Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Preparation Driver Assistance

05-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
captainm1uk
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Preparation Driver Assistance

Hi

I was looking at my decoded vin sheet and saw this

S9QX Preparation Driver Assistance

Does anyone know what it is ? Is it the drive assistance pro turned off ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
Mugspence
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G21) XdriveTouring

I have this too in my new 330e which I bought from stock. If it is anything to do with DAP then I will need new hardware before it would work. But in presents times with a "chip" shortage it would be interesting to know if my "chips" are fitted in a Dec 2020 build.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
captainm1uk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugspence View Post
I have this too in my new 330e which I bought from stock. If it is anything to do with DAP then I will need new hardware before it would work. But in presents times with a "chip" shortage it would be interesting to know if my "chips" are fitted in a Dec 2020 build.
My car was built in April and is fully equipped with everything in the tech pack - HK speakers and wireless charging. So I'm hoping it will be there
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm1uk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugspence View Post
My car was built in April and is fully equipped with everything in the tech pack - HK speakers and wireless charging. So I'm hoping it will be there
You should have s5au?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 02:29 AM   #5
shanemeh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330I M Sport

Unlikely to be DAP. For this you need 3 cameras at the top of the windshield, 360 cameras around the car and the radar in the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:05 AM   #6
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemeh View Post
Unlikely to be DAP. For this you need 3 cameras at the top of the windshield, 360 cameras around the car and the radar in the front bumper.
And (invisible) shorter range radar sensors on all four corners, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:04 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

If the vin decode doesn't show 5AU then it's not got DAP.

Would be a deal breaker for me if I'd ordered it and it got pulled
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
captainm1uk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
If the vin decode doesn't show 5AU then it's not got DAP.

Would be a deal breaker for me if I'd ordered it and it got pulled
It doesnt show

It confuses me as they keep saying about upgrades afterwards but to that they would need to add the hardware. Unless they dont show it. Maybe if they did, no one would order factory specced cars - they would just wait and add later as it would be cheaper to do so
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Upgrading to DAP after is not going to be 'realistically' possible. Loads of different hardware required.

It's not like adding HBA which is a software FSC and a bit of coding.

I'd ask them straight out - you ordered DAP, are you getting DAP (almost certainly no if your VO doesn't have it) and if not, why not?

Personally, I'd be rejecting the vehicle as it's critical to me. I have used it daily since purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
captainm1uk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Did you order the Driving Assistant Professional pack @ £1250 or the Tech Plus Pack @ £3650?
No I didn't order any of those - just the Tech Pack

When ordered I knew it wouldn't be on but I keep reading all these press releases from BMW saying you can upgrade later, but I know in order to do that you need the correct hardware.

So if they are not installing the hardware then why issue the statement.

Tesla already sell their cars with all the hardware on it - this also brings down production costs etc and from the statement from BMW they are going in that direction. Which contradicts some of the comments on here (not just this post)

Another example is the front radar - i think this is present as it has pedestrian warning (along with the cameras in the HBA prep) and the front radar and cameras are also used in the Assisted Driving View which you say isnt present on the car, but they share the same components. This is why I'm getting confused
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm1uk View Post
When ordered I knew it wouldn't be on but I keep reading all these press releases from BMW saying you can upgrade later, but I know in order to do that you need the correct hardware.

So if they are not installing the hardware then why issue the statement.

Tesla already sell their cars with all the hardware on it - this also brings down production costs etc and from the statement from BMW they are going in that direction. Which contradicts some of the comments on here (not just this post)

Another example is the front radar - i think this is present as it has pedestrian warning (along with the cameras in the HBA prep) and the front radar and cameras are also used in the Assisted Driving View which you say isnt present on the car, but they share the same components. This is why I'm getting confused
You might be less confused and less contradictory if you actually read the press release and the Autocar report. Driving Assistant Professional is not mentioned at all, and others in this forum have correctly pointed out that a lot more hardware is needed. As a consumer, you have a choice to buy whatever brand of car you like, Tesla included.

Press release: The next step towards greater flexibility will be to allow additional vehicle functions to be added later. Current examples include the High-Beam Assistant, the Active Cruise Control (ACC) driver assistance system with Stop&Go, and the BMW Drive Recorder.

Autocar: Users can then log on to the ConnectedDrive Store and 'activate' specific features, such as high beam assist and active cruise control, for a flat fee or a monthly subscription.
High beam assist is a one-off £160 add-on, for example, while you can now trial various infotainment-based online services for £1 for the first month. But more hardware-based features, such as adaptive suspension and even heated seats, are set to move to this payment approach.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
captainm1uk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drykoke View Post
You might be less confused and less contradictory if you actually read the press release and the Autocar report. Driving Assistant Professional is not mentioned at all, and others in this forum have correctly pointed out that a lot more hardware is needed. As a consumer, you have a choice to buy whatever brand of car you like, Tesla included.

Press release: The next step towards greater flexibility will be to allow additional vehicle functions to be added later. Current examples include the High-Beam Assistant, the Active Cruise Control (ACC) driver assistance system with Stop&Go, and the BMW Drive Recorder.

