Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Mirror cap removal?

02-06-2023, 03:01 PM   #23
aci4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoMystique View Post
I got it off without taking the mirror by tilting mirror down and the. Popping top two clips and prying it off. Worked well without breaking any clips and saved risking cracking the mirror. Unfortunately, one of the mirrors wasn't a fantastic fit so going to try and get it replaced. Otherwise they are fantastic.
How… I’m over here feeling like i’m about to break off the entire side mirror. What part of the mirror did you pull from?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #24
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aci4 View Post
How… I’m over here feeling like i’m about to break off the entire side mirror. What part of the mirror did you pull from?
Follow the instruction video from Kies. It’s easy. But you do have to pull harder than you think. It definitely felt like I was going to break something, but I trusted the video. No broken tabs for me, and it wasn’t very warm when I did it.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #25
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Has anyone managed to remove the mirror caps on their M340? I got some gloss black vinyl to cover the hideous gray but they seem to be a bit more difficult to remove than the F22/30 caps I removed in the past. Not sure I want to go hulk mode unless I know they actually pop off as expected.

Hey! Did this not too long ago, replaced the bronze mirror caps with the pointed ones! We found that you DO NOT actually need to remove the mirror. I would actually highly encourage you to not do so..it'll greatly minimize the risk of you breaking the mirror.

What you need to do is just manually/electronically adjust the mirrors so that you can get to the two upper corners. You'll need to take a small tool to release those clips. The hardest part is getting the cap off...you'll have to be careful and patient haha. Get plastic trim tools as it'll help!

Lemme know if you have questions!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:04 PM   #26
Simar209
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish_22 View Post
Hey! Did this not too long ago, replaced the bronze mirror caps with the pointed ones! We found that you DO NOT actually need to remove the mirror. I would actually highly encourage you to not do so..it'll greatly minimize the risk of you breaking the mirror.

What you need to do is just manually/electronically adjust the mirrors so that you can get to the two upper corners. You'll need to take a small tool to release those clips. The hardest part is getting the cap off...you'll have to be careful and patient haha. Get plastic trim tools as it'll help!

Lemme know if you have questions!
Hey I just installed the dry carbon mirror caps from kies and watched their video how to do it. Didn’t remove mirror. The passenger side fits nice and snug. The driver side does as well but if you put enough pressure on the mirror cap on the side closest to the car and move it back and forth you can feel it moving so it’s not a completely snug fit. It slightly rocks back and forth. Is this normal? Maybe I broke a clip? Not completely sure. It’s not about to come off or any thing but I bet with enough pressure you can take it off from that side. I tried pushing it in and made sure all the clips are in too. I’m ocd about stuff like they do wanted your input. I can attach a video as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:38 PM   #27
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simar209 View Post
Hey I just installed the dry carbon mirror caps from kies and watched their video how to do it. Didn’t remove mirror. The passenger side fits nice and snug. The driver side does as well but if you put enough pressure on the mirror cap on the side closest to the car and move it back and forth you can feel it moving so it’s not a completely snug fit. It slightly rocks back and forth. Is this normal? Maybe I broke a clip? Not completely sure. It’s not about to come off or any thing but I bet with enough pressure you can take it off from that side. I tried pushing it in and made sure all the clips are in too. I’m ocd about stuff like they do wanted your input. I can attach a video as well.
Hm...that's odd...I would probably say either a fitment issue or possibly a bent/broke clip. Our mirrors were on there pretty tight. We checked for fitment and "loose" issues and found nothing. We wanted to make sure these were absolutely snug and had as close to oem fitment as possible. I think we got pretty lucky. If you have the chance to open it back up carefully without causing more damage, try to check and see. Hopefully it's just a clip that wasn't clipped in properly and nothing more...but only if it bothers you that much.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:40 PM   #28
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
Follow the instruction video from Kies. It’s easy. But you do have to pull harder than you think. It definitely felt like I was going to break something, but I trusted the video. No broken tabs for me, and it wasn’t very warm when I did it.
What brand did u use ?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #29
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
What brand did u use ?
OEM parts painted by IND.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0