Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Extended Traffic Jam Assistant - How to test?

03-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Extended Traffic Jam Assistant - How to test?

Supposedly ETJA came with drive assist pro. Drive assist itself is awesome and worth every money, however, I have yet to see ETJA become available -- there is never more than 2 mode available from the steering wheel (distance control and drive assist). My understanding based on the owners manual is that when conditions are right (on a freeway or similar, going under a certain speed, etc) that a third mode becomes available.

I can get it to use regular drive assist (requires occasional touching of the wheel, etc) in traffic jam situations, but it seems to be too slow to take off each time the car ahead moves forward. Hopefully ETJA solves this. I thought maybe I wasn't testing under the correct conditions (the typical traffic jam I encounter on my daily commute home is not on a freeway), so this morning I intentionally entered a traffic jam to try to test ETJA. The third mode never became available.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Make sure you have the eye detection box clicked in iDrive or it will never come up. I use it almost every day it's freaking awesome! Still a little nervous about the hands free but I'll get used to it soon enough.
      03-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Supposedly ETJA came with drive assist pro. Drive assist itself is awesome and worth every money, however, I have yet to see ETJA become available -- there is never more than 2 mode available from the steering wheel (distance control and drive assist). My understanding based on the owners manual is that when conditions are right (on a freeway or similar, going under a certain speed, etc) that a third mode becomes available.

I can get it to use regular drive assist (requires occasional touching of the wheel, etc) in traffic jam situations, but it seems to be too slow to take off each time the car ahead moves forward. Hopefully ETJA solves this. I thought maybe I wasn't testing under the correct conditions (the typical traffic jam I encounter on my daily commute home is not on a freeway), so this morning I intentionally entered a traffic jam to try to test ETJA. The third mode never became available.

There is no third mode. The only difference is that under 40mph and with the attention camera enabled you don't have to touch the steering wheel. Looking up straight ahead is enough to keep the driving assist active.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Make sure you have the eye detection box clicked in iDrive or it will never come up. I use it almost every day it's freaking awesome! Still a little nervous about the hands free but I'll get used to it soon enough.
Do you have some information appearing about this mode being available and have to confirm to use it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Do you have some information appearing about this mode being available and have to confirm to use it?
We don’t have it in the U.K.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50
      03-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
We don’t have it in the U.K.
Yeah, I know. Just wanted to confirm the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
When you're in "regular" assisted stop and go cruise control, it will steer for you but remind you to keep your hands on the wheel. With the assisted pro a new message pops up that you have to click on and then it activates (it's exactly what was described though - the car will steer, brake, accelerate, etc. without your hands ever on the wheel as long as you are looking forward past the camera thing at the top of the gauges.
hamera441.50
      03-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
When you're in "regular" assisted stop and go cruise control, it will steer for you but remind you to keep your hands on the wheel. With the assisted pro a new message pops up that you have to click on and then it activates (it's exactly what was described though - the car will steer, brake, accelerate, etc. without your hands ever on the wheel as long as you are looking forward past the camera thing at the top of the gauges.
Thanks for this clarification. We don't have that pop up message. Once you activate the Assisted Driving mode that's it. Depending on your speed it's hands free or not.

Last edited by hamera; 03-10-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
I had it checked during my tests. I'm wondering if the camera is having trouble viewing my eyes even with non-polarized, gradient tint Raybans?

Update -- This morning I looked and above was incorrect, the box was unchecked during the last test. I'll try again when I have the opportunity, and report back.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 03-11-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:57 AM   #10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post

You have to be on a freeway, not sure what the minimum speed limit of the road has to be, but for me it activates when I'm on a highway with a 100km/h speed limit and traffic is moving less than 60km/h. You have to be in driving assist mode, a message will popup on telling you that traffic jam assist is available, press the mode button and a third mode, traffic jam assist, will be selected. As long as you're going under 60km/h, and you're cruise control speed is set at the limit (100km/h for me), you can keep your hands off the steering wheel indefinitely and the car will do everything for you. You only have to keep your eyes on the road, which the camera keeps track of. As soon as you hit 60km/h, the regular driving assist mode activates again and you have to hold the steering wheel again.
Appreciate 0