Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Hardwire dashcam

01-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I just looked this up because it seemed like a clever solution, but holy shit....~$300 for a battery. That seems steep for what it is.
Yeah, I really wanted one but have hesitated because of price too. I will get one eventually though, better to have parking mode than not
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
simonbt
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedeejay View Post
Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

Just got all my stuff this morning. Didnt think about what size fuse taps I'd need, only got Mini ones

Just to check I got this right for tapping into Mini fuses

Batt (always on) to #36
Acc (switched) to #59

Tried using a circuit tester on the fuses but naturally as soon as you open the car door every fuse comes to life so couldnt actually check which ones are always on or switched myself
If you turn the ignition off and leave the doors open it does eventually all turn off so you can test.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #25
simonbt
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I just looked this up because it seemed like a clever solution, but holy shit....~$300 for a battery. That seems steep for what it is.
Yeh, it is pretty expensive but the reasons I used to justify it:
  1. LiFePo4 batteries are much less temperature affected so going to handle very hot cars without exploding!
  2. They charge very quickly - I've found that it takes around 35minutes of driving to give you 17 hours of parking mode
  3. There's a USB port allowing you to connect a Wifi dongle which will keep your car connected to the cloud throughout parking mode
  4. They pass-through charge so don't require any manual intervention (like if you were to use a standard (much cheaper) battery pack
  5. Car batteries do not like being discharged, so if this saves me having to replace the car battery even once its paid for itself.

For those thinking of heading down this route, I found that a Huawei E8372 Wifi broadband dongle will work well to keep it constantly cloud connected (who else knew if a broadband dongle has wifi it is called a Wingle?!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E837.../dp/B014WMEJ2Q
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #26
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbt View Post
If you turn the ignition off and leave the doors open it does eventually all turn off so you can test.
I tried that, turned car off and long press of volume button for iDrive. Displays did the shutdown animation. Left door open came back 20 mins later and every fuse was still live. Put phone on wireless charging tray and in a charger for cig lighter and definitely had power still. Don't think the car actually shuts down until doors shut and locked for 3 mins (which explains the power magic pro keeping power for 3 mins after locking door with parking mode off)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #27
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Something weird is happening to the blackvue based on how I lock my car.
Sometimes I only take my phone with me and use the digital key, when I do that I find that the parking mode doesn't really work, the camera loses power as soon as I lock the car.
When I use the keys instead of the phone it doesn't lose power. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:24 AM   #28
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Something weird is happening to the blackvue based on how I lock my car.
Sometimes I only take my phone with me and use the digital key, when I do that I find that the parking mode doesn't really work, the camera loses power as soon as I lock the car.
When I use the keys instead of the phone it doesn't lose power. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Maybe try a different always on fuse and rule that out? That fuse diagram website I posted shows 29 as being always on so should work though. If that doesn't sort it I'd say return the power magic pro and get a replacement. Camera firmware and settings all ok too?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #29
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

FW is the latest, the magic pro was taken out of my F30 and it worked just fine there so maybe it is the fuse but I did try #36 and no change.
I wonder if it's the voltage set on the magic pro because when my car is charging, parking mode works fine (might be a high voltage when it's plugged in?)
Which voltage should it be set, 12v or 12.5? I have it set to 12v right now.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
FW is the latest, the magic pro was taken out of my F30 and it worked just fine there so maybe it is the fuse but I did try #36 and no change.
I wonder if it's the voltage set on the magic pro because when my car is charging, parking mode works fine (might be a high voltage when it's plugged in?)
Which voltage should it be set, 12v or 12.5? I have it set to 12v right now.

Your car battery most likely stays above the threshold when plugged in. I have mine set to 12.5v at the moment and 12 hour timer, but its only recording for around 1hour30 in parking mode before it cuts off so I'll be giving 12v a go at the weekend and hope the car doesn't go crazy when it's dropped to 12
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #31
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Found this hardwire install manual for BMW's "Car Eye 2.0" dashcam. It has G20-specific wiring diagrams, fuse locations and other info some people may find useful in their own DIY installs. I'm planning on installing a Thinkware Q800 soon.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/attach...mentid=2024297
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #32
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hardwired my Thinkware Q800pro dashcam over the weekend, using the "mirror tap" method detailed in this post: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post25390353

Like the BlackVue 650s, the Q800pro has a parking mode, which relies on being hardwired to an unswitched 12V circuit (in addition to the switched 12V input wire and ground wire). So in addition to tapping the mirror wiring as detailed, I also tapped the pink/green wire on the red connector as the unswitched "battery" lead. So far this setup is working perfectly. The unit stays in normal operating mode for 5-10 minutes after the car is turned off, then goes into to parking mode once the switched 12V input powers down.

