Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals M340i Draggy with Stage 2 Hits 1/4 Mile in 11.54s and 0-60 in 3.45s

01-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #67
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
some people dont want a compact car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Disagree. Plenty comfy in the back seat says my 6'1" son. It is NOT a compact. Awesome car.
I think the last compact 3 series was the E90, 2 generations ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #68
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Disagree. Plenty comfy in the back seat says my 6'1" son. It is NOT a compact. Awesome car.
Even that was too large for my 6'2" self, bought a 135i instead. Not everyone is into boats.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      01-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #69
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
So glad they sell a wagon version in the states, I'm going to go buy one right now!
Wagon version in the USA?
      01-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #70
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keya View Post
i really dont understand where the bad mood is comming from. everybody has his choice. the m3 is a fabolous beast... i know that. but i need a more comfy daily with extra power. so when someone ask me in person, i would say who needs a m3. i am not shit talking about the m3. the m3 is next level. but not for me, because of less comfort. not a good daily when you drive long diatances like me. when it only comes to power... the m3 will put this m340 in his pocket. so relax... and yes, thats not my car. never said its mine. just shared because i thought people are interested like me. isnt a forum about sharing?! but no worries dude... i have my own m340i! dont need someones car to declare as my own...
i shared the whole insta link. everybody can see who posted the video. you can see his, name and picture... how stupid is this discusion?!
It's ironic you keep sitting back and playing the role of a victim, when it's your talking down on M3's and to some degree M5's... You pretty much took something everyone was impressed by, considering this is the baseline that is now set for the next gen M3/4/5 etc and turned it into a - "340 is better because of X, Y and Z reasons... Then when people disagree, you want to know why everyone's in a bad mood... When you use the words - "who needs a..." it's considered negative not a friendly discussion... Without this type of performance for next gen, we wouldn't keep getting better performing...

I should know better though... This takes me back to the e9x era when jb4 335's we're close to e9x M3 numbers, lol... That was a shit show...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #71
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Quote:
So glad they sell a wagon version in the states, I'm going to go buy one right now!
Think they mean this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #72
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Even back then we were all complaining how it was the same size as outgoing 5 series...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #73
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's a shame this car isn't available in a manual. It's more than enough car for me and it's more fun to modify a car like this than something like an M3.
Why would you need to modify an M3?
You've never changed the sprockets or gearing on your crotch rocket? Oil catch can? Frame sliders? Air filters? Puig double bubble windscreen? Different rubber/fluids? Shorty levers? Not much out there faster than a sport bike but we still modify those too...

You just do, I guess... I can't tell you last two or four wheel vehicle I've left unmolested... It just makes it more your own I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #74
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
who needs a m3... that is by far the better daily 🤙👍
Do M3/4 drivers talk down to 3/4 series? I'm genuinely curious...

I took that guys M3 comment as more - "holy shit, imagine how fast the next gen (g8x) is gonna be!"

It's so strange to me that as expected, the new generation of cars are faster than current generation cars, yet we all marvel at it at every new gen of cars, lol... But why is it suddenly - "fuck M3 !! Fuck M5!!!" Shit makes no sense to me... I'm pretty sure if given a choice of a free 340 tuned or a M3, we know which direction you're going to go...

So much shit talking for a car and tune and mods that aren't even yours, lol...
Relax and go take a walk you're reading way too far into it. Fuck m3, m5? Who said that?
"Who needs a M3?" Is the long winded version of "fuck M3..." It was a legitimate question, hence the "generally curious" as to if it's reversed the other way... I haven't paid much attention but hoped that M3/4 drivers wouldn't talk down to 340/440 owners...

Still think it's asinine though to start bagging on the outgoing platform with the new platform...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #75
zeddladd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCGILLESPIE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Sweet Jesus I need to swap out my 330i lmao
Definitely worth every penny.. I love my m340ix. Sick car...
Give these a year or so and they'll depreciate to barely 1/2 their purchase price.. would be a good time to snatch one up then!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCGILLESPIE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Sweet Jesus I need to swap out my 330i lmao
Definitely worth every penny.. I love my m340ix. Sick car...
Give these a year or so and they'll depreciate to barely 1/2 their purchase price.. would be a good time to snatch one up then!!
I scooped up a 2016 340xdrive under 30k miles for $22k - I feel like I stole the car -
Appreciate 1
xcusem3456.50
      01-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #76
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Quote:
Think they mean this...
That's what I thought they meant. None of the Wagons are slated for the US unless something has changed in the last few days.....🤷🏻
      01-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #77
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I had a 340i. But I wanted a sportier car. I asked myself what I would be missing by upgrading to a real M car:

Front and side camera
Soft suspension
Softer seats
Noise dampening?
Quiet exhaust
Higher ride height

One by one I all but eliminated these excuses:

Front and side camera - how often am I backing into and out of a parking spot?
Soft suspension - most people lower their car anyway. Why would this be an argument for a non-M car?
Softer seats - I found that the F80 seats are actually just as or more comfortable. I like the side bolsters.
Noise dampening - turn the radio up and it doesn't matter.
Quiet exhaust - I wanted an MPE anyway so this doesn't matter
Higher ride height - got/want suspension anyway so this doesn't matter.
well... it doesnt matter to you dude. everbody has another subjective feeling about all the things you said. i had the previos m3 for a weekend.
in my opinion...
sound was great! not too load for short trips. but i do 100km everyday. that is too much in my case. i know that this is gonna annoy me after a while.
the seats... they are great. no problems here.
the suspension... well that is too much for me as a daily. for a weekend run on twisties great. and i can go on and seperate my thoughts further...

