330i Poor Interior Air Quality - High Co2 levels

06-27-2023, 05:37 AM   #23
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post
Its actually pretty upsetting. The car never gets fresh air even after 2 hours. You can start to feel it, it makes you tired after a while. I don't know what to do, everyone should be concerned actually all the vehicles are the same. Except the electric, I drove an iX a few weeks ago and that air flap worked on command.

Anyone know how I can escalate this further?
Keep a log of time versus air quality (perhaps you already have this), the more detailed the better.

Are you a BMW CCA member? I would send a letter to the editor of the Roundel with my log and detail the problem along with BMW's official response. If this really is a system-wide issue with G20 and perhaps others, I can't fathom BMW isn't aware of the brewing issue they need to deal with.

This weekend driving a 50 Jahre G80 M3 and the G87 M2 for about 30 minutes each, and I thought about your post a number of times during my drives lol with the assumption they have the same issue...
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
22Black33.00
      06-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #24
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i just drove 6 hrs with recirculation "ON"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #25
22Black
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i just drove 6 hrs with recirculation "ON"
the issue is not that you drive with recirculation on for an extended period of time but rather as Pete posted - the car should be programmed to open up that flap on an interval basis to allow fresh air. This is not happening on my vehicle or any vehicle I have tested.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      07-01-2023, 12:29 PM   #26
22Black
Private
Rep

I tried to code it out with no luck. I tried almost every code setting available in expert mode on Bimmercode and then resorted to my backup.

I am going to do one more test at some point over the next couple days and take a 1 hour drive straight and see if the flap opens once (just to make sure I am not missing anything). If it doesn't I don't see how this can not be a large issue that BMW should be addressing. Especially when you have a car full of 5 passengers, a vehicle is getting no outside air? This is crazy stuff..

I also found other threads about this exact same topic:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1741543
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      07-01-2023, 12:32 PM   #27
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Keep a log of time versus air quality (perhaps you already have this), the more detailed the better.

Are you a BMW CCA member? I would send a letter to the editor of the Roundel with my log and detail the problem along with BMW's official response. If this really is a system-wide issue with G20 and perhaps others, I can't fathom BMW isn't aware of the brewing issue they need to deal with.

This weekend driving a 50 Jahre G80 M3 and the G87 M2 for about 30 minutes each, and I thought about your post a number of times during my drives lol with the assumption they have the same issue...
Thank you! I am going to look more into this over the coming days!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:37 PM   #28
Marcelo Ribeiro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

4 people found dead inside a G20 BMW in Brazil after stopping for resting inside the car.

Asphyxia due to carbon monoxide poisoning is the main suspect for the cause of the deaths, according to the Police.

https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidian...llon-em-sc.htm
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2024, 11:43 PM   #29
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo Ribeiro View Post
4 people found dead inside a G20 BMW in Brazil after stopping for resting inside the car.

Asphyxia due to carbon monoxide poisoning is the main suspect for the cause of the deaths, according to the Police.

I’m just seeing this update on the post. I honestly wouldn’t rule it out that the issue I posted about could be the cause. The fresh air flap does not under any circumstances open in warm weather. Those conditions would have obviously been met given this happened in Brazil. If there was 4 passengers it would have compounded the time in which the oxygen was used up. If they were sleeping in the car the fresh air flap could have been the cause. Wow, just wow.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:14 AM   #30
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

There are other articles that suggest it had to do with the A/C.

“The suspicion of poisoning by the odorless and highly toxic substance had already been raised in the investigation. During the investigationreports confirmed that the gas came out through the vehicle’s air conditioningwhich went through at least three tamperings”

here
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:45 PM   #31
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post
I’m just seeing this update on the post. I honestly wouldn’t rule it out that the issue I posted about could be the cause. The fresh air flap does not under any circumstances open in warm weather. Those conditions would have obviously been met given this happened in Brazil. If there was 4 passengers it would have compounded the time in which the oxygen was used up. If they were sleeping in the car the fresh air flap could have been the cause. Wow, just wow.
I'm not sure what to think of this. Freaking me out a little. I may make sure to drive with window cracked in the summer...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:42 AM   #32
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo Ribeiro View Post

Umm that story refers to CO poisoning not CO2.
CO is from exhaust gases, so somehow they got exhaust gases via the a/c? Sounds weird, but certainly nothing to do with what we are taking about here.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #33
22Black
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
Umm that story refers to CO poisoning not CO2.
CO is from exhaust gases, so somehow they got exhaust gases via the a/c? Sounds weird, but certainly nothing to do with what we are taking about here.
I understand that. What I am saying is that given how the system works it has to be almost impossible for CO to come in through the AC. The car wasn't in an enclosed space either, just a parking spot. The fresh air flap should be opening periodically to let in fresh air and oxygen but there is an engineering defect or software bug that does not allow that to happen. The fresh air flap remains closed regardless if you have it set to recirculation or fresh air mode. There were 4 passengers, so naturally they consumed the oxygen much quicker. If they were in that vehicle sleeping for 3/4 hours with the AC on the car never got outside oxygen..its like a submarine.

BMW will never acknowledge this issue but I know for a fact this is how it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:13 AM   #34
the_abe
BDE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
The article states that Carbon Monoxide leaked into the cabin from a "perforation in the pipe between the engine and the dashboard."
Appreciate 0