After reading this and other threads on the topic, I expected to encounter issues where parking mode shuts down after a very short period due to voltage drop, and/or the car complains about the battery voltage dropping too low. So far, I have experienced neither. I have the battery protection level on the Q800 set as high as it will go (which is only 12.3V). The cam has run all night two nights in a row, recording motion events overnight and all the way up until I've started the car the next morning. The cam hasn't shut off at all apparently, which I assume means the battery hasn't dropped below 12.3V at any point. I'm not sure what the warning threshold is, but the car hasn't complained at all about the battery level yet, so I'm taking that as a win.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #33
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Photo of finished install. Happy with how clean this worked out to be.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VBnZNsq/E8582-E72-0...BFA18-B226.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Jeffrey8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 g20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Photo of finished install. Happy with how clean this worked out to be.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VBnZNsq/E8582-E72-0...BFA18-B226.jpg[/img]
Looks very good !
What kind of cable did you use to do the hard wiring ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #35
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey8 View Post
Looks very good !
What kind of cable did you use to do the hard wiring ?
I cut apart and modified the hardwire cable that came in the kit with the Q800. I cut the adapter plug off with ~12" of cable still attached, then soldered that directly into the inline fuse holders from the other end of the cable (and discarded the ~15' of cable in the middle). Then on the other end of the fuse holders I removed the spade connectors that were meant to screw into the car's fuse blocks and replaced them with long PCB header pins (makes tapping into the mirror wiring harness easy). Was left with a ~18" cable (with inline fuses) that tucked inside the rearview shroud nicely.

Last edited by 2020g20; 03-30-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #36
alxmorph
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30, BMW M340i G20

Guys, could someone please tell me the ACC fuse in the trunk. I want to hardwire Blackvue B-124x, but was unable to find the ACC fuse. I have checked only big ones, every single fuse has shown 12V with the engine being off.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #37
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

I had my dash cam hardwired by the dealer beware of battery drainage if you use parking mode. anyway with the new drive recorder a dash cam is futile
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:20 AM   #38
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
I had my dash cam hardwired by the dealer beware of battery drainage if you use parking mode. anyway with the new drive recorder a dash cam is futile
There is no recording with ‘drive recorder’ whilst the car is not running so doesn’t fully replace a dash cam with parking mode.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #39
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Just thought I'd reply with this. Found this great website showing what every fuse does and whether it goes through ignition relay or not. Will come in use to someone no doubt. Attached pic of fuses I looked at and whether always on or ignition switched. This is for the driver footwell fuse box (RHD UK Car) 320d xDrive
I would recommend using a dedicated battery connected to the ignition switched. In my last car (Audi Q7), I had a Thinkware F770 connected to the always on so I could take advantage of the parking mode features.

It was fine most of the time but if you went a few weeks with light usage, I would get some strange behaviours from the electronics (handbrake fault was one) until the battery was back at full charge.

I did have one occasion after parked at the airport for a week in the winter, if flattened the battery! The dashcam was supposed to stop after 48 hours or when voltage dropped but something went wrong.

On the 340, looking to get a Cellink NEO installed in the boot. Was thinking of Thinkware U1000 but holding out to see if the T700 is released with inbuilt SIM.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #40
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
There is no recording with ‘drive recorder’ whilst the car is not running so doesn’t fully replace a dash cam with parking mode.
true, you're right
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #41
my3ung
First BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive MSport Edition

Fuse Assignments - VIOFO A119 V3

Quote:
Just thought I'd reply with this. Found this great website showing what every fuse does and whether it goes through ignition relay or not. Will come in use to someone no doubt. Attached pic of fuses I looked at and whether always on or ignition switched. This is for the driver footwell fuse box (RHD UK Car) 320d xDrive

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...lim/1VndYK3WHl
Thanks to Joedeejay for the picture and link. Using this information along with countless hours of research and youtube videos, I believe I found the solution that works for my LHD Canada 330i xDrive.

