Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

01-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #111
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keya View Post
the question is... does the regular m340i exhaust have m performance letters?
i guess yes, because it is called a m performance modell. it has also performance letters on the engine cover.
Good question...I wish I could check but my car is getting ceramic coated as we speak. If nobody else is able to check, I will first thing Monday morning.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #112
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Good question...I wish I could check but my car is getting ceramic coated as we speak. If nobody else is able to check, I will first thing Monday morning.
This post supposedly shows the stock muffler.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1616306
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #113
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
This post supposedly shows the stock muffler.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1616306
There we go, thanks!

So no stamped M Performance leads me to believe it's definitely a different part than the "upgraded" M Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #114
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Quote:
There we go, thanks!

So no stamped M Performance leads me to believe it's definitely a different part than the "upgraded" M Performance exhaust.
i am still not sure, because...

there are some differences in the exhausts in m340i models.

eu version is a different to US version.
that is based on european restrictions and emission regulations. two opf's are installed as you may know. so the exhaust system has limited flow. that models are much quieter.

the non eu models have other exhaust flow rates because of missing particle filter.

so... it could be a reason for stamped and unstamped exhaust?!

so can a us/canadian member check his stock exhaust and a european member?

i guess that
non eu is stamped,
eu is unstamped.
if i am wrong... im going to order a stamped one
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #115
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

that is based on european restrictions and emission regulations. two opf's are installed as you may know. so the exhaust system has limited flow. that models are much quieter.

the non eu models have other exhaust flow rates because of missing particle filter.

i guess that
non eu is stamped,
eu is unstamped.
But that link was to a US member and it's not stamped. I can pretty much guarantee that the EU version is not stamped either. So I really can't imagine BMW would be selling an "M Performance" stamped exhaust to US/Canadian customers that is no different other than the branding.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #116
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

i guess that
non eu is stamped,
eu is unstamped.
But that link was to a US member and it's not stamped. I can pretty much guarantee that the EU version is not stamped either. So I really can't imagine BMW would be selling an "M Performance" stamped exhaust to US/Canadian customers that is no different other than the branding.
I asked my CA about this today and he said it was the first they'd heard about it. Although this seems to be on par w what everyone else says it seems. I'm not sure why they're in the dark, this vehicle is going on almost 12 months since release...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:28 AM   #117
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

I just had my M Performance exhaust ("MPE") installed today on my m340i. I will be posting videos of the sound when I have time later.

The difference vs. stock is like night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best), I would rate this a clear 10. The absolute best modification I've made to the car. The acoustics completely change the character of the car, and perfectly complement the improved driving dynamics of the m340i. Frankly, it makes the car whole. In my opinion, this is an absolutely critical mod if you have a m340i.

The MPE completely blows away the stock exhaust (which I thought was a huge improvement over the F30's base 340i exhaust). I would say that it closely resembles the sounds of the 340i MPPSK. In fact, I think this version of MPE is slightly better than prior versions I've had. As an aside, I would speculate that BMW does not release a power kit for the m340i as its "m" performance moniker means the car already comes power tuned, so purchasing the MPE is the last piece to getting the desired MPPSK effects.

Unfortunately, BMW so far has done a very poor job clearly delineating the MPE vs stock, or even that the MPE exists. But it does exist, as it has a unique part number, carries a hefty price tag (I got a good deal at around $1,400), and it's clearly identified by the MPE branding on the unit (this is an absolute tell-tale sign that it's a MPE). But ultimately it's the sound of the exhaust that validates it's existence.

You can tell the difference immediately on cold start. The car absolutely roars during the initial cold start phase and gradually quiets down to a subtle, but present rumbling sound (that sounds very refined, yet subtlety menacing as it continues to quite down, but hinting at what lies beneath).

Comfort ("C") mode remains civil (as you'd expect from a BMW), but there is a noticeable difference vs. stock. In C mode you barely, if ever, hear any crackles and pops, but there are some slight burbles on down-shift, but it's very subtle. However, what's nice about C mode with MPE, is that the exhaust gives off a nice, satisfying, consistent muffled sound when driving that sounds very sporty, yet refined from a luxury standpoint (absolutely no droning, which is typical of MPE quality).

However, the exhaust takes a 180-degree turn in Sport mode... very beast-like, totally different character. Since I'm still breaking my car in, I haven't yet heard the full extent of the upshift sounds, which I hope will mirror the bark-like, fart-like sound as the C43 AMG does on upshift.

