BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 2021 M340 Brake Feel

04-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Recently took delivery of a 2021 M340i (without the tire/brake/cooling package). The brakes have a weird feeling to me when coming to a complete stop. Typically, I slowly let off pressure on the brake pedal as the car almost comes to a complete stop which makes for a very smooth stop. On this car, it feels like the brakes almost stick down a little bit and as I let off the brake, they either still grab strong or let go altogether. I don't even have 1000 miles yet so maybe they need to break in more? Does anyone else notice this at all? Hopefully I made sense in my explanation. The brakes are excellent otherwise and this is honestly the only complaint I have about the car at all (and it's a very minor complaint).
Appreciate 1
tarrant64116.00
      05-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I have this issue in mine, where I try to make a smooth stop and it just doesn't happen. For me, without even modulating the brakes even a little bit, the car will abruptly just stop. I can rarely get a smooth stop.

I figured it was break-in, but I've put on 2-3K miles and still it's the same. I have a track day this weekend which will really wear them in and I'm also having my brake fluid changed out (upgraded) tomorrow so hoping either of those helps the issue.

If it does not, then I have another track day the following month and will likely swap the pads out then.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
I have this issue in mine, where I try to make a smooth stop and it just doesn't happen. For me, without even modulating the brakes even a little bit, the car will abruptly just stop. I can rarely get a smooth stop.

I figured it was break-in, but I've put on 2-3K miles and still it's the same. I have a track day this weekend which will really wear them in and I'm also having my brake fluid changed out (upgraded) tomorrow so hoping either of those helps the issue.

If it does not, then I have another track day the following month and will likely swap the pads out then.
Yeah I'm only at 800 miles so I was hoping they still needed to break in. Let me know if you have any luck after tracking it and the fluid change! Maybe air bubbles in the brake system?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Same experience with my 330i. I don't think it's related to breaking in as my car is at 9k miles.

Very difficult to come to a full stop smoothly. Feels like the brakes suddenly clamp down once you almost come to a stop. I wonder if it's intentionally programmed this way so auto start/stop can kick in faster... Could also be the rear brakes being overly eager while auto hold is enabled?
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
tarrant64116.00
      05-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Same experience with my 330i. I don't think it's related to breaking in as my car is at 9k miles.

Very difficult to come to a full stop smoothly. Feels like the brakes suddenly clamp down once you almost come to a stop. I wonder if it's intentionally programmed this way so auto start/stop can kick in faster... Could also be the rear brakes being overly eager while auto hold is enabled?
I don't have auto hold enabled but I do agree that it might have to do with the auto start/stop functionality. I was also thinking maybe it has to do with the mild hybrid but since you're seeing the same thing in a 330, I can cross that one off the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I also agree with the start/stop likely playing a part in the abrupt stopping. If you want to validate that though, just drive around in sport for a bit and see if it’s still doing it. For me, I thought it was too.

I got the fluid swapped today for this weekends track day. I’ll need to do more driving on it, however the brake feel is markedly improved. I want to say the stopping feel seemed more controllable too to get it to be smooth. I did have a start/stop interfere a couple times but on the way home from work later I had it in sport and frankly it seemed much better.

I’ll update after a couple more days and track day this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Experiencing the same thing with mine. At first I thought it was me. The brakes certainly grab alot harder on this car. Not easy to come to a smooth stop. Maybe eventually I will develop a feel to do smooth stops.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
I don't have auto hold enabled but I do agree that it might have to do with the auto start/stop functionality. I was also thinking maybe it has to do with the mild hybrid but since you're seeing the same thing in a 330, I can cross that one off the list.
I should clarify that I have auto start/stop coded off. I do use auto hold, though.

I played around with various combinations today and it felt the same every which way. Comfort mode with auto hold (AH), comfort without AH, sport with AH, sport without AH.

I guess that's just how the car is. The brake feel is a bit weird in general. Maybe a case of too much electronic assistance... It's been a while, but I remember having a similar problem with coming to a full stop smoothly in current gen X5s as well. The brake feel on the X5 is even more over-assisted, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

320i with normal brakes

I'm trying to be used to brake smoothly too, but is difficult due to non-linear response from brake system to foot-brake-load.
Now i'm able to do a smooth stop 60% of time, taking account this non-linear response. When you start pressing, brake power increase exponentially forcing an abrupt stop if you continue a linear foot pressure.
My trick (when works) is signal brake system with a pressure and inmediatly maintain without pressing more (and sometimes, pressing less) until stop.
Its difficult to explain, before this g20 i ended braking pushing pedal more at the end, now i tend to push pedal more at the beginning, and less at the end. And ussually works for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #10
Slides2021
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I have the 21 M340i (without the upgraded brake package) and I feel completely different. The brakes are pretty smooth and certainly a lot smoother than my previous Audi S5 which has agressive brakes

In fact I find the brakes a little spongey on the M340i, especially for a performance car. I would prefer a more confidence inspiring brake feel. Sometimes when coming to a stop quickly, it feels like the car won't stop in time.

