Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Home maintenance tips or home trickery

11-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #45
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

We have door hinges that have gotten loose because the screws are pulling out of the door jamb. To fix, I break a toothpick in half, dip the pointy ends in some wood glue, then tap them into the hole with a hammer. After that's dried for a couple of hours, I use a pair of dykes to cut off any bits that protrude from the hole, then reinstall the hinge screw.

Also, if you need longer hinge screws to get more bite, ACE hardware stores carry them in the "loose screws" aisle.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615139.00
      11-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #46
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Spring-loaded punch. It will punch a pit in hard metal, wood, sheet rock, whatever. I use it all the time to set a point for my drill.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...a-428924058137

Dry wall anchor screws. No more fear hanging heavy items on walls. Yeah, it creates a big hole when you remove them, but it's easy to fill.

https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Dryw...93753802&psc=1

Tools, tools, tools. Use the right tool for the job. It makes life much easier and will give you confidence.
They make aluminium versions of those drywall anchors for even more holding power!

Last edited by lakefront; 11-16-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #47
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Anyone done the 'stuffing ice cubes down the garbage disposal and turning it on with a trickle of hot watter' thing? It's awesome! Cleans all that gunk out. Recommended.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #48
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Anyone done the 'stuffing ice cubes down the garbage disposal and turning it on with a trickle of hot watter' thing? It's awesome! Cleans all that gunk out. Recommended.
Whatttttt? We just bought 2 lemons for this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #49
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I used WD-40. :
If your WD-40 top is difficult to remove...

Appreciate 1
Esteban43330.00
      11-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #50
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Whatttttt? We just bought 2 lemons for this purpose.
We either use lemons or my lady bought these tablets to use as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Webb View Post
We have door hinges that have gotten loose because the screws are pulling out of the door jamb. To fix, I break a toothpick in half, dip the pointy ends in some wood glue, then tap them into the hole with a hammer. After that's dried for a couple of hours, I use a pair of dykes to cut off any bits that protrude from the hole, then reinstall the hinge screw.

Also, if you need longer hinge screws to get more bite, ACE hardware stores carry them in the "loose screws" aisle.
I simply fill the screw threads with wood glue. Sometimes get a size up if I can find

Just this past weekend on the new "antique" I removed all the slot-headed tiny screws in the drop front drawer, and used brass Phillips as replacements

Dad taught me that glue/threads
      11-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Now you tell me I've been doing it wrong all these years…

Does anyone have a solution for losing those little red straws that come with the can?
Uh... the little slots molded into the top.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #53
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Uh... the little slots molded into the top.
Haha, common sense not too common. Even if the cap doesn't have a slot, just use painter tape or whatever. Simple solution.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      11-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Use graphite dry lube for key lock cylinders
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615139.00
lakefront560.50
      11-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #55
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Whoever hung the door did not hang it plumb...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #56
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Whoever hung the door did not hang it plumb...
Or my wife put a huge rack on the back of her closet door and filled it with about 50 pairs of shoes. Weight eventually started pulling the door out of the wall. Those pointy-toed high heels don't look too heavy, but they add up, apparently.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      11-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #57
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Or my wife put a huge rack on the back of her closet door and filled it with about 50 pairs of shoes. Weight eventually started pulling the door out of the wall. Those pointy-toed high heels don't look too heavy, but they add up, apparently.
Is her first name Imelda by any chance?

Buy her a proper shoe rack dude! I can't even picture FIFTY shoes hanging on the side of the door....unless you guys are giants or something...how the heck do they even fit, never mind the poor door support their weight? No wonder lmao.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #58
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Is her first name Imelda by any chance?
Right?! Don't get me started... It is a proper shoe rack, though -

4 / 8 Tier Hanging Over Door Shoe Rack Organizer Organizer Wall Mounted Shoe Hanging Shelf

And I owe her an apology. Apparently you can only hold 36 pairs on that thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Right?! Don't get me started... It is a proper shoe rack, though -

4 / 8 Tier Hanging Over Door Shoe Rack Organizer Organizer Wall Mounted Shoe Hanging Shelf

And I owe her an apology. Apparently you can only hold 36 pairs on that thing.
Wow, that thing actually looks pretty useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #60
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
For those w OCD about not making holes in walls, 3M Command Hooks/etc are a godsend (some can even hold 25lbs+!). The only holes I have are for the TV and window coverings.
Careful with those things. They are drywall destroyers. I used to use them often. I've currently got two holes at home and had to tell people at work to stop using them. I remodeled our front office a year ago. The command strips got used for damn near everything after we repaired all the drywall. A year later, I'm seriously regretting using them. Not saying yours will fail, just be mindful, especially when removing them. They can also stain walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Spring-loaded punch. It will punch a pit in hard metal, wood, sheet rock, whatever. I use it all the time to set a point for my drill.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...a-428924058137

Dry wall anchor screws. No more fear hanging heavy items on walls. Yeah, it creates a big hole when you remove them, but it's easy to fill.

https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Dryw...93753802&psc=1

Tools, tools, tools. Use the right tool for the job. It makes life much easier and will give you confidence.
This is the set that keep in my bag. I use these way more than I expected to. Also works great as a glass break if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-10013-Fe...265354&sr=8-40

I used to use those dry wall anchors too until I had one fully expanded pull the drywall out leave a huge hole. These are my go to's for heavy stuff now.

https://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SNAPT...tag=popmech-20
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      11-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Careful with those things. They are drywall destroyers. I used to use them often. I've currently got two holes at home and had to tell people at work to stop using them. I remodeled our front office a year ago. The command strips got used for damn near everything after we repaired all the drywall. A year later, I'm seriously regretting using them. Not saying yours will fail, just be mindful, especially when removing them. They can also stain walls.
Tx. Ya, definitely have to know what is being hung. Many things for me are just very light stuff like lcd clock, calendars, hairdryer. The 'heaviest' is my wedding portrait but not really heavy in the grand scheme of things and I use the hardier adhesives w the appropriate weight rating. I've personally only have good things to say about them in terms of dependable usage and no-fuss removal.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #62
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I always use pans, trays, etc when baking. Didn't realize lots of ppl just put food in there and then it drips all over the rack and oven floor. That's insane to deal w the cleaning mess.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615139.00
      11-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #63
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same problem GM had with its key cylinder locks; women with too much shit on their key rings...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #64
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Here's one. It gets windy up here on the hill sometimes. Seems like it's always on garbage night.Anyone have any tricks to keep garbage cans from blowing away in the wind? It would have to be some thing that doesn't hinder the garbageman from picking up your cans and dumping them. I tried cinderblocks. They didn't like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Here's one. It gets windy up here on the hill sometimes. Seems like it's always on garbage night.Anyone have any tricks to keep garbage cans from blowing away in the wind? It would have to be some thing that doesn't hinder the garbageman from picking up your cans and dumping them. I tried cinderblocks. They didn't like that.
More garbage?
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #66
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If your garbage company is using automated trucks to lift the cans, fill the bottoms with water for ballast and they'll never know.....