Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Digital key doesn’t work

11-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Digital key doesn’t work

I set up my digital key (my phone). Verified that it’s active on the app

But it doesn’t really work. I hold the front of my IPhone up to the door handle many times, doesn’t do anything.

Anyone else finding that the digital key doesn’t really work the way it’s supposed to?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I set up my digital key (my phone). Verified that it’s active on the app

But it doesn’t really work. I hold the front of my IPhone up to the door handle many times, doesn’t do anything.

Anyone else finding that the digital key doesn’t really work the way it’s supposed to?
Mine's pretty finicky as to where exactly you have to position it. Try holding it right above the 3 little groves on the handle where you tap to lock the door and see of that works.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
MetalM00xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series

Quote:
I set up my digital key (my phone). Verified that it's active on the app

But it doesn't really work. I hold the front of my IPhone up to the door handle many times, doesn't do anything.

Anyone else finding that the digital key doesn't really work the way it's supposed to?
After multiple unsuccessful attempts with my iPhone (especially when I'm trying to show it off) I've now had consistent success with this approach:
- enable Express Mode in your iPhone > Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > BMW <model>
- without waking or turning your phone on or unlocking it or pressing any buttons, slowly bring it towards your drivers door handle 'touch to unlock' area with the front of the iPhone facing you as usual and gently touch/tap/rest the central backside area to the handle and let it be there for a few seconds.

This seems to work almost always.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

^ Thanks, I already have it on "express" mode but I will give your system a try
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalM00xi View Post
After multiple unsuccessful attempts with my iPhone (especially when I'm trying to show it off) I've now had consistent success with this approach:
- enable Express Mode in your iPhone > Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > BMW <model>
- without waking or turning your phone on or unlocking it or pressing any buttons, slowly bring it towards your drivers door handle 'touch to unlock' area with the front of the iPhone facing you as usual and gently touch/tap/rest the central backside area to the handle and let it be there for a few seconds.

So I finally did this and it worked, although it still took a while to get it to work.

Verdict: digital key is just not very practical or reliable, and FOR SURE based on my experiences I would never think about leaving my real keys at home, lest I be stranded somewhere
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
taojinmontreal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:

thanks for this info
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
MetalM00xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by taojinmontreal View Post
Quote:

thanks for this info
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
sniz821
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i RWD

Quote:
Quote:

So I finally did this and it worked, although it still took a while to get it to work.

Verdict: digital key is just not very practical or reliable, and FOR SURE based on my experiences I would never think about leaving my real keys at home, lest I be stranded somewhere
I leave my keys at home all the time. If it starts acting up like it sometimes has I just open up the app and unlock it that way
Appreciate 0