Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW working with Apple on futuristic digital "CarKey" using iPhone

03-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #45
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This would be amazing. I don't want to carry around a key for my wife's car and her key personalizes her settings so I have to manually change profiles each time. I started carrying around the NFC card key but it's added bulk in my wallet. If I could just tap my phone and use Face ID, that would be far more secure than using a normal key and also truly removes an item from my wallet/keychain. Though knowing BMW they'll make this a subscription feature or not available at all on older cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #46
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Is this only for new models coming out or this will work with some of the older models
      03-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #47
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I am all for convenience, but now if my phone is stolen in a restaurant, mall, etc... I am guessing I won't be seeing my car outside anymore either.
No different to losing your car keys? In fact, it may only unlock the car with safe recognition or fingerprint so perhaps more secure than a key fob.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #48
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Is this only for new models coming out or this will work with some of the older models
I'm guessing the NFC/RFID hardware will be integrated into the door handles, to recognize your phone. So moving forward, it would be implemented into newer model vehicles and won't be able to be retrofitted easily.

Also, if this completely replaces the key fob, some sort of failsafe would have be designed into the system, incase your phone batteries dies, which certainly would require new hardware and programming.. One would assume..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #49
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
I was mostly being sarcastic, but the way the article phrases it, where it will use nfc so you won't have to take the phone out of your pocket makes it feel like this is a car thiefs dream.
NFC has like 3 inches of range. you're still gonna have to take your phone out.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #50
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm guessing the NFC/RFID hardware will be integrated into the door handles, to recognize your phone. So moving forward, it would be implemented into newer model vehicles and won't be able to be retrofitted easily.

Also, if this completely replaces the key fob, some sort of failsafe would have be designed into the system, incase your phone batteries dies, which certainly would require new hardware and programming.. One would assume..
The hardware is already there, because you can already do this if you have a samsung phone that supports digital key. If you're car came with the wallet key then I'd guess then it supports it. Apple being well a lockdown environment doesn't support NFC writes , only reads currently on ios (they only have it in applepay but no 3rd parties can use it)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #51
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Quote:

The hardware is already there, because you can already do this if you have a samsung phone that supports digital key.
That's only on the newer G-Series vehicles, I was referring to retrofitting it into the older models, such as the F-Series.

Also, with the NFC in the G-Series M340i, it only works with some Android phones and or if you have the NFC card, you must place it in the Wireless Charing tray, to start the vehicle.

It would be nice to have Apple Wallet support and not have to touch your phone at all, once the vehicle is unlocked.

#FirstWorldProblems
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 01:22 AM   #52
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I wish BMW worked with Apple on the iDrive and Navigation interface.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:21 AM   #53
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

With my Tesla (this is the same for Model 3/Model Y) your phone is your key and you carry the key card in your wallet as backup. You can purchase a separate key fob, but I haven't found the need to do so. If you don't like the phone, you can just use the key card similar to how you would use BMW's except you touch the B pillar with the Tesla instead of the door handle to gain entry. Also there is a designated place to put the key card in the car for both the BMW and Tesla for 'starting'.

The phone system on Tesla works extremely well. When you walk up to the vehicle with your phone, it automatically unlocks when you grab the door handle and you get in and put the car in drive (there is no separate ignition button in the Tesla). If you feel this is not secure enough, Tesla addressed the issue quite simply — you can set a 4 digit pin that has to be entered before you can drive away. When you leave the car, it automatically locks when you walk about 5-10 feet away (with a light horn beep and folded mirrors). It really is seamless and I haven't felt the need to use the PIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #54
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
That's only on the newer G-Series vehicles, I was referring to retrofitting it into the older models, such as the F-Series.

Also, with the NFC in the G-Series M340i, it only works with some Android phones and or if you have the NFC card, you must place it in the Wireless Charing tray, to start the vehicle.

It would be nice to have Apple Wallet support and not have to touch your phone at all, once the vehicle is unlocked.

