Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Wastegate unable to close within self-calibration window

04-29-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Wastegate unable to close within self-calibration window

Been a really long time since I posted here but since I've got a pretty technical topic, figured I'd give this group a shot instead of the usual FB group drivel.

2020 M340i, heavily modified.
Currently on DAW Ultra Flow-X (but this issue existed on 2 previous upgraded turbos)

The title is pretty self explanatory. I've removed the WG actuator, manually compressed the threaded actuator rod to 26mm from the tip of the housing. When the adjustment nuts are within the self-calibration window, ECUTEK thinks the WG is closed, but it is not.
When I move the adjustment nuts to where the WG can actually close fully, I'm outside the self-calibration window and it throws stop limit DTC codes.

When I do the self-calibration sweep and observe from inside the downpipe, it briefly does close all the way and then goes back to the slightly open position you see in the photos I attached.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I've talked with tuner who does remote ISTA programming and according to him, there isn't a way to move or reset the calibration window through ISTA:
"ISTA doesn't actually have wastegate calibration function. It has a job to run to tell you how many mm it's out of calibration and the official repair from BMW is to just replace the actuator."

Apparently no one I've talked to has ever heard of an actuator actually going bad, tho....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
Theconejo
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Not sure this pertains but why not share info. I’m coming from vw’s which had a lot of waste gate actuator failures due to the design of it. Also Personal experience with the waste gate failing on my turbo.

There are many pictures and documentation on the vwvortex thread that the waste gate isn’t fully closed when the car isn’t on. The pressure when the engine is running will shutter it. The design led to failures, as mentioned, prompting dtc and cel. Vw doesn’t sell just the wastegate actuator so they want you to buy a whole new turbo. I got a used is20 and bought a cts actuator which has a better design and swapped all the parts.

Along with different actuator and turbo I also put some high temp grease on the hinges of the waste gate as that was also a root cause of failure for some people. The flap is connected to a little rod in the turbo housing, this would get some buildup and jam leading to the waste gate actuator to fail since there’s too much pressure when the motor kicks in the open and close the waste gate.

If you removed the actuator then my small brain logic says that the window for dialing the rod in is way smaller than what is documented as its relying solely on pressure buildup to open and close.

It’s early af for me with little sleep and barely any coffee in me, but figured I’d share some info. Will keep following this as wastegate issues are triggering to me. 😂

Last edited by Theconejo; 05-10-2024 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0