Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Hardwire dashcam

09-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #111
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
Is there any reason I'd ever use a slot (is that what they're called?) that's occupied by an existing fuse already when there appear to be so many empty unused slots in the car? It seems to me like using an empty one should always be better, since you won't modify the existing circuit (no chance that the add-a-fuse isn't working properly and somehow blows the existing fuse, or that you accidentally connect the two fuses in series rather than in parallel).

Trying to figure out how I should wire a battery pack for a dashcam into the fusebox. Seems like I'd probably want an empty ACC slot (not looking to drain the car's battery while the car is off). I simply plug in the add-a-fuse leaving the bottom fuse empty (since the port was unused before) and then plug like a 15A fuse into the top so I can get 9A from it, and then plug that into the the external battery pack (i.e. B-124X).

Just checking with the more experienced folks around here. Am I missing anything here?
You can use empty slots as long as there's current supplied all the time or when the car is in acc mode. No issues there.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #112
george41
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

I use fuse #38(NFC Charging) and #46(cigarette lighter), no issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #113
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by george41 View Post
I use fuse #38(NFC Charging) and #46(cigarette lighter), no issue at all.
Those are both in the passenger fuse box though right? Seems to me like the trunk fuse box is a lot more accessible. Or was it easy?
      09-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #114
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Those are both in the passenger fuse box though right? Seems to me like the trunk fuse box is a lot more accessible. Or was it easy?
Accessing the passenger side fuse box needs you to be kinda flexible. Accessing the one in the trunk is easier but routing the wire from there to the front window needs some plastic trims to be popped off which might be a pain.

I used the passenger side fuse box.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #115
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Accessing the passenger side fuse box needs you to be kinda flexible. Accessing the one in the trunk is easier but routing the wire from there to the front window needs some plastic trims to be popped off which might be a pain.

I used the passenger side fuse box.
Any video on YouTube or something showing how to access and wire from the fusebox such that no wires are exposed? I guess the battery would go into the glove compartment?
      09-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #116
george41
Rep

Quote:
Yes, those are both in the passenger fuse box, for me it’s easy to access but you will need a flashlight to confirm the right position of both fuses.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #117
george41
Rep

Quote:
Any video on YouTube or something showing how to access and wire from the fusebox such that no wires are exposed? I guess the battery would go into the glove compartment?
Basically you can refer to this video, same way to remove A pillar trim then connect your wires to the fuse box.

Last edited by george41; 10-01-2021 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #118
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quick question to the peeps that installed the blackvue magic pro, when you switch the unit off, does it lose power immediately (green LED turns off)?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #119
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Does anyone know if any of the F46 to F57 fuses are ignition only?

Or is it just the F59 to F76 ones?
I need to find a 20a ignition only fuse and the green ones above are 5a or 10a
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #120
SaltyPickle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Xdrive

For those who installed Viofo A129 Pro Duo, where did you hide all that excess cable for rear camera? I ran the cable from front camera to rear camera and there is like 4-5 ft long extra cable. I don't know how or where to hide them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:08 AM   #121
loxy
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 MSport X, M340d ordered

Took delivery of a new '22 Pre-LCI G21 on Friday. Dash cam is on its way so found this thread over the weekend.

I've just had a look this morning and it has been revised on my model. There is an airbag in the footwell (UK model and on driver's side/right hand of vehicle) and I think because of this, BMW have replaced the twist screws/clips with an 8mm long bolt on either side. The bolt screws all the way out, rather than being captive and then the panel drops with the airbag module staying in place.

It gives slightly less room to work in, but if you're coming down the rubber seal on the right hand side of the car into the dash behind the panel that pops off on the end of the dash, you are straight to the fuse box and nowhere near the airbag module, so still safe to run the positive wire that way.

I'll get some pics when the dashcam arrives and I get to fitting it.
Type R #1 - 04 EP3 CTR (R029751) - SOLD, Type R #2 - 57 FN2 CTR GT (R008686) 256bhp - SOLD, 60 WRX STi Type UK - SOLD, Type R #3 - 58 FD2 CTR - SOLD, 13 Foad Focus ST-2 - SOLD, Type R #4 - 09 CW FN2 CTR (R#0223) - SOLD, Type R #5 - 15 FK2 CTR GT - SOLD, F30 330d xDrive LCI - Sold , MK3 Croacus Titanium X - Sold, Type R #6 - 09 CW FN2 CTR (R#0232) - SOLD, BMW #2 - 19 F39 X2 M Sport X sDrive20i - Gone, BMW #3 - 22 G21 M340d xDrive -
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:53 AM   #122
loxy
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 MSport X, M340d ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxy View Post
Took delivery of a new '22 Pre-LCI G21 on Friday. Dash cam is on its way so found this thread over the weekend.

I've just had a look this morning and it has been revised on my model. There is an airbag in the footwell (UK model and on driver's side/right hand of vehicle) and I think because of this, BMW have replaced the twist screws/clips with an 8mm long bolt on either side. The bolt screws all the way out, rather than being captive and then the panel drops with the airbag module staying in place.