I purchased fuse taps from Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Fuse Assignments are:

*For BATT - Fuse 38 (Empty) - Assigned to NFC Charging
->Slotted a 5A & 3A fuse to the fuse tap.

*For ACC - Fuse 71 - (Occupied) - Assigned to Ambient Lighting
->Slotted the existing 5A fuse and added the 3A fuse to the fuse tap

*For GROUND - Drilled a small hole the size of a #12 bolt into the metal bracket which holds the Airbag (See image). There is a screw and nut which holds one side of the airbag to the bracket, but I discovered you can't take the screw off or get enough space in between to slip the ground wire in. No other metal screws in the vicinity so drilling was my only option.

*Set the limiter to 12.2v

My reasons for going this route. If you can understand fuse taps and which side is the LOAD and DRAW sides then you will have a better understanding of the direction the fuse taps need to be plugged in and which direction the fuses themselves need to be plugged in to prevent blowing the fuses. Since the fuse box presents some slotting challenges, I worked with what was available.

Fuse 38 was empty and only assigned to one item in the car (NFC Charging).
Fuse 71, although occupied, was only assigned to one item in the car (ambient lighting). It also provided enough distance from the other fuse tap to fit nicely.
This information was verified using the fuse diagram and the link above.

(Side note: I chose not to mess with F59 as this was also assigned to Driver Assistance.)

I tested the dashcam overnight (12 hours) as I left it to do its thing in the car. Checked the footage in the morning and looked good. Then went to go start my car and that was also smooth.

I've adjusted my parking mode settings and will monitor the results in the coming days.

My YouTube Video Explanation of the Ground Wire:
Note-It's not upside down, this is what the view looks like if you are to lay on the floor and look up

Here is the image of my setup:

Hope this helps!

I'll post a video showing the final outcome in the next day or so.
*Update: Video Added*

Thanks for everyone's input prior to installation. Very helpful and appreciative.

Last edited by my3ung; 07-02-2020 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #42
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Has anyone tried installing the Dashcam battery in the Trunk?
There is a write up in another thread but the OP uses an ATO fuse.
Unfortunately I only have a Mini Fuse. Not sure which fuse to use.
F214 is USB - this could make sense but it says it is a 5A fuse. Is this ok to use for the dash cam with a fuse tap?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #43
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3ung View Post
My Fuse Assignments are:

*For BATT - Fuse 38 (Empty) - Assigned to NFC Charging
->Slotted a 5A & 3A fuse to the fuse tap.

*For ACC - Fuse 71 - (Occupied) - Assigned to Ambient Lighting
->Slotted the existing 5A fuse and added the 3A fuse to the fuse tap

*For GROUND - Drilled a small hole the size of a #12 bolt into the metal bracket which holds the Airbag (See image). There is a screw and nut which holds one side of the airbag to the bracket, but I discovered you can't take the screw off or get enough space in between to slip the ground wire in. No other metal screws in the vicinity so drilling was my only option.
Heya

I bought the same dash cam you have, after reading many positive reviews about it. I haven't bought the fuse taps and 3 wire hardwire kit yet. Did you buy the Viofo HK3ACC kit?

Also. Did you just drill the screw into the metal and screw the ground in there? No nuts behind it and the screw doesn't make contact with anything else? I'm worried about drilling, especially into a metal airbag holder of all things I was hoping for another ground option but you said there wasn't any. Which socks.

Did you notice any issue so far with regards to the car battery draining and such? I read about others saying the car started becoming cranky because of the extra load and stuff.

Edit - Did you try the screw I’ve circled in yellow (screenshot from your video on YouTube)? Or did that have the same issue as the airbag screw?

In the second video where you show how you’ve routed the wire, did you have to remove any of the trims? Other than the one below the dashboard for the fuse box
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 08-19-2020 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #44
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Its annoying that they have dropped the passenger footwell 12volt socket, it was perfect for using to power a dash cam.
Appreciate 0