Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i with RWD or AWD?

06-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #89
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

I have had my share of both 2002 325i (RWD), 2006 330i vert ZSP (RWD)--great car--2009 E90 335i (RWD) , and 2016 340i X Drive.

Now I would never NOT get X--Drive... why? Crazy, unpredictable weather.

I live in the mid South and in a single day I have experience 40 degree temperature shifts...rain turning to sleet...back to rain...then snow.

We get these micro bursts of severe weather...often not forecasted.

I have been happy to have the X Drive when I'm out on the highway in mid March and from out of no where you hit heavy rain ...followed by sleet/snow.

My 340i X Drive with A/S tires holds firm and sure footed.

I would consider RWD...if the darn weather here was just more predicable.

You could remove your snow tires in April and still unexpectedly be in trouble!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #90
RG500
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

I agree
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #91
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
the M340 was designed to be xdrive only originally so I would argue that is the optimal setup... rwd model only added late in development for the USA market
The more you repeat a falsehood the more you and others believe it. Yep that tactic works really well...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 3
      06-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #92
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The more you repeat a falsehood the more you and others believe it. Yep that tactic works really well...
Despite prior education on this forum, he repeats that canard again. You are right. It is not true, nor the manner in which vehicles are developed, as I explained before. I was on teams developing vehicles for decades at another OEM, and what he fantasizes (to support his decision and screen name) is not how it happens.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #93
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Has anyone that purchased RWD m340i had any regrets? I have had a 340i last 3 years in RWD without any issues, and so opted for the same thing for my new M340i. I do experience loss of traction applying a lot of throttle on slick roads, but in daily driving the traction control handles it well (just lose power obviously). I'm hoping the limited slip diff will make this even better in the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #94
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
M340i - RWD or AWD?

So I am in the market for a new car in the next 6 to 12 months. I had been thinking about looking for a used 2016 or 2017 M3. I recently attended the BMW I am driving event and got to drive a competition package and four and loved everything about it.

This weekend I took my X5 in for service and they gave me a brand new M340i as a loaner.

What a great car!! I'm sure the M3 guys will jump all over me and say it's not a true M car but it has just enough of the sporty stuff to make it really fun. It has the brakes it has a store your suspension and it is really fast and it has all the little pops and crackles when you let off the gas..reminded me of my test drive in the M4 and M2!

I also love the newer interior and all of the updated technology - digital dash, touch display - nice stuff. I still think I would leave it toward the more sporty and more aggressive and raw M3... but this loaner car has at least got me looking at deals on an M340i as a consideration. Nit sure if I'd lease or buy - BUT - I was curious what people think about the all wheel drive versus rear wheel drive option as you can get it in North America either way.

I've had Acura's with SH-AWD and loved that system - it truly made those FWD biased cars handle really well - does an AWD 340 get handling benefits from the AWD system or is it purely for enhanced traction at launch or in bad weather ?

I live in so cal - so no need for a bad weather setup - if only opt for AWD if it gave true performance advantages.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #95
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
So I am in the market for a new car in the next 6 to 12 months. I had been thinking about looking for a used 2016 or 2017 M3. I recently attended the BMW I am driving event and got to drive a competition package and four and loved everything about it.

This weekend I took my X5 in for service and they gave me a brand new M340i as a loaner.

What a great car!! I'm sure the M3 guys will jump all over me and say it's not a true M car but it has just enough of the sporty stuff to make it really fun. It has the brakes it has a store your suspension and it is really fast and it has all the little pops and crackles when you let off the gas..reminded me of my test drive in the M4 and M2!

I also love the newer interior and all of the updated technology - digital dash, touch display - nice stuff. I still think I would leave it toward the more sporty and more aggressive and raw M3... but this loaner car has at least got me looking at deals on an M340i as a consideration. Nit sure if I'd lease or buy - BUT - I was curious what people think about the all wheel drive versus rear wheel drive option as you can get it in North America either way.

I've had Acura's with SH-AWD and loved that system - it truly made those FWD biased cars handle really well - does an AWD 340 get handling benefits from the AWD system or is it purely for enhanced traction at launch or in bad weather ?

I live in so cal - so no need for a bad weather setup - if only opt for AWD if it gave true performance advantages.
If weather isn't an issue, it's RWD all day for numerous reasons highlighted in the above thread.