what is too stiff for me may be fine for you and vice versa

for me... a father with kids... i have different expectations.
i never wanted to talk the m3 bad. i am just talking from my own perspective.
As a father I dailed 80 miles a day in my F80 for 2 years with little problem. Considering the M340i has a sporty suspension, I don't see why an F80 would be prohibitively uncomfortable in comparison. The exhaust on the S55 is not loud unless you are in sport mode or have an MPE. The M340i isn't necessarily quiet either.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #78
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's a shame this car isn't available in a manual. It's more than enough car for me and it's more fun to modify a car like this than something like an M3.
Both my previous and current M3 are modified. In fact I just ordered MPHAS, stud conversion, and GC camber plates. Track pads and track wheels are next. As a streetable track car, why WOULDN'T you modify an M3?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      01-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #79
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Quote:
"Who needs a M3?" Is the long winded version of "fuck M3..." It was a legitimate question, hence the "generally curious" as to if it's reversed the other way... I haven't paid much attention but hoped that M3/4 drivers wouldn't talk down to 340/440 owners...

Still think it's asinine though to start bagging on the outgoing platform with the new platform...

dude... if i wanted to say fuck m3... i'll kept it short and said that.
but i didnt. i said, "who needs a m3".

for better understanding:
i come from germany... we use that type of sentences when we for example want to say... "no need for a better one", it has the same meaning with "who needs a"

quess i shouldnt translate german slang into english

Last edited by john!smith; 01-11-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #80
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You've never changed the sprockets or gearing on your crotch rocket? Oil catch can? Frame sliders? Air filters? Puig double bubble windscreen? Different rubber/fluids? Shorty levers? Not much out there faster than a sport bike but we still modify those too...

You just do, I guess... I can't tell you last two or four wheel vehicle I've left unmolested... It just makes it more your own I suppose...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

🦅

The bike is mildly modified; Stock gearing.

I meant to say I think M3 is nice in stock trim.

If I had a 340 perhaps suspension that's it; but not the M3

But I hear ya 🦅
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #81
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
I think we can all agree that the numbers posted by OP are impressive for a non M car. I am excited to see what the new M3/M4 platform will do.

I just don't like the whole commentary about how x is better than M3 or how it's as fast as M5 blah blah blah. If you really look at the numbers then you'll see otherwise. Secondly, tuned vs stock comparison is just stupid.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 4
jmg18493.00
ra2289302.00
shoei7778.00
zamboni1124.50
      01-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #82
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
i really dont understand where the bad mood is comming from. everybody has his choice. the m3 is a fabolous beast... i know that. but i need a more comfy daily with extra power. so when someone ask me in person, i would say who needs a m3. i am not shit talking about the m3. the m3 is next level. but not for me, because of less comfort. not a good daily when you drive long diatances like me. when it only comes to power... the m3 will put this m340 in his pocket. so relax... and yes, thats not my car. never said its mine. just shared because i thought people are interested like me. isnt a forum about sharing?! but no worries dude... i have my own m340i! dont need someones car to declare as my own...
i shared the whole insta link. everybody can see who posted the video. you can see his, name and picture... how stupid is this discusion?!
I had a 340i. But I wanted a sportier car. I asked myself what I would be missing by upgrading to a real M car:

Front and side camera
Soft suspension
Softer seats
Noise dampening?
Quiet exhaust
Higher ride height

One by one I all but eliminated these excuses:

Front and side camera - how often am I backing into and out of a parking spot?
Soft suspension - most people lower their car anyway. Why would this be an argument for a non-M car?
Softer seats - I found that the F80 seats are actually just as or more comfortable. I like the side bolsters.
Noise dampening - turn the radio up and it doesn't matter.
Quiet exhaust - I wanted an MPE anyway so this doesn't matter
Higher ride height - got/want suspension anyway so this doesn't matter.
My F80 has surround view inc reversing camera...

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      01-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #83
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i come from germany... we use that type of sentences when we for example want to say... "no need for a better one", it has the same meaning with "who needs a"

No offense but I see that time to time... Language barrier being a cop out... If you didn't make digs at the M3 and justified what you said repeatedly, until you noticed people didn't agree or care for your statement and didn't play the role of the victim, it'd be a different story...

But for the sake of you being German, the cars we're currently talking about being Bavarian, let's just all enjoy the performance that's coming up in the next gen... It's why we're here... To see what we can expect with next gen of our current cars or cars we hope to purchase... We're not here to humble brag about our cars, just curious to see what kind of performance we can expect from G8X and onwards...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #84
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Your comment about "who needs a M3" simply sparked an old debate. If you didn't say it someone else would have. Been happening for a few generations now. You may not have meant for it to go this direction but it's actually not that bad so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #85
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Your comment about "who needs a M3" simply sparked an old debate. If you didn't say it someone else would have. Been happening for a few generations now. You may not have meant for it to go this direction but it's actually not that bad so far.
Just search the Top Gear "Cool Wall". I doubt if the M340i would qualify, pretty sure the F80 comp would...

I must get a 340 on test and see for myself

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #86
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Just search the Top Gear "Cool Wall". I doubt if the M340i would qualify, pretty sure the F80 comp would...

I have an F80 M3, so that should make my preference clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #87
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
More like $20k. M5s are selling all day long for $100k.
Paid 54k for my M340i. All day long at 100k for an M5 is still basically twice the price. Not sure I understand your point?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #88
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post

I have an F80 M3, so that should make my preference clear.
Me too....

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0