Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Match up 8dsp installed - Huge improvement over HIFI

12-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #67
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunnus64 View Post
As I was cleaning up around my garage, I found this bolt.

I'm wondering if I left out a bolt when re-assembling the trunk area after the Match UP8 install. Does this look familiar to any of you?
No bolts removed to access behind panels in trunk. They should all be the black plastic push pins to secure the panels to the inside of trunk.

All the bolts to secure the new amp and RAM module (once relocated) are much smaller than that bolt.

Did you do any exhaust work? I changed my stock exhaust to one from AWE and there were bolts simliar to that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #68
Thunnus64
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
No bolts removed to access behind panels in trunk. They should all be the black plastic push pins to secure the panels to the inside of trunk.

All the bolts to secure the new amp and RAM module (once relocated) are much smaller than that bolt.

Did you do any exhaust work? I changed my stock exhaust to one from AWE and there were bolts simliar to that one.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. The only other work I did was to install the Alpha One woofers under the seats but I'm fairly certain I replaced all of the hardware there as well.

Hmmm.... It could possibly be from something else completely.

I just received the UMIK-1 measurement microphone so at some point I'll be testing the waters on doing an RTA using REW or possibly the RTA tool within Audiotec-Fischer's PC-Tool.
Appreciate 1
den11031.50
      01-02-2024, 05:11 PM   #69
rjbaron0817
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpediem_2 View Post
Thanks for the files. I’m playing with them now. I’ll send you the update when it’s complete. My file is much fuller like I like my sound all around me versus the all‘s good which is more centered on the driver. But I had my EQ at flat and he’s got each speaker Eq’d separately, so I’m going to integrate those settings I’ll send you my original abd the hybrid between theirs and mine.
Purchased a 2020 X3 (no HK) and just had the Match 8 installed. Would you be able to message me the file? Also any basic information like, for example, how to access and change the settings. I’m not exactly technologically skilled. Couldn’t even figure out how to dm you. lol.

Appreciate any guidance. Ty!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:18 AM   #70
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' X7 40i

I have a 2022 X7 with hifi and installed this amp. Would the tune file from a 330/340i work for my setup? The speaker count and location seem to be pretty much the same. I know i have a larger interior. Keeping factory speakers for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:33 PM   #71
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
I have a 2022 X7 with hifi and installed this amp. Would the tune file from a 330/340i work for my setup? The speaker count and location seem to be pretty much the same. I know i have a larger interior. Keeping factory speakers for now.
Adjust to taste...
Attached Files
File Type: zip UP_8DSP_Sample-X7-RAM.zip (3.4 KB, 34 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:12 PM   #72
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Adjust to taste...
Thank you Technic. Can I ask why in this tune I see 50% of the outputs and 50% of subwoofer mapped to Virtual A-D? In other tunes posted I saw 100% of front L/R and rear L/R mapped to Virtual A-D with no subwoofer added. I don't understand what benefit this can have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:15 PM   #73
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. The only other work I did was to install the Alpha One woofers under the seats but I'm fairly certain I replaced all of the hardware there as well.

Hmmm.... It could possibly be from something else completely.

I just received the UMIK-1 measurement microphone so at some point I'll be testing the waters on doing an RTA using REW or possibly the RTA tool within Audiotec-Fischer's PC-Tool.
Wow
I decided to check in here- ordering a UMIK-1 too since i also want to use REW for my car as well as my dedicated home theater.
Im curious how the RTA works inside the pc-tool as well
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #74
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
Thank you Technic. Can I ask why in this tune I see 50% of the outputs and 50% of subwoofer mapped to Virtual A-D? In other tunes posted I saw 100% of front L/R and rear L/R mapped to Virtual A-D with no subwoofer added. I don't understand what benefit this can have.
There are no full range signals in the RAM outputs - front/rear + woofers create a full range signal in the UP 8DSP inputs. Then you can tune your system without any frequency limitation per channel.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:32 PM   #75
Thunnus64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbaron0817 View Post
Purchased a 2020 X3 (no HK) and just had the Match 8 installed. Would you be able to message me the file? Also any basic information like, for example, how to access and change the settings. I’m not exactly technologically skilled. Couldn’t even figure out how to dm you. lol.

Appreciate any guidance. Ty!!
Assuming you've got a tune file(s) for your X3, you'll need a laptop connected to your Match UP8 via USB. The software that configures the UP8 can be downloaded from the Audiotec-Fischer website...

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/t...ool/downloads/

Once you open up the PC-Tool software and connect to your amp, your screen should look similar to this...