It gives slightly less room to work in, but if you're coming down the rubber seal on the right hand side of the car into the dash behind the panel that pops off on the end of the dash, you are straight to the fuse box and nowhere near the airbag module, so still safe to run the positive wire that way.

I'll get some pics when the dashcam arrives and I get to fitting it.
It wasn't massively different to what has already been posted on here to be honest, just with the 8mm bolts and an airbag in the middle of the underside of the dash, so I didn't really get that many pictures.

Went down to the fuse box the usual way through the end of the dash by popping the end cap off, and zip tied the spare wire in here to the beams behind the switch panel to stop it rattling around. Used fuse #59 which is for the Emergency Call Assist if anyone is interested.

Front:

Rear fitted later:

Type R #1 - 04 EP3 CTR (R029751) - SOLD, Type R #2 - 57 FN2 CTR GT (R008686) 256bhp - SOLD, 60 WRX STi Type UK - SOLD, Type R #3 - 58 FD2 CTR - SOLD, 13 Foad Focus ST-2 - SOLD, Type R #4 - 09 CW FN2 CTR (R#0223) - SOLD, Type R #5 - 15 FK2 CTR GT - SOLD, F30 330d xDrive LCI - Sold , MK3 Croacus Titanium X - Sold, Type R #6 - 09 CW FN2 CTR (R#0232) - SOLD, BMW #2 - 19 F39 X2 M Sport X sDrive20i - Gone, BMW #3 - 22 G21 M340d xDrive -
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 05:46 AM   #123
Bimdimsum
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330d xDrive

[QUOTE=loxy;29060322] It wasn't massively different to what has already been posted on here to be honest, just with the 8mm bolts and an airbag in the middle of the underside of the dash, so I didn't really get that many pictures.

Went down to the fuse box the usual way through the end of the dash by popping the end cap off, and zip tied the spare wire in here to the beams behind the switch panel to stop it rattling around. Used fuse #59 which is for the Emergency Call Assist if anyone is interested.

Front:

Rear fitted later:

Hi going to be trying this myself as soon as we get some dry weather (same RHD, G21).
Really like what you did with the rear cam - what did you use to clip around liner & stick the mount to?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #124
RobReed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340D X-Drive MHEV

Dashcam Fitting

Hi All Sorry if this has been asked before as I'm new to the group and have become the proud owner of a 340D.

So i have found the fusebox in the rear offside wing behind a small panel. I have a Blackvue 650S and wanted to know about piggybacking a fuse. I have always used the cigarlighter fuse as it comes on and goes off with the ignition.

BUT.....

I have noticed members say that the fuse box is in the drivers footwell. If only I had discovered this forum fisrst Ive Ive run both (front and rear) cables the entire length of the car into the boot fuse box ready to piggyback. So Do i now need to undo this and take it to the footwell fuses? Also I have been told that using a piggy fuse will void the warranty so do member disconnect there cameras prior to drop offs at dealers.

For members who may not know the 340D and possibly others are on a recall (Mines a 2022) for updates on bluetooth and wifi. I had mine done last week and it identified the rear park camera needed replacing (it's got 650 miles on the car). Just thought this may support other members to get their update.

Anyway its great to have joined and look forward to the reply about where the fusebox is or if I could pigy a fuse in the rear offside inner wing as i'm cabled up to that.

TIA for any replies
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:53 AM   #125
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobReed View Post
Hi All Sorry if this has been asked before as I'm new to the group and have become the proud owner of a 340D.

So i have found the fusebox in the rear offside wing behind a small panel. I have a Blackvue 650S and wanted to know about piggybacking a fuse. I have always used the cigarlighter fuse as it comes on and goes off with the ignition.

BUT.....

I have noticed members say that the fuse box is in the drivers footwell. If only I had discovered this forum fisrst Ive Ive run both (front and rear) cables the entire length of the car into the boot fuse box ready to piggyback. So Do i now need to undo this and take it to the footwell fuses? Also I have been told that using a piggy fuse will void the warranty so do member disconnect there cameras prior to drop offs at dealers.

For members who may not know the 340D and possibly others are on a recall (Mines a 2022) for updates on bluetooth and wifi. I had mine done last week and it identified the rear park camera needed replacing (it's got 650 miles on the car). Just thought this may support other members to get their update.

Anyway its great to have joined and look forward to the reply about where the fusebox is or if I could pigy a fuse in the rear offside inner wing as i'm cabled up to that.

TIA for any replies
My understanding is that one can use either the front or rear fusebox, tapping the correct fuse that turns off with the ignition. I use two Cellink Neo batteries in my 2022 M340xi to power a Viofo A229 Duo. The batteries are connected (piggybacked) to fuse F273 in the rear and charge only when the car is running. There is a 5-10 minute interval before that fuse shuts off after turning off the car.

