Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Tiny Robots Able to Reproduce

12-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #23
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Truly the scariest thing I've read in some time. And I'm struck by this attempt at comforting us:

"While this may sound like the beginning of the plot to a "Terminator" movie, Joshua Bongard, a computer scientist and robotics expert at the University of Vermont and study co-author, says there is no worry that this may lead to the end of human civilization. The xenobots are small, only live in a laboratory and can be easily killed."

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with some lab-created micro-beings that can multiply.......
Same. We actually watched Replicas just the night before I saw this article. I'm all for advancements in technology, especially in the medical field; however.....this is terrifying. The last thing we need as a species is programmable, tiny, regenerating, multiplying, genetically engineered fuckery such as this. Don't get me wrong; it's amazing that we have gotten here from (not to get into a debate) early man (and trans people too Dave - I'm sure there were cave dwellers in wigs and heels) but this just seems like playing god to me. Which reminds me, where is it that we stand on cloning humans and what happened with "Eve" from 2002?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnny View Post
I second that this is also terrifying as fuck!

I remember reading this article years ago where three AI programs created their own language to talk to each other in secret, during the experiment.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...nguage/530436/

This is just an educated guess, but I don't think this is a wise idea just yet. Or that it should even be a thing.
Not trying to be a fear monger, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw this and thought, "Oh shit, this is bad!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
All we need is some nerd @ MIT or Stanford to push the boundaries on Quantum computing then suddenly we have a self aware system

I hope we get a friendly T-800 sent back
I imagine that this will get pushed to the side; as I'm sure Meta will release a Facebook update that will occupy the masses attention, then everyone will lose their mind over a new way to start drama, or feed their insecurity with social media validation. All the while, scientists will quietly chip away at perfecting the process of whatever these tiny future death machines will be utilized in, most likely something to do with the military or government based weapon program. Something to the effect of "Oh, you have bio-weapons? Isn't that cute."

Surely we'll at least get a scary/thriller movie or two based on the premise here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
The robots will be cool until they realize we're standing in their way and hurting the planet. Then they'll "help us" by killing us all
Movie plot already underway. Not that this hasn't been done already, but then again, I can't think of an original movie plot in the past 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
ROFL.
My people. It makes me smile when people know what I'm talking about. I mostly just get confused looks from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
*Bill Gates xenobottingly rubbing his hands together*
He's not even writhing his hands.....the xeno's are doing it for him now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Thats probably exactly what they said about COVID........

What I was most curious about is how they are considered a robot? A robot can be defined as a mechanical device that is capable of performing a variety of tasks on command or according to instructions programmed in advance. So then I found this;

Whether xenobots are robots, organisms, or something else entirely remains a subject of debate among scientists, with one of the researchers saying: "They're neither a traditional robot nor a known species of animal. It's a new class of artifact: a living, programmable organism." Xenobots built to date have been less than a 1 millimeter (0.039 inches) wide and composed of just two things: skin cells and heart muscle cells. The skin cells provide rigid support and the heart cells act as small motors, contracting and expanding in volume to propel the xenobot forward.

This to me sounds more like genetic or physical mutation or something like that. I'm more worried about the human centipede than I am the terminator
Even more alarming is the fact that, if by definition, a robot is a machine, these are most certainly not "machines." If we go down the rabbit hole of calling bio-engineered organisms robots, due to being programmable; this will seriously blur the lines further down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
After all of 2019/2020/2021 how could anyone think this was a good idea?
It's not a good idea at all, but considering the timeline you touched on, it's just natural progression. I mean, where were we supposed to go after murder hornets?
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3946.50
///d1817.00
      12-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
It's not a good idea at all, but considering the timeline you touched on, it's just natural progression. I mean, where were we supposed to go after murder hornets?
It's just the progression of the life force. Nothing is static...
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      12-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #25
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Someone wanna call a God damn paramedic!

I embrace robots. They are made to help/protect us and I trust them as much as I trust our govt!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      12-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So, they're breaking the story of why we all got better 5G after recent injections?

I would have thought we'd see the aliens from A-51 before this was broke.
Appreciate 0