Using the LOAD button in the top left corner, you can access any tune file (*.afpx) and load it into the amp. You can store up to 10 tunes onto the amp.

Some basic information regarding the PC-Tool software can be found on Audiotec-Fischer's website...

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/k...e/DSP-PC-Tool/

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:40 AM   #76
Kieral
Rep
Drives: '09 320d e91 MSport

RE: Install - My harness has a terminator on the centre channel input i.e you don't plug it into the amp. I'm guessing it just sums the speaker channels to create and output for the centre which makes sense...

BUT... it looking at Dave's pic, it appears he's taken the terminator off and inserted the 'channel input' into 'HIGH LEVEL INPUT F E' and not used the sub inputs??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #77
rjbaron0817
Rep

Tech-novice question...how do I get that to save in non-pdf form. I tried a few different routes. Would it be possible for you to post the afpx here or send it to my directly? I want to load in what I can pick up from this thread. Thank you!

Quote:
It's definitely a noticeable difference from the OEM woofers. Deeper and more definition. But not as noticeable as the Amp upgrade, which is pretty mind-blowing, IMO. I think I would've been completely happy with just the Amp upgrade but I got the Alpha One woofers and Bimmertech wiring harness and brackets as a package deal.

I'm still trying to get a handle on all of the non-physical aspects of the upgrade. The ASD coming through the center speaker in Sport mode was very distracting after installing the UP8 so I coded it off with Bimmercode, as well as the seatbelt warning chimes. In the IDrive menu, I deselected all of the Audio Confirmations (Touchscreen, Touchpad and Welcome). No loud gong sound when I enter the car. The turn signals are a little bit louder now but not too bad.

After playing with a few tunes that I received from different sources, I am currently using a modified version of crpediem_2's tune, which sounds very good. I input the measurements from the speakers to my seating position and then moved the soundstage slightly right so that it is not directly in front of me (my preference).

I also reassigned the Center channel from Rear R-L to Front R-L. You might get more of the bells and gongs coming through but I wanted to use the Fader control to make slight adjustments and obviously that's not going to work if you've got Rear signals going to the Front Center.

The biggest change I made was boosting Gain in the Advanced Gain Setup three notches, making sure that pink noise at 90% volume was not showing any clipping. This is described on pages 25-26 of the Match UP8 manual. I've attached the tune if anyone is interested in checking it out... just make sure you remove the .pdf extension.

This is still a work in progress. Most of it by using my very un-educated ears. I have a UMIK-1 measurement microphone on the way and I may tinker with RTA using REW. Not sure if I really want to venture down that rabbit hole!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:34 AM   #78
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

You just have to rename it and remove ".pdf" from the end
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:47 AM   #79
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
You just have to rename it and remove ".pdf" from the end
Also if you don't see the "afpx" extension on the file, on the folder you have the file downloaded the file to, click "view" and make sure "file name extensions" is checked off.

Last edited by den110; 01-08-2024 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:31 PM   #80
Kieral
Rep

I installed the MATCH8 amp today and just loaded crpediem_2's config. To my ears, it sounds about the same until going over 60% volume, where the stock amp starts to get muddy. The bump in the bass meant I could turn down the EQ on the HU, but then it sounded the same, too.

I'm happy-ish, but given the price of the amp for what I think is a mediocre improvement at normal listening volumes (at least with OE speakers), I may pull it out and fit to my '22 Skoda Octavia VRS. The VRS has aftermarket Flax Focals speakers and subs but is driven by a Focal 4.320 amp with no DSP and sounds worse than stock. The OE EQ sounds worse on the better speakers and the Focal 4.320 can't correct anything without DSP. I think the Match8 would be a much better improvement on that car.

Some thoughts on crpediem_2's tune. I played around with it, and just about everything I did made it worse. Hats off to to crpediem_2 for a great config. What I did do that didn't make it worse but didn't sound much better either:

-Lowered the centre speaker volume

-Added in the subs to the virtual fronts @ 30% as I figured the factory EQ might have a higher LPF than what is set in the DSP. i.e. DSP is trying to send 60hz to the fronts, but the input source isn't feeding anything that low to the amp anyway; by adding the subs to the virtual channel for the fronts, I figured you have a fuller range to play with in the DSP.