Autocar: Users can then log on to the ConnectedDrive Store and 'activate' specific features, such as high beam assist and active cruise control, for a flat fee or a monthly subscription.
High beam assist is a one-off £160 add-on, for example, while you can now trial various infotainment-based online services for £1 for the first month. But more hardware-based features, such as adaptive suspension and even heated seats, are set to move to this payment approach.
I did read the press release and one part which has been missed out (above) is the last sentence

"BMW owners will be able to activate functions such as the High-Beam Assistant, the Active Cruise Control (ACC) driver assistance system with Stop&Go, and the BMW Drive Recorder, with the German brand to add more functions over time."

I'm not being contradictory - I was just asking a question on this forum
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #13
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I think non-DAP cars have a radar sensor behind the front grille for pedestrian avoidance etc, but it’s not the same as the long range sensor fitted to DAP cars.

With DAP I believe there’s also an ‘in the bodywork’ radar sensor on the four corners.

I wonder whether ‘preparation’ is just the DA hardware, or the extras needed for DAP?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #14
Mugspence
Rep

Annoying isn't it that no-one knows! It might help our speculations if we knew how many of our cars have this option? Is it everyone? Is it like the preparation for high beam assistant which seems to be common? I will ask my supplying garage about the option as someone there may have selected it intentionally when the car was originally ordered ( I bought a new car from stock).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #15
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I have DAP on my order, and the VIN decoder shows "S5AU Driving Assistant Professional" under "Driver Assistance And Lighting", but also "S9QX Preparation Driver Assistance" under "Other Equipment".

So I suspect there are parts of the system which are on all cars (S9QX) but for the full system you need S5AU. Since the press release mentions ACC as something you can buy OTA, this is probably enabled by S9QX.

Whether the S5AU is just software, or involves extra hardware, is not clear, and this may change (or have already changed) as models are updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
I have DAP on my order, and the VIN decoder shows "S5AU Driving Assistant Professional" under "Driver Assistance And Lighting", but also "S9QX Preparation Driver Assistance" under "Other Equipment".

So I suspect there are parts of the system which are on all cars (S9QX) but for the full system you need S5AU. Since the press release mentions ACC as something you can buy OTA, this is probably enabled by S9QX.

Whether the S5AU is just software, or involves extra hardware, is not clear, and this may change (or have already changed) as models are updated.
5AU is 100% additional hardware.

Check out the differences between the systems in the g05 tech training manual. Sure it's the same for the other Service Pack 2018 models like the G20: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1544379664

5AU turns on multiple codes across multiple ECU when in VO/FA but the hardware also needs to be there/purchased.

I misunderstood the OP as it implied that DAP was turned off, as though it had been ordered but not built. There are some relatively simple features that can be turned on like drive recorder and HBA, but nothing as complex as DAP
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #17
captainm1uk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
5AU is 100% additional hardware.

Check out the differences between the systems in the g05 tech training manual. Sure it's the same for the other Service Pack 2018 models like the G20: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...7&d=1544379664

5AU turns on multiple codes across multiple ECU when in VO/FA but the hardware also needs to be there/purchased.

I misunderstood the OP as it implied that DAP was turned off, as though it had been ordered but not built. There are some relatively simple features that can be turned on like drive recorder and HBA, but nothing as complex as DAP
This is a great tech spec - and reading this yes I agree its additional hardware but this contradicts what BMW want - they say we want the driver to customise the car even after purchase - but what they dont say is its limited to what you select when you buy the car. So the upgrade is limited and the above selling point becomes useless

Building a car with all the same equipment brings down production costs. I guess I'm gonna find out soon as its getting delivered in just over a week.

Thanks for all your comments
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #18
Mugspence
Rep

The answer is back from my BMW salesperson. " S9QX" is really just 9QX (there's an "S" in front of every option listed when I used a search on my VIN.
Option 9QX is actually "OAAS Prep High Beam Assist" which " Includes hardware preparation including button controls for High-beam assistant functionality, which can be purchased and activated via the Connected Drive store. Charges apply for this service."
The charge i think is £160.
So "preparation driver assistance" is limited to high beam assistant!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
Chris_1128
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

German BMW Connected Store

It is confusing why BMW German cars can be upgraded to adpative cruise control though. I wonder if they have all the hardware installed as standard?
https://www.bmw.de/de/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #20
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_1128 View Post
It is confusing why BMW German cars can be upgraded to adpative cruise control though. I wonder if they have all the hardware installed as standard?
https://www.bmw.de/de/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive
Possibly it's something they are going to introduce. I suspect that the worldwide semiconductor shortage may have a bearing on whether they fit it to all cars at the moment.

Note this from the link you sent:

"The availability of the feature depends on the hardware installed in the vehicle. As soon as you have logged into the Connected Drive Store, you will automatically only be shown services that you can purchase with your vehicle. If the service is not available, the required hardware is not installed in your vehicle."
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #21
PhilS01
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemeh View Post
Are these the same cameras that are used for Drive Recorder and Remote 3D View?

Just wondering if ordering DAP provides the hardware that might make Drive Recorder and Remote 3D View available for purchase through the Connected Drive Store at a later stage?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:45 AM   #22
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS01 View Post
Just wondering if ordering DAP provides the hardware that might make Drive Recorder and Remote 3D View available for purchase through the Connected Drive Store at a later stage?
It wasn't the case in 2019 when I ordered mine. For 3D View you need additional cameras in the mirror caps and the middle of the front grill. Not sure about the Driver recorder hardware but it's not available for my car either.
Appreciate 0