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #96
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Good thread here. The issue we have with G20 - there is no background for comparison. Most people are drawing from previous experience on prior models but all the previous models lacked limited slip in RWD models and the x drive was an afterthought and did not handle well or have similar suspension set up.

G20 (especially M340) changed that.

RWD car has Limited slip standard which improves the handling dramatically (even in snow)

Also AWD execution on M340 is one of the best i have driven. it has similar M suspension hight/tuning to rwd and is really rwd biased so it is hard to tell even you are driving a awd car.

So i would say if you track the car - RWD, street - AWD.
Appreciate 4
Fuller1216.50
geddylee176.00
530iDriver1707.50
      08-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #97
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series since 2004

M340i Xdrive vs rwd

My local dealer has the exact car I want with all options except Xdrive.

He says I can get a better deal on a car that is in stock.

Does anyone know how big the difference is? Is the 0-60 really that much faster and more aggressive with xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #98
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBro View Post
My local dealer has the exact car I want with all options except Xdrive.

He says I can get a better deal on a car that is in stock.

Does anyone know how big the difference is? Is the 0-60 really that much faster and more aggressive with xdrive?
Did you actually read any of this five page thread? Your questions are answered multiple times. Why would you get xDrive in San Antonio? If the dealer has the exact car you want sans xDrive buy it.

Edit: just saw that your post was merged into this already existing thread. Read through this thread and you’ll get more info than you want to know.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #99
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

Other things to consider...moving and travel.

I live in Memphis...which does occasionally get snow and ice. Winters bring more heavy rain than anything. I could make an argument for RWD or AWD.

However, I travel during Winter on business and sometimes that takes me north towards St. Louis and Chicago. Easier to drive sometimes and avoid the airlines. I have less worry with X-Drive.

Also, if I relocate for work to a Northern state...don't need to worry.

In short, if you travel during Winter or could face a career move for work...an XDrive car does give you more flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #100
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Good thread here. The issue we have with G20 - there is no background for comparison. Most people are drawing from previous experience on prior models but all the previous models lacked limited slip in RWD models and the x drive was an afterthought and did not handle well or have similar suspension set up.

G20 (especially M340) changed that.

RWD car has Limited slip standard which improves the handling dramatically (even in snow)
Back in the day, my little brother owned a 2008 Lexus IS-F (open diff) and I owned a 2011 IS-F (torsen diff). Cornering performance and cornering exit speed was night and day with the torsen (we both agreed). It was the feedback and predictability of the LSD that made it so much better because you knew how to modulate the throttle at the limit.

Do you know if the limited slip on the M340 is mechanical or electronic? I can't find any clear documentation on it. MotorAuthority states, "electronically controlled limited-slip differential is standard". I don't know what the heck the means. Is this the LSD in question?
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...P-DIFFERENTIAL
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #101
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

i live in NC where we have strong thunderstorms popping up out of no where...Why do people think RWD is so bad in rain? I have RWD with all season tires and I tried my best to spin out and traction held firm during the last storm. I cornered as hard as i could and no slippage. Even in the rain on the highway, car feels planted at 70-80mph. Plus i'm getting 40 mpg and the front end feels light and fun. Might be different with summer tires but AWD won't save you then either.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #102
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

South Florida gets extremely heavy rains, we deal with this yearly during the hurricane season. Despite all that I have always managed fine with RWD. I have never owned an AWD car, who knew. For the guys who deal with snow/ice I can see the need.
      08-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #103
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
South Florida gets extremely heavy rains, we deal with this yearly during the hurricane season. Despite all that I have always managed fine with RWD. I have never owned an AWD car, who knew. For the guys who deal with snow/ice I can see the need.
In South Florida AWD is a waste, like high powered cars north of 300HP. XDrive is added weight, cost and complexity. Dealing with torrential rainstorms with only RWD has never been a problem.

Maybe one could make a case for a 4x4 tall vehicle due to the massive flooding in most areas...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 3
alex23642857.00
Pauleebe379.50
Ilyam5890.00
      09-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #104
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
If you've ever done long distance trips with an xDrive, you will notice that you constantly have to give a lot more throttle than RWD variants to restart the forward momentum.
I was positively surprised by highway mileage of E92 M3 (12-14km/L on Japanese highways) when I'm driving like a grandma but I couldn't say the same for M240i xDrive .
      04-07-2020, 02:56 AM   #105
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I'm curious what you guys think the real world performance differences are between these two models. I think they are equally awesome at everything else.