One thought - although the speaker delays are set in the DSP based on the distance each speaker is from the driver's head, wouldn't that only work if the inputs didn't have any delay already?
I would assume the RAM output already has a delay based on the drivers; my Skoda does. If the OE out does have a delay, I have no idea how the amp can sum out-of-sync channels
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:51 PM   #81
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I spent a couple of hours tuning the amp in my X7. Got to a point where it sounds good but I think the factory hifi speakers just stink. Sound muddy and highs are weak. Many said they are the same as in HK system but after looking around I see that HK mids are 15w and the hifi are 10w and bmw has different part numbers for speakers for HK and Hifi. I think I might grab a set of Alpha one speakers or vocals. Probably start with just front doors and leave rears, center, and subs to see what I gain. Anyone have this amp with aftermarket speakers? My HK in my 650i sounded better to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:48 PM   #82
crpediem_2
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

gain setting software and blinker sound

This question has come up several times so i thought it would be advantageous to post a picture. You can adjust the gain setting in the software - see red boxes in picture. Advantage - raises volume without having to turn up volume knob as high. Disadvantage - it also raises turn signal volume.

If someone has a workaround, maybe in the IO tab?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-16-2024, 02:49 PM   #83
rjbaron0817
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpediem_2 View Post
This question has come up several times so i thought it would be advantageous to post a picture. You can adjust the gain setting in the software - see red boxes in picture. Advantage - raises volume without having to turn up volume knob as high. Disadvantage - it also raises turn signal volume.

If someone has a workaround, maybe in the IO tab?
Thanks for posting this!

Definitely curious is someone has a g20 code workaround the the blinker/turn signal. The volume and actual noise are both brutal on mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 08:02 PM   #84
Thunnus64
Rep

There ARE some workarounds for the loud turn signals. As crpediem_2 has shared, there are gain settings in the DCM menu under the Signal Management tab. He showed the standard gain adjustment, which is a single, global adjustment for all inputs. If you choose the Advanced Gain Setup, gain can be adjusted for three different input pairings (Front, Rear and Subwoofer) independently. The turn signal is contained in the FRONT L channel so increasing the gain of the Front R&L pair (or increasing the global gain) will increase the turn signal level. So one trick is to leave the Front Input gain at a lower level.

I stumbled onto this after receiving a tune from Bimmertech, explaining that I had a Match UP8 DSP connected with a Bimmertech wiring harness and upgraded Bimmertech Alpha One subwoofers. The tune was very much to my liking as it seemed to have a more "diffuse" sound wasn't so front center-focused. The tune also reduced the output gains for the Front L and Center speakers to help lower the turn signal sound. I tweaked it a bit to my own tastes and like it better than my attempts at creating an all-original tune using the UMIK-1 microphone and the RTA settings within the PC-Tools software.

If anyone is interested in trying the tune out, please have a go. Just delete the ".pdf" from the end of the filename.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf UP8 MGU A1 ATF L JTK.afpx.pdf (5.5 KB, 49 views)
Appreciate 4
      01-16-2024, 10:57 PM   #85
Kieral
Rep

Curious, looking at crpediem_2 screenshots, and my own, we both have the FX tab greyed out, so can't enable Augmented Bass or Real Center. Thunnus64 you seem to have your FX tab enabled.
We all have the Match8 DSP, so not sure what's different.
Any thoughts on why it's greyed out?

EDIT - Nevermind, I realised it's because I'd not selected the VCP option.

Last edited by Kieral; 01-16-2024 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:12 PM   #86
Thunnus64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieral View Post
Curious, looking at crpediem_2 screenshots, and my own, we both have the FX tab greyed out, so can't enable Augmented Bass or Real Center. Thunnus64 you seem to have your FX tab enabled.
We all have the Match8 DSP, so not sure what's different.
Any thoughts on why it's greyed out?
I believe that crpediem_2 purposefully chose to bypass Virtual Channel Processing on his initial tunes. I wanted access to the Bass Processing and Center Processing features so I enabled Virtual Channel Processing on all my tunes.

If you want to access VCP on a tune that has the FX menu greyed out, go the DCM menu and select the Virtual Channel Processing tab. You should be able to enable VCP. But once it is selected, you can't reverse it and go back to Standard Processing with that file.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 01:45 PM   #87
crpediem_2
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

I did Bypass the virtual processing. I tried several options, including the virtual center as well as bass enhancement , but I could not get the sound the way I liked. It always sounded artificial or altered to me. I prefer the standard settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:17 AM   #88
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Curious if the specific frequency of the turn signals can be found and then reduced on the front left channel and maybe even center channel if needed. Not sure how this would effect some genres, but if the turn signals are for arguments sake somewhere between 305-320mhz, would reducing this range not help?

I am also seeing that the factory amp likes to boost bass on the lower volume and only increase treble on higher volume. The Hifi tweeters just sound dead to me so I will be replacing at least the front doors with Alpha one or maybe even Focal. Should I bother with center channel and rears?
Appreciate 0