Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics US-Spec G20s in Europe... OTA update?

12-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #23
callen85
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Oh wow...

What does your Connected Drive account say on the actual website? For me it says OTA is unavailable. Every other connected drive thing appears to work.
I believe it says active. Once I can get the site to load again I can let you know for sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #24
mcd004
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen85 View Post
My connected drive finally works today and I received an over the air update to 07.60. Once I finally got my warranty validation completed and I could add my car into bmwusa garage I started the process to activate my connected drive. I had to provide an insurance document with a US address so all I did was call the insurance company and changed my mailing address and sent in that and my certificate of origin. A few days later I got an email to call to finish setting it up. Another 4 days went by while I continued to try and put my VIN into the connected drive phone app. This morning it finally took and started the update on its own. To finish the process I had to restart the system so it would send my validation code to the car. Now everything works as it should. Hope that helps get someone else's stuff working.
Awesome, congrats on getting everything working! If you don't mind me asking, Do you (or anyone) know if sending the warranty validation form to BMW NA affects in any way the European Warranty that came with the car while overseas? I'm tempted on attempting this, but just curious if there are any effects on the European Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:33 AM   #25
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd004 View Post
Quote:
My connected drive finally works today and I received an over the air update to 07.60. Once I finally got my warranty validation completed and I could add my car into bmwusa garage I started the process to activate my connected drive. I had to provide an insurance document with a US address so all I did was call the insurance company and changed my mailing address and sent in that and my certificate of origin. A few days later I got an email to call to finish setting it up. Another 4 days went by while I continued to try and put my VIN into the connected drive phone app. This morning it finally took and started the update on its own. To finish the process I had to restart the system so it would send my validation code to the car. Now everything works as it should. Hope that helps get someone else's stuff working.
Awesome, congrats on getting everything working! If you don't mind me asking, Do you (or anyone) know if sending the warranty validation form to BMW NA affects in any way the European Warranty that came with the car while overseas? I'm tempted on attempting this, but just curious if there are any effects on the European Warranty.
Not sure who you bought from but Bavarian motor cars was supposed to send mine is for me. They didn't do it so I ended up sending it. All it does is validate your ownership with BMW NA so it won't have any affect on your warranty here
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #26
mcd004
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who you bought from but Bavarian motor cars was supposed to send mine is for me. They didn't do it so I ended up sending it. All it does is validate your ownership with BMW NA so it won't have any affect on your warranty here
So, I went ahead and sent the Warranty Validation form last month, and a couple days later I received confirmation that the car has been validated. Now, I can see my car in the BMWUSA Garage (I noticed it says "This is a non-U.S. specification vehicle." even though it is an US spec; Does your car says the same?) but for some reason I'm unable to activate connected drive services cause CD NA can't see my VIN in their system. Any suggestions? and/or was there anything else you did to get your connecteddrived activated?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:06 AM   #27
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
I've given up on OTA updates... I've read entirely too many different scenarios and possibilities to hold out much hope for an actual one size fits all solution.

I'll just have to wait and hope the Dutch dealer will do the update whenever it is I need to have the car in for something or other.

Good luck, guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #28
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
No joke... I walked out to the car to swing by the office and grab my mail.

What's this notification?

Oh, it's downloading 07/2020.80.

What?

So, is it worth it? I don't use Android. I really don't want to lose all my Bimmercoding work.

Here I was complaining about not getting it and now I wonder if I really need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #29
mcd004
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd004 View Post
So, I went ahead and sent the Warranty Validation form last month, and a couple days later I received confirmation that the car has been validated. Now, I can see my car in the BMWUSA Garage (I noticed it says "This is a non-U.S. specification vehicle." even though it is an US spec; Does your car says the same?) but for some reason I'm unable to activate connected drive services cause CD NA can't see my VIN in their system. Any suggestions? and/or was there anything else you did to get your connecteddrived activated?

Just a quick update in case anyone else is following this thread, I finally got connecteddrive working on my 2021 G20 (US Spec) while in Germany. Basically, CD NA created a ticket to resolve the issue with my VIN number not showing up in their system. Took a couple weeks of calling them and asking about updates on the ticket and finally today I was able to register my car via the app and everything works!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #30
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Getting connected drive to work while here was def a nightmare. Sorry I had been absent on this thread and just popped in and saw the notification. Glad we're making progress getting our cars to work properly
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:57 AM   #31
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