#FirstWorldProblems
Agreed, it won't be something we could retrofit easily if at all.
I am pretty sure eventually the phone will replace the key entirely and allow for expanding with new functionalities but that will take some time yet.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #55
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
When are they going to to learn that Android should be the priority?
Probably the day when Android actually becomes priority. More people in the luxury demographic use Apple phones.
Appreciate 2
Soterios575.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #56
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtwo View Post
Not sure why so many BMW owners are against more tech incorporation into cars.

Presumably this will use FaceID so if your phone is stolen, unless they can break into that, they won't be able to access your car.
I wouldn't say "so many" it's typically the vocal minority that are against anything new. Just like the posters complaining about BMW's current styling despite the fact that BMW sales were better than ever in 2019. Some people would be perfectly happy with time standing still and that's fine but the masses expect progress which is why these companies invest heavily in the new technologies.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #57
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I wouldn't say "so many" it's typically the vocal minority that are against anything new. Just like the posters complaining about BMW's current styling despite the fact that BMW sales were better than ever in 2019. Some people would be perfectly happy with time standing still and that's fine but the masses expect progress which is why these companies invest heavily in the new technologies.
I am constantly reminded that this forum is mostly comprised (at least, as you said, the most vocal) of aging BMW purists and not automotive enthusiasts. This forum is so far removed from a typical car forum.
heavyD^23684.00
      03-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #58
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I am constantly reminded that this forum is mostly comprised (at least, as you said, the most vocal) of aging BMW purists and not automotive enthusiasts. This forum is so far removed from a typical car forum.
Yeah it's definitely a little different from most car forums. I'm not used to so many posters having "the sky is falling" mentality to everything new and different. However I do appreciate the maturity level compared to typical Subaru, Honda, and domestic forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #59
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

So comfort access already allows you to open your car without taking anything from your pocket.

The bmw connected app already allows you to unlock your car and run features from your phone.

This new feature...puts the two things together? I mean that's fine to see incremental improvement but forgive me for being underwhelmed. Wasn't so long ago that BMW was introducing engines with the highest N/A output per liter, the first non-exotic application of SMG, angel eyes, high revving V8's and V10's with ITB's....I think that would be more of what "automotive enthusiasts" will be looking to see from BMW.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be happy with tech advancements if the cars were still Ultimate Driving Machines. But if they keep getting worse to drive and more of the "Ultimate Technology Machine" then I'm not interested. Let's see what happens with the next gen
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #60
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

I would recommend everyone curious about this technology and where they are going check out https://carconnectivity.org

Really interesting info. The next gen of the phone-key combination is a low power (works if primary phone battery dies) solution that fundamentally works like a fob would.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #61
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Wait till BMW charges you an annual fee to use that Digital Key feature. Bloodsuckers.
They already do. Digital Key is only included for the first 4 years, afterwards it is $20/year.

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...ess_Activation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I would recommend everyone curious about this technology and where they are going check out https://carconnectivity.org

Really interesting info. The next gen of the phone-key combination is a low power (works if primary phone battery dies) solution that fundamentally works like a fob would.
Will be interesting to see how this develops. I won't be interested until later stages. This current implementation requires your phone to be very close to the door handle unlike Comfort Access which allows your key to be in your pocket.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #62
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
They can't even get the current version of connected drive APP to remote start the car. Why would this be any better? Why would I need to ventilate my interior when it's -10F outside?

Mercedes Me App can remote start the car and tell you the temperature of the car's interior. You could even use Amazon Alexa to lock/unlock and remote start with a PIN.
Plus, it won't even let you remote start if your fuel is too low.

BMW should work on that simple rudimentary function first before they turn a phone into a car key.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #63
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
It says lock, unlock, start, and remote start. That makes me think it's going to be iDrive 7 or later. If on the other hand it enables remote start in iDrive 6 cars I will buy it regardless of the price
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #64
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Screenshots show i8 compatibility which is odd, since the i8 is set to be discontinued next month. Note trunk is misspelled as "truck".

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #65
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Why in bmw they don't use this budget to make their cars more reliable,more lightweight or better sound instead of this feature?
Do we really need this?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #66
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I am all for convenience, but now if my phone is stolen in a restaurant, mall, etc... I am guessing I won't be seeing my car outside anymore either.
That's why phones have Face ID, fingerprint readers and passcodes.