Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Match up 8dsp installed - Huge improvement over HIFI

12-17-2023, 09:24 PM   #45
crpediem_2
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

I was worried about that at first as well, but it does not eliminate your settings on your radio or your BimmerCode
Appreciate 1
den11031.50
      12-22-2023, 09:04 AM   #46
perryinva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4S30i 2019 X3x30i

You don’t lose anything from disconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 04:22 PM   #47
Thunnus64
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

I finally got my Match UP8DSP from Allwoodsaudio today! So I'm ready to upgrade my G20 from the HiFi 676 system.

My install will be slightly different than other Match upgrades since I was able to get my hands on the Bimmertech Alpha One wiring harness and G20 mounting brackets for their re-branded UP8 amp.

I am assuming that the Bimmertech UP8 and Match UP8 are identical except for the cosmetic labeling but I won't be sure until I try and install it. All of the plugs on the input/output side seem to fit as they should.

The mounting plate to attach the UP8 to the OEM RAM frame fits perfectly as well.

The weather here in SoCal is rainy so I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete the install today but I'll report back when I do.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 09:04 PM   #48
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
No sound coming from external amp/subwoofer

So I just added an external amp and subwoofer to my Alpha One (Match UP 8DSP). I am not getting any sound from the sub. The auto on does go on as I attached the "remote on" cable from the Alpha One onto the sub amp. There is a blue light indicating power is going to the sub amp. i tried attaching another speaker just in case the subwoofer speaker is bad, but no sound either.

Is there a setting in DSP Tools that I need to change to enable the RCA line out on the Alpha One? I do have a Y cable connected to the line out of the Alpha One since the sub amp has 2 RCA inputs. I don't think that should be a issue.

Any help, suggestions appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:51 PM   #49
Thunnus64
Rep

Very nice setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Is there a setting in DSP Tools that I need to change to enable the RCA line out on the Alpha One?
I'm a total noob but here's my suggestion...

Check the IO (Input/Output) tab of DSP PC-Tool app to see if any input(s) has been assigned to Line Out 1. The example below shows a system without an external sub.

Drag one or more of the Analog Inputs to the bottom row that corresponds to Line Out 1. The example below shows Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 channels being routed to Line Out 1.

After that, you'll need to adjust the settings (crossover, gain, delay, etc) in the OUTPUTS menu.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:39 PM   #50
Thunnus64
Rep

Here are some photos of the installation. For reference, this is a 2024 330i with the HiFi 676 audio system.

The negative terminal for the battery is disconnected for safety.

Here is my RAM unit before any wires are disconnected.

The RAM bracket also holds the ECU for the cameras so some additional wiring harnesses need to disconnected in order to remove the RAM bracket.

The RAM unit is removed from the OEM bracket and is relocated to the Bimmertech bracket. The Match UP8 is screwed into place on the OEM RAM bracket.

I positioned the Match UP8 first. The OCD part of me really wanted the MATCH logo to be right side up but the wiring harnesses aren't long enough.

The RAM unit is then screwed into position and all of the wiring is connected. The green indicator light on the Match UP8 lit up as soon as the wiring was completed.

I fired up the audio before putting the trunk pieces back on just to verify that the amp was working and all is good. Gotta load some tunes and fiddle with the PC-Tools app but this is an amazing upgrade considering the new amp is powering the OEM speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #51
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunnus64 View Post
Very nice setup!

I'm a total noob but here's my suggestion...

Check the IO (Input/Output) tab of DSP PC-Tool app to see if any input(s) has been assigned to Line Out 1. The example below shows a system without an external sub.

Drag one or more of the Analog Inputs to the bottom row that corresponds to Line Out 1. The example below shows Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 channels being routed to Line Out 1.

After that, you'll need to adjust the settings (crossover, gain, delay, etc) in the OUTPUTS menu.
Thanks. I checked my I/O on a tune provided by crpediem and it has subwoofer 1 and 2 assigned to Line Out 1 and still no sound. I am at a loss.

I don't think there is signal coming out of the line out as I tried the wet finger test - when the radio is on, I touched the tip of the rca male from the Alpha One line out and no hum or buzz. I think if there was a signal coming out it would have hummed or buzzed?

I also tried swapping out different rca cables and not using the Y connector from the line out to the 2 line in of the sub amp.

I would think if the tuning file has line out enabled for a subwoofer, when I load the tuning file it should enable my amps line out as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #52
Thunnus64
Rep

I'm not sure this helps but this is from the Match UP8DSP instruction manual...

Appreciate 2
      12-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #53
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure this helps but this is from the Match UP8DSP instruction manual...

