Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Presenting the BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept (G22)!

09-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #1013
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Who the hell is okaying this poor design language??? They need to be FIRED ASAP!
That camera angle isn't really representative of the actual proportions.
Yes it is!

It's Fuck!ng ugly!!! Period!

Looks like some crappy American pick-up truck grill. We need to get a Fossil Fuel so they don't have to increase the grill size to cool down these bigger guzzling engines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #1014
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who the hell is okaying this poor design language??? They need to be FIRED ASAP!
Yes it is!

Looks like some crappy American pick-up truck grill. We need to get a fossil fuel's!
Having watched the live video feed, it's obvious the angle of the pics you've chosen distorts the proportions. The pics I've attached are more accurate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #1015
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is!

Looks like some crappy American pick-up truck grill. We need to get a fossil fuel's!
Having watched the live video feed, it's obvious the angle of the pics you've chosen distorts the proportions. The pics I've attached are more accurate.
Sounds like you need glasses 🤓 bro, or you just have BAD freaking taste! But I think it's both.
Appreciate 2
GuyOh1067.00
      09-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #1016
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is!

Sounds like you need glasses 🤓 bro, or just you just have BAD freaking taste! But I think it's both.
It has nothing to do with taste. Comprehend the subject being discussed. We're specifically discussing SIZE, PROPORTION, and ANGLE DISTORTION based on where the photographer was located and the lens used. Design isn't germane at all, as it is immaterial to the topic of photographic techniques.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #1017
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is!

Looks like some crappy American pick-up truck grill. We need to get a Fossil Fuel so they don't have to increase the grill size to cool down these bigger guzzling engines.
Bigger guzzling engines? You're clueless... displacement continues to decrease with increasing grill and size and fuel efficiency.

And the direction is leaning away from fossil fuels sadly... maybe you should shop an electric with no grill
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #1018
Mike5215
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Coupe

The thing that makes this design so polarizing will also ensure it never sees production: There’s no front bumper. A front bumper, required in a production car and optional on a show car, will bisect those massive grilles, resulting in a 4 that looks like a shrunken 8. There are specific height requirements for pedestrian protection, and in order to meet crash standards it has to run across the entire front width.

The Concept 4 might be an effort to anesthetize the public to what will ultimately be a much more conventional “big grille” treatment.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #1019
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
It still looks bad.
Appreciate 2
GuyOh1067.00
      09-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #1020
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5215 View Post
The thing that makes this design so polarizing will also ensure it never sees production: There’s no front bumper. A front bumper, required in a production car and optional on a show car, will bisect those massive grilles, resulting in a 4 that looks like a shrunken 8. There are specific height requirements for pedestrian protection, and in order to meet crash standards it has to run across the entire front width.

The Concept 4 might be an effort to anesthetize the public to what will ultimately be a much more conventional “big grille” treatment.
Lexus has been building production cars for years with grills that occupy the entire height of the front of the car. So, no, the grill on the 4 Series Coupe Concept does not need to change for production. And it is all but guaranteed at this point that, other than the finish on the surround and the mesh pattern within, it won’t.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      09-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #1021
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5215 View Post

Like mkoesel said, you're fundamentally wrong. There will be nothing bisecting this grille, just like the current Audi's, etc. have nothing bisecting the grilles. There will crash bracing, etc. underneath the grille, but if all of the pictures and insider statements haven't convinced you yet, you're being stubborn.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #1022
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Quote:
It still looks bad.
...and that may be the case, but he kept tossing in statements about design when I was specifically talking about the camera angle throwing off the true grille/bumper proportions.

This poster gets it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I would also say to remember the concept photos that were shot by hand have an awful perspective lens.... if you look at the official bmw photos (some of the ones on insta or web) the perspective looks much more like the renderings... the "in person" photo gallery images in post 1 are all over zoomed and widen the grills more than they are.

That said the concept probably over emphasized as well to drive the message home
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #1023
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just a shame to see BMW forcing itself to join the gigantic grille movement. Why not differentiate? Audi has done the large grille perfectly IMO and everyone else has just tripped over themselves to try and replicate it. Some with limited success, like Hyundai. But this is just a total mess of design languages. Keep it simple instead, and the car will look timeless.
      09-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #1024
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Will the newly designed 4 series, if it has the face of the concept, outsell the current 4 series? What say you?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #1025
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Will the newly designed 4 series, if it has the face of the concept, outsell the current 4 series? What say you?
There's no accounting for taste, but I would be amazed

That said, some people actually buy the X6, so who knows?
      09-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #1026
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Anything is possible. People's tastes change. The bold design of this car could end up resonating very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #1027
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
For all the drama the grill has elicited among enthusiasts, the general public will simply see it as the new face of BMW and accept it. In fact, the average new vehicle shopper will subconsciously be drawn to it since it leverages the auto industry trend of exaggerated headlights, air ducts, and grill work.