However, it's on downshifts where you can immediately tell the difference vs. stock. I know from experience that each MPE can give off its own unique set of sounds, so I'm not sure if other MPE owners have experienced the same, but my downshift burbles are so prominent, like I've never heard before (and I've owned a few MPEs). The sounds on downshift are a series of very prominent, constant burbles, cracks, pops, each in quick succession. And it doesn't take much effort to elicit these sounds. You can hear them very clearly through the cabin (which is so satisfying and very hooligan-like, I love it). Yet, it's even more prominent outside the car and had garnered the attention of quite a few pedestrians. Also, absolutely no droning, which is what you would expect from BMW.

I have yet to hear any gun shots, but I do expect those to come under harsher driving conditions, once the exhaust has fully broken in, and the temperatures rise. As an aside, I do like the gun shot sounds, but sometimes they come across like a sound you'd here from a jalopy, so I really only like the gun shots in moderation. They definitely catch pedestrians by surprise and can be embarrassing at times, so we'll see how that develops with time. My prior experience has shown that gun shots are most prominent in Sport + mode.

Speaking of Sport +, everything gets amplified by a factor of 2. The cracks, burbles, pops continue in quick succession, but a bit louder. Another sound I love is when the car is in park or neutral, and you press on the gas, the sound that emanates from the exhaust is hard to explain, but it sounds very futuristic-like, with a kind of sonic boom-like sound of raw power (it's readily present, yet subtle and refined). It's really interesting and perfectly encapsulates the character of this thing.

I know I'm waxing poetic about this MPE, but it really is that good. I'm sure the videos I'll load won't do it justice. You just have to experience it yourself in person. If your on the fence about getting one of these, I would advise taking the plunge as you won't be disappointed. It's really satisfying, and money well spent. Again, it makes the m340i complete.
Appreciate 9
      01-05-2020, 03:36 AM   #118
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post
I just had my M Performance exhaust ("MPE") installed today on my m340i. I will be posting videos of the sound when I have time later.

The difference vs. stock is like night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best), I would rate this a clear 10. The absolute best modification I've made to the car. The acoustics completely change the character of the car, and perfectly complement the improved driving dynamics of the m340i. Frankly, it makes the car whole. In my opinion, this is an absolutely critical mod if you have a m340i.

The MPE completely blows away the stock exhaust (which I thought was a huge improvement over the F30's base 340i exhaust). I would say that it closely resembles the sounds of the 340i MPPSK. In fact, I think this version of MPE is slightly better than prior versions I've had. As an aside, I would speculate that BMW does not release a power kit for the m340i as its "m" performance moniker means the car already comes power tuned, so purchasing the MPE is the last piece to getting the desired MPPSK effects.

Unfortunately, BMW so far has done a very poor job clearly delineating the MPE vs stock, or even that the MPE exists. But it does exist, as it has a unique part number, carries a hefty price tag (I got a good deal at around $1,400), and it's clearly identified by the MPE branding on the unit (this is an absolute tell-tale sign that it's a MPE). But ultimately it's the sound of the exhaust that validates it's existence.

You can tell the difference immediately on cold start. The car absolutely roars during the initial cold start phase and gradually quiets down to a subtle, but present rumbling sound (that sounds very refined, yet subtlety menacing as it continues to quite down, but hinting at what lies beneath).

Comfort ("C") mode remains civil (as you'd expect from a BMW), but there is a noticeable difference vs. stock. In C mode you barely, if ever, hear any crackles and pops, but there are some slight burbles on down-shift, but it's very subtle. However, what's nice about C mode with MPE, is that the exhaust gives off a nice, satisfying, consistent muffled sound when driving that sounds very sporty, yet refined from a luxury standpoint (absolutely no droning, which is typical of MPE quality).

However, the exhaust takes a 180-degree turn in Sport mode... very beast-like, totally different character. Since I'm still breaking my car in, I haven't yet heard the full extent of the upshift sounds, which I hope will mirror the bark-like, fart-like sound as the C43 AMG does on upshift.