Thanks, I saw that as well on the manual. I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:24 PM   #54
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks, I saw that as well on the manual. I will give it a try.
Try this...
Attached Files
File Type: zip UP_8DSP_Sample-RAM.zip (3.4 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 10:57 PM   #55
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Try this...
Thanks. Will this enable the line out for the subwoofer signal?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 03:41 AM   #56
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Will this enable the line out for the subwoofer signal?
Yes, check this one out...
Attached Files
File Type: zip UP_8DSP_Sample-RAM.zip (3.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Technic; 12-25-2023 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #57
Thunnus64
Rep

I installed the Alpha One A90's under the seat today. Pretty simple per the various videos on Youtube. Seats need to be unscrewed and rocked back to gain access to the woofer enclosures.

Once the speaker cover is removed, OEM speaker assembly can be removed. In addition to the speaker wiring terminal, there is another wiring harness running along the outboard side of the passenger speaker than needs to be popped off at two points. The driver side speaker doesn't have this wiring harness, so removal is a little easier.

My 2024 G20 has a plastic enclosure holding the woofer. In order to separate the speaker from the housing, you have to use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.

Once separated, you can mount the Alpha One speaker into the OEM plastic housing. Since I bought the speakers used, there were no mounting screws included. 3/4" self-tapping screws from Amazon worked perfectly.

The speaker can now be put back in reverse order of the removal.

Appreciate 2
      12-25-2023, 10:51 PM   #58
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Thunnus64;30759963]I installed the Alpha One A90's under the seat today. Pretty simple per the various videos on Youtube. Seats need to be unscrewed and rocked back to gain access to the woofer enclosures.

Once the speaker cover is removed, OEM speaker assembly can be removed. In addition to the speaker wiring terminal, there is another wiring harness running along the outboard side of the passenger speaker than needs to be popped off at two points. The driver side speaker doesn't have this wiring harness, so removal is a little easier.

My 2024 G20 has a plastic enclosure holding the woofer. In order to separate the speaker from the housing, you have to use a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.

Once separated, you can mount the Alpha One speaker into the OEM plastic housing. Since I bought the speakers used, there were no mounting screws included. 3/4" self-tapping screws from Amazon worked perfectly.

The speaker can now be put back in reverse order of the removal.

Let us know what you think about those subs. I’ll be curious to see the comparison in quality and output from the stock speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:32 PM   #59
Thunnus64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpediem_2 View Post
Let us know what you think about those subs. I’ll be curious to see the comparison in quality and output from the stock speakers.
It's definitely a noticeable difference from the OEM woofers. Deeper and more definition. But not as noticeable as the Amp upgrade, which is pretty mind-blowing, IMO. I think I would've been completely happy with just the Amp upgrade but I got the Alpha One woofers and Bimmertech wiring harness and brackets as a package deal.

I'm still trying to get a handle on all of the non-physical aspects of the upgrade. The ASD coming through the center speaker in Sport mode was very distracting after installing the UP8 so I coded it off with Bimmercode, as well as the seatbelt warning chimes. In the IDrive menu, I deselected all of the Audio Confirmations (Touchscreen, Touchpad and Welcome). No loud gong sound when I enter the car. The turn signals are a little bit louder now but not too bad.

After playing with a few tunes that I received from different sources, I am currently using a modified version of crpediem_2's tune, which sounds very good. I input the measurements from the speakers to my seating position and then moved the soundstage slightly right so that it is not directly in front of me (my preference).

I also reassigned the Center channel from Rear R-L to Front R-L. You might get more of the bells and gongs coming through but I wanted to use the Fader control to make slight adjustments and obviously that's not going to work if you've got Rear signals going to the Front Center.

The biggest change I made was boosting Gain in the Advanced Gain Setup three notches, making sure that pink noise at 90% volume was not showing any clipping. This is described on pages 25-26 of the Match UP8 manual. I've attached the tune if anyone is interested in checking it out... just make sure you remove the .pdf extension.

This is still a work in progress. Most of it by using my very un-educated ears. I have a UMIK-1 measurement microphone on the way and I may tinker with RTA using REW. Not sure if I really want to venture down that rabbit hole!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 330i Match UP8 JTK.afpx.pdf (3.7 KB, 58 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:15 PM   #60
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes, check this one out...
Thanks, it activated my trunk subwoofer! It is definitely a bit bassy as I noticed you had the subwoofer in the chain for all channels - I'm sure to test my subwoofer. Now I need to figure out how to make crpediem 2's tune work with my trunk subwoofer.

crpediem - I noticed your tune does not have virtual routing engaged. Wonder if that is why it is not outputting to my trunk sub?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:18 PM   #61
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's definitely a noticeable difference from the OEM woofers. Deeper and more definition. But not as noticeable as the Amp upgrade, which is pretty mind-blowing, IMO. I think I would've been completely happy with just the Amp upgrade but I got the Alpha One woofers and Bimmertech wiring harness and brackets as a package deal.