That said, the 4 Series is a passenger car so its sales numbers are at the mercy of the continuing trend toward SUVs and light trucks. However, the i4 electric model could provide a huge new market for the vehicle. It remains to be seen how it will be priced and how it will compare against the EV competition.

We are led by emotions, and aesthetics tend to result in very powerful ones. However, trying to predict behaviors of the entire race (or large subsets thereof, at any rate) based on one's own personal strong feelings is almost always folly. Rather, keen observation of what drives people, honest analysis of those findings (despite ones own passionate thoughts), and careful consideration of the patterns that arise usually leads to more sound conclusions.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25022.00
Fuller1216.50
      09-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #1028
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Just a shame to see BMW forcing itself to join the gigantic grille movement. Why not differentiate? Audi has done the large grille perfectly IMO and everyone else has just tripped over themselves to try and replicate it. Some with limited success, like Hyundai. But this is just a total mess of design languages. Keep it simple instead, and the car will look timeless.
I don’t think they are forcing themselves at all. Designers like to design and create and as long as they stay within regulations there is no forcing, especially not for a company that pride themselves to “lead never follow”. Read the original post by Jason on the 1st page and you’ll understand that BMW is all in on this design and everything about it is carefully thought out. Good designers when getting enough freedom create for the future not the past. Instead of being forced I see the concept as the opposite, a result of artistic freedom.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      09-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #1029
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I don't think they are forcing themselves at all. Designers like to design and create and as long as they stay within regulations there is no forcing, especially not for a company that pride themselves to "lead never follow". Read the original post by Jason on the 1st page and you'll understand that BMW is all in on this design and everything about it is carefully thought out. Good designers when getting enough freedom create for the future not the past. Instead of being forced I see the concept as the opposite, a result of artistic freedom.
Well stated my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #1030
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
I don't think they are forcing themselves at all. Designers like to design and create and as long as they stay within regulations there is no forcing, especially not for a company that pride themselves to "lead never follow". Read the original post by Jason on the 1st page and you'll understand that BMW is all in on this design and everything about it is carefully thought out. Good designers when getting enough freedom create for the future not the past. Instead of being forced I see the concept as the opposite, a result of artistic freedom.
I'm sure you're right that BMW's designers have artistic freedom and design for the future. I'm also sure that's the case in most car companies. But it does nothing to guarantee that the results of that artistic freedom are good. There are examples of bad design everywhere in the car world, including the new grille.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #1031
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Holy moly, that would be hard to buy now.

I don't think I can do it,

Love many things about it but I can't go over that giant grill
Haha oh dear buddy, I thought the good news of the manual was you confirmed no matter what! Agree with it being off-putting big time.

However, I'll be at IAA this weekend to see this 4 series grill in person to decide. The only problem will be what alternatives there really are if this isn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #1032
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
I agree. My understanding was that the reason behind splitting the 4 series from the 3 series coupe was to be a step toward differentiating the coupe from the 3 series. It appears that the 3 series, as the volume seller, will continue on with safer, more conservative styling, and the 4 series will serve as a platform on which to experiment with bolder designs. It makes sense when you consider that the 4 series isn't exactly a huge seller.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #1033
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I agree. My understanding was that the reason behind splitting the 4 series from the 3 series coupe was to be a step toward differentiating the coupe from the 3 series. It appears that the 3 series, as the volume seller, will continue on with safer, more conservative styling, and the 4 series will serve as a platform on which to experiment with bolder designs. It makes sense when you consider that the 4 series isn't exactly a huge seller.
If the concept grille prevails it will stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #1034
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
If the concept grille prevails it will stay that way.
It's hard to predict how it'll sell when it's available though. I mean, I can't understand how Toyota could even sell one Prius, yet they're everywhere. Our opinions aren't necessarily representative of the broader market, and neither are our friends, or bimmerpost.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25022.00
JTO245274.50
stein_325i25083.00