Nothing is going to void your warranty unless BMW determines that it contributed to a problem, in which case they may decline to repair under warranty. My car was recently in for its first scheduled service and the cameras recorded the entire visit.

Here's the thread about my installation.
      03-23-2023, 04:09 PM   #126
aci4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I finally mustered up the courage to hardwire the dash cam today. I spent lots of time reading up on fuse taps and hardwiring and potential problems and decided to test my luck.

I followed the method my3ung posted in the previous page. The worst part is the location of the fuse box in the footwell. Today was the day I discovered how flexible I can be!

I used the screw holding the passenger airbag to ground the dash cam. A 10mm wrench socket was what got the nut loose enough for me to slide the ground ring between the washer and the metal bracket. Tightened it and everything was as good as it was before. I also disconnected the battery before messing with the screw, just to be on the safe side. I didn’t want the airbag exploding on me while my face was right next to it, in case something went wrong.

I set the voltage limiter to 12.4V. I’ve seen people set it to 12 and 12.2. My car is always garaged and never parked in a public space overnight. So I don’t need more than 5hrs of parking footage at most. I also don’t want my battery dying out on me. I’ll check tomorrow morning and see if the car throws a hissy fit. If so, I’ll probably have to resort to using the charger socket in the trunk or centre console. If it doesn’t, I might try 12.2V.

All in all, I’m happy with the outcome for now.

PS - I was surprised at how horrible the headliner in my car is! I went to route the wire inside the headliner and thought I’d have a tough time hiding the wire. But lo and behold. I put my fingers between the glass and headliner and found out that there was [...]
Hi, i just tried the install and i realized i forgot to buy the fuse taps… Did you buy the fuse taps he linked? The 11x16 mm one (small add-a-circuit fuse tap)?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #127
RobReed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340D X-Drive MHEV

HELP HELP HELP fuse for dashcam

Hi all I have a G20 M340D. I have fitted a front a rear Blackvue 650 DASHCAM
I have followed the recommendations here to use a piggyback fuse in F273 which is a fuse in the rear 1/4 panel. However this seems to be a permanent live. Can anyone recommend an alternative fuse that will be a switch-live so will power off when the ignition is of please.

All the hard works done. Just need a fuse and have a diagram for the rear fuse box but nothing that identifies which fuse does what

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #128
Lister of Smeg
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

Have just tried hardwiring a Transcend dashcam to my newly acquired 330e but it seens the ignition fed fuses are constantly live when the vehicle is plugged in and charging!

Any suggestions ????
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 04:35 PM   #129
Lister of Smeg
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

After a bit more investigating, when the vehicle is plugged in and charging the 12 v battery fitted in the right side of the boot is also being charged(14.9/15.1v)

I also fitted a voltmeter to the 12v socket in the centre console and this also confirms that the block of ign fed fuses remain live when the vehicle is plugged in and charging.

When NOT plugged in, the ign fed fuses will loose power after a few minutes when the vehicle is locked as the BCM goes to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #130
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Just got done doing my dash cam install and wanted to say thanks to everyone on here for the super useful tips and info. Rain started coming towards the end of the install so I couldn't snag any photos, but here's a synopsis:

Dash cam is a Viofo A139 Pro, single channel, paired with a Blackboxmycar Powercell 8 Battery Pack.

Blackboxmycar recommends using at least a 20A fuse to tap for the battery packs. They ship add a fuse kit of every size, with accompanying 20A fuses.

I used the passenger footwell fuse box for power connections. F54 was empty in my car and fuse diagram says it's a 20A slot. I used a circuit tester to verify it's an ACC circuit, and that the right side is the hot side.

I used the ATO sized fuse tap to match what the fuse box had. I put their provided 20A ATO fuse in the top part of the fuse tap, nothing at the bottom, and put the fuse tap in the vehicle with the leg pointing left.

Battery pack comes with Velcro stickers, so I stuck it on the carpet against the back of the passenger side footwell. The Tuxmat floor mats cover up that entire area, so the pack and wiring are out of sight.

Rest of the install is straight forward as everyone else has done. Dash cam power up the A pillar and over to the camera. Verified the battery pack switches to discharge mode once vehicle is asleep, and camera parking mode recording turns on.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man

Last edited by k4sh_90; 05-03-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:43 PM   #131
Das_Stiggy
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPickle View Post
For those who installed Viofo A129 Pro Duo, where did you hide all that excess cable for rear camera? I ran the cable from front camera to rear camera and there is like 4-5 ft long extra cable. I don't know how or where to hide them.
I looped it a few times tucking under the door sill.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:33 PM   #132
randomserious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3ung View Post
*For GROUND - Drilled a small hole the size of a #12 bolt into the metal bracket which holds the Airbag (See image). There is a screw and nut which holds one side of the airbag to the bracket, but I discovered you can't take the screw off or get enough space in between to slip the ground wire in. No other metal screws in the vicinity so drilling was my only option.
ftr i managed to use that screw just fine and it seemed to work
Attached Images

Appreciate 0