I'm still trying to get a handle on all of the non-physical aspects of the upgrade. The ASD coming through the center speaker in Sport mode was very distracting after installing the UP8 so I coded it off with Bimmercode, as well as the seatbelt warning chimes. In the IDrive menu, I deselected all of the Audio Confirmations (Touchscreen, Touchpad and Welcome). No loud gong sound when I enter the car. The turn signals are a little bit louder now but not too bad.

After playing with a few tunes that I received from different sources, I am currently using a modified version of crpediem_2's tune, which sounds very good. I input the measurements from the speakers to my seating position and then moved the soundstage slightly right so that it is not directly in front of me (my preference).

I also reassigned the Center channel from Rear R-L to Front R-L. You might get more of the bells and gongs coming through but I wanted to use the Fader control to make slight adjustments and obviously that's not going to work if you've got Rear signals going to the Front Center.

The biggest change I made was boosting Gain in the Advanced Gain Setup three notches, making sure that pink noise at 90% volume was not showing any clipping. This is described on pages 25-26 of the Match UP8 manual. I've attached the tune if anyone is interested in checking it out... just make sure you remove the .pdf extension.

This is still a work in progress. Most of it by using my very un-educated ears. I have a UMIK-1 measurement microphone on the way and I may tinker with RTA using REW. Not sure if I really want to venture down that rabbit hole!
Gonna try your tune tomorrow. Hopefully my trunk subwoofer will work with it.

I still have all stock hifi speakers with the exception of a Skar 1500 amp and 12 inch subwoofer in their ported box.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #62
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, it activated my trunk subwoofer! It is definitely a bit bassy as I noticed you had the subwoofer in the chain for all channels - I'm sure to test my subwoofer. Now I need to figure out how to make crpediem 2's tune work with my trunk subwoofer.

crpediem - I noticed your tune does not have virtual routing engaged. Wonder if that is why it is not outputting to my trunk sub?
Woofer + Mid/tweeter = Full Range
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #63
Thunnus64
Rep

Quote:
Gonna try your tune tomorrow. Hopefully my trunk subwoofer will work with it.

I still have all stock hifi speakers with the exception of a Skar 1500 amp and 12 inch subwoofer in their ported box.
Glad to hear that you got your subwoofer to work!

Just as an FYI, if you enable the Virtual Channel Processing, which I've done as well, you would need to take an extra step in the IO menu if you were setting this up yourself.

Under the Main to Virtual Routing Tab of the IO menu, you need to assign the analog inputs to the virtual channels. Assuming that you want both Subwoofer inputs to go to your external sub, you would drag and drop Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 to the Pass Through 1/Virtual I channel.

And then, under the Virtual to Output Routing tab, you would assign the Pass Through 1 virtual channel to the Line Out 1 output.

This is how the subwoofer channel is handled in Technic's tune file and I've done the same on this modified version of my tune to account for your added subwoofer. Please feel free to check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 330i MatchUP8 with SUB JTK.afpx.pdf (3.7 KB, 59 views)
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2023, 11:12 AM   #64
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad to hear that you got your subwoofer to work!

Just as an FYI, if you enable the Virtual Channel Processing, which I've done as well, you would need to take an extra step in the IO menu if you were setting this up yourself.

Under the Main to Virtual Routing Tab of the IO menu, you need to assign the analog inputs to the virtual channels. Assuming that you want both Subwoofer inputs to go to your external sub, you would drag and drop Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 to the Pass Through 1/Virtual I channel.

And then, under the Virtual to Output Routing tab, you would assign the Pass Through 1 virtual channel to the Line Out 1 output.

This is how the subwoofer channel is handled in Technic's tune file and I've done the same on this modified version of my tune to account for your added subwoofer. Please feel free to check it out.

Sounds great! I tweaked the line out to 0 dB, polarity normal and decreased the Sub 1 and 2 to 0 dB.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #65
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

Thanks for posting about the gain adjustment, this helped with output. I should have read the manual lol

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #66
Thunnus64
Rep

As I was cleaning up around my garage, I found this bolt.

I'm wondering if I left out a bolt when re-assembling the trunk area after the Match UP8 install. Does this look familiar to any of you?
Appreciate 0