I have very little issue with stopping smoothly unless auto start stop interferes but even then it's not too bad
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #11
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slides2021 View Post
I have the 21 M340i (without the upgraded brake package) and I feel completely different. The brakes are pretty smooth and certainly a lot smoother than my previous Audi S5 which has agressive brakes

In fact I find the brakes a little spongey on the M340i, especially for a performance car. I would prefer a more confidence inspiring brake feel. Sometimes when coming to a stop quickly, it feels like the car won't stop in time.

I have very little issue with stopping smoothly unless auto start stop interferes but even then it's not too bad

I can come to a smooth stop if I focus on it, but it's harder than most cars to stop without getting at least a small lurch forward/backward.

The brake feel is weird due to not being linear at all. Initial bite is good, but then there's really no feel and seemingly a lack of stopping power until you press down very hard. Both pedals are rather soft, tbh. And the steering. The performance is obviously there, but the feedback is lacking or even unsettling at times. At the end of the day, it's at least part luxury car so the softness is understandable. Not going to complain too much about not being perfect. Easily the best car in the segment, at every trim level.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
Slides2021
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
I can come to a smooth stop if I focus on it, but it's harder than most cars to stop without getting at least a small lurch forward/backward.

The brake feel is weird due to not being linear at all. Initial bite is good, but then there's really no feel and seemingly a lack of stopping power until you press down very hard. Both pedals are rather soft, tbh. And the steering. The performance is obviously there, but the feedback is lacking or even unsettling at times. At the end of the day, it's at least part luxury car so the softness is understandable. Not going to complain too much about not being perfect. Easily the best car in the segment, at every trim level.
Test drive an Audi S5 or S4 and you will appreciate the smoothness of BMW's brakes then!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slides2021 View Post
Test drive an Audi S5 or S4 and you will appreciate the smoothness of BMW's brakes then!
I don't disagree. The brakes work well. I just wish there was a bit more feedback. Takes time to get used to since my previous car's brakes were much less assisted (and I don't drive much).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #14
Savoir
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

I have the m sport brakes on my 330i, and have the same experience-- difficult to modulate the peddle for a smooth stop. I recall that the base brakes were not quite as grabby at the end when compared to the m sport setup. I've learned to live with it..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #15
GRB60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i X-Drive Convertible

I think the feeling being described is from the hybrid motor being engaged for regenerative braking in order to charge the 48V battery.
I have a very similar system on my Ram 1500 and it does the same thing. I was able to adjust to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #16
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I just took deliver if m340i and not sure if we are experiencing same thing here. I notice that whenever I apply breaks to slow down (not like a sudden stop) I feel/ hear a bit of what looks like tire vibration from the rear. Is it to be expected from the M performance brake pads? It has the bridgestone turanza all season RFT and is it the tire characteristics? .

It’s brand new vehicle and so wondering if it will all settle down during break in period or does it warrant a visit to dealership (I hope not)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 335i xDrive 2013

I have the same issue with my M340 2021!
Does anybody find the solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #18
denle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

mine is 2021 M340i performance edition, having the same issue. i believe the mild hybrid system regenerative braking might be the cause of this.

another post talks about this too https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823556
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #19
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M340i

My wife was saying the same about my braking if it was in comfort and especially eco. When she's in the car I have my individual sport set to comfort for engine, transmission and steering.

She said it's a noticeable difference as a passenger but it's still not smooth like how I want it to be all the time. So on wifey dyno the auto start stop does play a factor.

I made my individual sport setting a shortcut because when she's not in the car I have it set to steering comfort, engine sports+, trans sport
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #20
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If you put your instrument panel in the “power rating” mode that shows a percentage scale instead of a tachometer it’s relatively easy to see what happens during braking.

As you gently brake you will see the percentage scale go down to at least 10% below the line, which I believe represents the power being recovered by regenerative braking. But then all of a sudden the needle pops up to zero and the feel of the brakes changes. I think we are feeling this sudden change, when it apparently stops or starts using regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 xdrive28i X1

I've found that it's a combination of the regenerative braking combined with overly aggressive downshifts that create the lumpy braking. I have 4K mile on my 330i and it's done this since day one. Look at your tach while you are braking next and every odd braking sensation will coincide with a transmission downshift. The only time it doesn't do it is when you are coming to a quick stop from a higher rate of speed. If you are coasting to a stop it's much more pronounced.
Appreciate 0