I am still trying to get this to work. I purchased my 2020 M340i from Euler and I had European maps installed. Every time I try to add my VIN to the BMW Connected App it says that vehicle doesn't exist.
I also called BMW NA about this issue and they told me I could not register the vehicle because it is not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #32
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
I am still trying to get this to work. I purchased my 2020 M340i from Euler and I had European maps installed. Every time I try to add my VIN to the BMW Connected App it says that vehicle doesn't exist.
I also called BMW NA about this issue and they told me I could not register the vehicle because it is not in the US.
Key is not to tell them your in Europe. I sent in my title looking document and my USAA insurance card with my mailing address changed to a US one and told them it was back. After that it activated no problem
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #33
mcd004
Rep

Quote:
Key is not to tell them your in Europe. I sent in my title looking document and my USAA insurance card with my mailing address changed to a US one and told them it was back. After that it activated no problem
100% this. Never tell them your car is overseas. Submit your warranty validation form using an US address (not APO/DPO), then wait for confirmation of validation. Once confirmed, you can check if the car is in fact in the US system by creating an online account at the US BMW site and looking under My BMW. It the site lets you add your VIN and you see your car VIN and warranty information, only then you can contact US BMW ConnectedDrive to activate your services. They will ask you for proof of ownership, you can use: Certificate of Origin and Insurance Card/Letter with an US address on it. Do this and you should have no problems activating. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #34
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone received any Euro map OTA updates?

How about the new 11/2020.## update?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:38 AM   #35
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Just picked my car up from its service (oil change)… Local dealer was able to pull up my car no problem by scanning they key. I asked about the European map updates and the advisor said it wasn't sure it could be done. Turns out they were able to get them updated no problem. Everything in My BMW app updated itself reflecting the oil change.

I didn't bother asking about the iStep update...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #36
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Still no OTA updates for me... how about you guys?

Also, has anyone been down to the 'Ring yet this summer? I'm thinking about doing a quick trip down there are some point - maybe in September?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #37
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Do OTA's pause if the vehicle is due for recall?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #38
rd84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

hey guys, couple questions here....so I turned in the warranty validation form and registered with connected drive. But after about two weeks, I still haven't received any updates. Additionally, the connected drive folks told me to go to the apps section/option to update however mine is grayed out?? I don't even see an option to see what software version I'm on. It almost feels like I have a beta version of connected drive.

Should I continue to wait it out? Or take it to the dealer (bitburg) to try to update ??
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:33 AM   #39
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd84 View Post
hey guys, couple questions here....so I turned in the warranty validation form and registered with connected drive. But after about two weeks, I still haven't received any updates. Additionally, the connected drive folks told me to go to the apps section/option to update however mine is grayed out?? I don't even see an option to see what software version I'm on. It almost feels like I have a beta version of connected drive.

Should I continue to wait it out? Or take it to the dealer (bitburg) to try to update ??
Wish I could help... The problem is that it seems like everyone had a different experience getting their account setup. No two people have fixed the issue the same way.

It's pretty damn frustrating - especially with the BMW mil/dip sales folks basically telling you nothing will work and BMW Germany echoing that line. Meanwhile... it works - eventually... maybe.

Also, given today's technology it's absolutely preposterous that cars at this price aren't simply "plug-and-play" regardless of geographic location.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #40
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Still waiting…

Side note: I'm heading to the Ring in two weekends. Gotta earn that sticker!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #41
Ahmaddoski
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw 330i Us spec

Hello guys, so i bought a US spec used 330i 2020 and shipped it to iraq, created a connecteddrive account and added the vin to my account it said it's not supported, contacted bmw by email and told them i bought the car recently and have this problem their agent kindly replied and told me we registered your account as the new owner of the car in the database without giving them any registration info other than purchase date , I can add the car vin to mybmw account now but what i want to know is will they accept to activate services for me or they will ask for a registration documents with US address now even after getting the activation code ?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #42
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I've gotten no updates since 2020.60 I believe. Car went in for service but they did nothing more then the oil change here. Agreed it's pretty ignorant we can't get these cars to perform as designed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #43
callen85
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmaddoski View Post
Hello guys, so i bought a US spec used 330i 2020 and shipped it to iraq, created a connecteddrive account and added the vin to my account it said it's not supported, contacted bmw by email and told them i bought the car recently and have this problem their agent kindly replied and told me we registered your account as the new owner of the car in the database without giving them any registration info other than purchase date , I can add the car vin to mybmw account now but what i want to know is will they accept to activate services for me or they will ask for a registration documents with US address now even after getting the activation code ?

Thank you in advance.
I had to give them an insurance card with a US address on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #44
Ahmaddoski
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw 330i Us spec

My car is Us imported now in iraq, but seems like the car doesn't have any connection to internet i tried enabling hotspot in my phone in hope it uses it as connection but seems it only depends on inboard sim connection is that right ? I want to setup my bmw app and it never gets the massage in the car for activation
Appreciate 0