However, it's on downshifts where you can immediately tell the difference vs. stock. I know from experience that each MPE can give off its own unique set of sounds, so I'm not sure if other MPE owners have experienced the same, but my downshift burbles are so prominent, like I've never heard before (and I've owned a few MPEs). The sounds on downshift are a series of very prominent, constant burbles, cracks, pops, each in quick succession. And it doesn't take much effort to elicit these sounds. You can hear them very clearly through the cabin (which is so satisfying and very hooligan-like, I love it). Yet, it's even more prominent outside the car and had garnered the attention of quite a few pedestrians. Also, absolutely no droning, which is what you would expect from BMW.

I have yet to hear any gun shots, but I do expect those to come under harsher driving conditions, once the exhaust has fully broken in, and the temperatures rise. As an aside, I do like the gun shot sounds, but sometimes they come across like a sound you'd here from a jalopy, so I really only like the gun shots in moderation. They definitely catch pedestrians by surprise and can be embarrassing at times, so we'll see how that develops with time. My prior experience has shown that gun shots are most prominent in Sport + mode.

Speaking of Sport +, everything gets amplified by a factor of 2. The cracks, burbles, pops continue in quick succession, but a bit louder. Another sound I love is when the car is in park or neutral, and you press on the gas, the sound that emanates from the exhaust is hard to explain, but it sounds very futuristic-like, with a kind of sonic boom-like sound of raw power (it's readily present, yet subtle and refined). It's really interesting and perfectly encapsulates the character of this thing.

I know I'm waxing poetic about this MPE, but it really is that good. I'm sure the videos I'll load won't do it justice. You just have to experience it yourself in person. If your on the fence about getting one of these, I would advise taking the plunge as you won't be disappointed. It's really satisfying, and money well spent. Again, it makes the m340i complete.
thank you very much for your impression!
so we can be sure, thats a real performance exhaust and nothing stock just different stamped or something. it would have been best if you did a before and after with same camera. but i am waiting anyway to hear your mpe
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:19 AM   #119
HyeM340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I haven't noticed it getting any louder but I'm just starting to get into the higher revs since I'm at the end of my break-in. TBH it was pretty loud as I was driving off the lot so I can't imagine it getting any louder especially for an OEM system.

I highly recommend getting the MPE, I test drove a M340i with the standard exhaust and wasn't that impressed. Sounded great but was probably only slightly louder than my F30 340i and a lot quieter than my 340i before I deleted the resonators.

6 weeks after I took delivery of mine with MPE installed at the port and I am loving it. I'd say it's a solid 15-25% louder than my 340i with the resonator delete but with a much nicer sound as well. Even with the windows up (can't wait until it gets warmer so I can hear it with the windows down ) in sport individual you get to hear a lot of the exhaust and can really feel the pops.
Did your 340i drone when you deleted the resonators. I think the M340i has 1 resonator. I also don't want it to be too crazy loud.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #120
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post

Videos please
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #121
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Can anyone else verify if the sound is different from the regular M340i exhaust vs M-Performance exhaust in sport/Sport+ mode, from within the cabin as well?

Or is it just for outsiders/bystanders as you drive around town...

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 01-09-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #122
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

When are the additional videos going to be available? 😎
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #123
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post
When are the additional videos going to be available? 😎
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #124
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

If this is available then why hasn't BMW added it to the M Performance catalogues or website? You'd think they would be pushing its presence, much like they did back when the F30 MPE and MPPSK were available...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #125
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I would order this in a snap if it comes available for the X3 M40i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #126
Alikader20
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

The Sounds of the BMW M340i M Performance Exhaust

BMW warranty is pretty flexible when it comes to the exhaust. Service manager at my local dealer told me I can any exhaust mod as long as I don't touch the cats. Weather the car is on lease or Finance. Now coming to when giving the car back. They won't give you a hard time as long as it's a bmw part then they won't care.
      01-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #127
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
If this is available then why hasn't BMW added it to the M Performance catalogues or website? You'd think they would be pushing its presence, much like they did back when the F30 MPE and MPPSK were available...
This sounds identical to my f30 MPPSK

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #128
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
I just put the MPPSK on my 2018 340 and it definitely sounds similar. With similar characteristics on start up, comfort and the sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #129
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
Everyone who has it says it's way better than this in person. However a bunch of us are still waiting for higher quality videos to back this. I'll prob still buy it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #130
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

gaddamn that sounds niiice
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #131
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dang!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #132
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Just do the resonator deletes. Can't tell from the tips and you'll save a bunch of money
Stock M340i muffler system does not have resonators.