Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 dme lock

06-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #89
g20_maz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
The difference is the ability to OTA push and the ability to remotely relock the DME. I will have faith however and hope it is simple, fast and safe.
I wonder if they have anything to block the connection to BMW servers. Perhaps something to make BMW believe the car is off
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
The difference is the ability to OTA push and the ability to remotely relock the DME. I will have faith however and hope it is simple, fast and safe.
I wonder if they have anything to block the connection to BMW servers. Perhaps something to make BMW believe the car is off
couldn't you just avoid updating the software?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #90
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_maz View Post
couldn't you just avoid updating the software?
You cannot pull the SIM card as it is located inside the Telematics Box (TCB) in the, (I am betting), trunk. I have never looked inside the latest ones so when I say "cannot" I really mean it is not reasonable to crack it open and find the SIM. It is coded, as lots of things BMW are, to the VIN so replacing it is out. The IMEI and other info should be printed on the face of the TCB. The antenna follows the same GPS antenna path to the shark fin and there is also a backup antenna located in the windshield, i think. This is incase of a rollover as your BMW will place an emergency call during a crash. if you rollover on the antenna it defaults to to the backup. The Telematics Control Box is integrated in a bunch of the vehicles systems. disabling it is not an option to retain normal functionality.

Apparently you can code out pushes with ESYS. Someone more versed in this software might have more info on this. You might lose traffic updates, map updates etc. if that means anything to people.

As far as I know, the user must accept the install of the OTA update as BMW does not install these without user consent. I have not read anything that specifically says they will not do this. There are certain features, like map updates, that are downloaded and installed without the user even knowing.

If a 3rd party has figured out how to get into the DME programatically, not only would I be impressed, you can bet your ass this will be patched. HOW is the question.

More likely, is that a hardware vulnerability will be found where the DME can be manipulated to take on requested changes via OBDII. I think that this is how the DME will eventually be manipulated. Just like they always have. It would be too cost preventative to replace the vulnerable DMEs. But like previous generations, a trip to the dealer, upgrading via OTA update, will relock the DME and/or throw a flag .

If people are really serious about performance upgrades, one could always use a stand alone ECU. Then you can do whatever the hell you want. Of course, it is not without big downfalls to usability and the reasoning most probably bought a BMW in the first place.

I have attached some light reading. All of this holds true sans the capability section as BMW and others have implemented more features available for the OTA updates.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1904.00685.pdf (1.25 MB, 2239 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #91
tinkiwanka
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw g20 320i

Has anyone cracked the ecu yet?
Appreciate 0