I live in so cal - and don't have plans to drive in snow. I'll see occasional Southern California rain and that's it.

Will the AWD launch harder and faster? What about the added weight of AWD and how does that play into other aspects of performance?

I guess basically I'm wondering if I'm looking strictly at a car that's never going to see bad weather in a sunny area like Southern California doesn't even make sense to consider an all-wheel-drive car given that it's going to cost a bit more?

I had a rear wheel drive version as a loaner car for about a week and it was a total blast!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #106
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
I'm curious what you guys think the real world performance differences are between these two models. I think they are equally awesome at everything else.

I live in so cal - and don't have plans to drive in snow. I'll see occasional Southern California rain and that's it.

Will the AWD launch harder and faster? What about the added weight of AWD and how does that play into other aspects of performance?

I guess basically I'm wondering if I'm looking strictly at a car that's never going to see bad weather in a sunny area like Southern California doesn't even make sense to consider an all-wheel-drive car given that it's going to cost a bit more?

I had a rear wheel drive version as a loaner car for about a week and it was a total blast!
RWD will always be more fun to toss around than AWD. Steering feel is better too. This car is big and heavy enough. You don't want to add more weight to the equation if you don't have to.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 2
alex23642857.00
hans007604.50
      04-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #107
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:

I live in socal and didn't even think about getting awd.

came from an Audi with Quattro and it's just more weight and the car feels more balanced with rwd. having the front wheels also spinning just corrupts your steering. if you live anywhere that you don't need awd for inclement weather reasons I'd get rwd. they don't make the Corvette or most Ferraris etc in awd for a reason
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #108
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
I wish I had your problem! I live in Cleveland so by all rights if I don't want to skid off the road when it gets cold and slick I'm supposed to have X drive! (I run winters naturally)

I chose the RWD for three big reasons.

1. Weight. Coming from an E90, weight was always going to be more but a 200 lb difference is a big difference compared to a 400 lb difference. To put that in perspective, that is heavier than some 5 series!

2. Feel. When you have as little of it as you do with an EPS rack every modicum of feel is more precious than gold.

3. Fun. For me the X drive is hugely impressive in performance and if I was tracking, I'm fairly confident it would be the most optimal tool. I think it plays it too safe sometimes. The RWD gave me a bigger grin when I was autocrossing it last year!

From a performance perspective, you are blessed with canyon runs I just can't have. If you're a drag strip, stoplight racer type, you'll gain some tenths with the xdrive. If you're a canyon carver, you'll probably be happier with the RWD. Either way, you can't go wrong, good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #109
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I live in socal and didn't even think about getting awd.

came from an Audi with Quattro and it's just more weight and the car feels more balanced with rwd. having the front wheels also spinning just corrupts your steering. if you live anywhere that you don't need awd for inclement weather reasons I'd get rwd. they don't make the Corvette or most Ferraris etc in awd for a reason
Coming from Audi's myself, it's more the engine placement than the AWD that gives an Audi the nose heavy feel. I have the xDrive M340i and it feels WAY more rear drive compared to my S4 and even more so than my S5 Sportback.

This is the most RWD feeling AWD car I've ever owned. Unfortunately we don't get the RWD in Canada, but I was visiting my father in North Carolina a few months back and test drove a RWD M340i...my xDrive M340i arrived literally a week after and I honestly didn't feel much difference (if any) in steering, handling, and to some extent rear "action" between the two. The xDrive in this car feels so much like RWD during most conditions. If you are able to drive the two back to back I would encourage anyone to do so to see how similar they actually are.

That being said, I totally get why you would get the RWD if you are in a climate that doesn't need AWD. Save some money, save a little weight, lose a bit on traction, but possibly gain a tiny bit on fun (again not by much and especially not so much in Sport Plus).
hans007604.50
      04-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #110
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
One thing to think about with the M340 in particular is that the suspension and setup were optimized for the awd model. The rwd version is an afterthought being sold in the US market only where there is still significant traditionalist pushback against awd. Globally the m340 is xdrive only, the demo cars they had the press track test were all awd. Personally I would want the setup the car was planned, developed and optimized for.
Rather than the lighter car with noticeably better steering feel?
Appreciate 0