Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications RaceChip GTS Black for G20 M340i xDrive

12-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
m340iguy
German Car Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive First Edition

RaceChip GTS Black for G20 M340i xDrive

Hey guys,

First of all, I would like to say that I praise myself to be a very cautious man, I had been patiently waiting for my vehicle to run for at least 2.000 miles under the most diverse and severe conditions before I even considered doing any modifications. (temperatures ranging between 18C-42C, dry/wet, highways with 8-gear eco/feet to floor, traffic jams).

Secondly, my vehicle's B58 engine ran all those miles mentioned above exclusively with 103 RON Premium Gas. It wasn't cheap but I don't mind spoiling my engine with the best that there is available as I DO expect a lot from her when I am feeling "The need for speed".

I can say with confidence, that I've gradually tested and pushed my vehicle and its engine to their limits , like a real test pilot that I am absolutely not, and God, this engine is really amazing.

Regardless of my great satisfaction, last week, my greedy side that knows there is a beast waiting to be unleashed kicked in and I've purchased the RaceChip GTS Black module. Received it two days later and installed it myself, did everything by the books and all went very well during all stages of the installation. Absolutely no errors. Sleek.

The App (for Android OS) on the other hand, is as buggy as it gets, can't seem to get it to function even with the uttermost support from the RaceChip authorized reseller while being guided in real time by the RaceChip's support team back in Germany.

RESULTS:
  1. Uninstalled the App and started using Manual Mode.
  2. RC Module was set manually to 7 (Race Mode).
  3. Went testing and felt absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between my vehicle in stock condition and with RC installed.
  4. I've contacted the seller, and they were kind and professional enough to immediately send me an entirely new RaceChip GTS Black kit (not just a new module).
  5. The new kit arrived 2 days later (yesterday), I've uninstalled the first RC kit fully and installed the new RC kit afterwards.
  6. Went testing under the same conditions, and AGAIN I've felt absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between my vehicle in stock condition and with the new RC kit installed.

The 30% overall power gain claims made by RaceChip GTS Black gives you really high expectations, after all, this is supposed to be their top-of-the-line, most aggressive product.

I'm really trying to accept the fact that maybe they've been exaggerating about what their product is really capable of, for commercial reasons, but feeling ABSOLUTELY NO GAIN after 30% power gain claims is quite disappointing.

I have two brand new RaceChip GTS Black kits in my garage right now and my feeling is to return both to them as soon as I can.

What am I missing here? What other options are available? Has anyone experienced this issue? What could it be? What really works for the G20 BMW M340i xDrive First Edition?

Would very much like your input if you may, thank you all.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      12-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Nobody runs that. For piggybacks the only system worth using is JB4 (add on the optional EWG connector for B58), or if you want something cheap with less features JB+. For flash tuning if not concerned with warranty you have a few options like MHD or BM3.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
m340iguy
German Car Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Nobody runs that. For piggybacks the only system worth using is JB4 (add on the optional EWG connector for B58), or if you want something cheap with less features JB+. For flash tuning if not concerned with warranty you have a few options like MHD or BM3.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Living in Brazil plays a huge role on my decision. We all rely on finding a professional smuggler to acquire any goods we want to purchase internationally (can't order myself).

I've never seen one of these smugglers offering JB4's for sale around here, I will see what I can find.

Oh, you must be asking why the need for a smuggler rather than to just just ordering myself, the reason is because any imports incoming from the USA/EU are subject to heavy taxation, as follows:

+ 60% General Import Tariff
+ 20% CCB Tax (Crossing Borders Capital Tax)
+ 0,38% TOAF Tax (Tax Over Any Financial Transaction)
+ 7,6% PCTPSW Tax (Program for Capitalization of The Public Servant's Wealth Tax)
+ 1,65% CFSS Tax (Contribution to Finance Social Security Tax)
+ 2% IP Tax (Industrialized Products Tax)
+ 17% SS Tax (State Sales Tax)

It adds up to +108,63% in Due Taxes, to be calculated over the receipt's total price (Including Product Cost + Shipping Cost + Insurance Cost), in addition to a 30-180 day timeline for the package to clear customs after entering Brazil.

So basically if I order the U$700 JB4 with connector + U$50 Shipping with the added taxes, the final price would be U$1.565 with an average of 120 days for delivery.

I was hoping for a solution to make RaceChip GTS Black work properly.

Warranty is a very big deal as you must imagine how much BMW replacement parts cost here after merchants pay these taxes and also take their cut. Example: A single M340i 255/35/19 RFT Tire that sells in the USA for U$350, sells for U$1.400 (400%) at Brazilian BMW Dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340iguy View Post
What am I missing here? What other options are available? Has anyone experienced this issue? What could it be? What really works for the G20 BMW M340i xDrive First Edition?

Forum member r33_RGSport is a partner/reseller of RaceChip and is well versed when it comes to their piggyback box. Perhaps they would be able to help you
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12909.00
      12-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Wow what a rip on taxes! Definitely find something on the "black market" for it.
Appreciate 2
MBM3401026.00
      12-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

Forum member r33_RGSport is a partner/reseller of RaceChip and is well versed when it comes to their piggyback box. Perhaps they would be able to help you
Thank you for your tag.
I'll try my best in helping out.

Quote:
Hey guys,

First of all, I would like to say that I praise myself to be a very cautious man, I had been patiently waiting for my vehicle to run for at least 2.000 miles under the most diverse and severe conditions before I even considered doing any modifications. (temperatures ranging between 18C-42C, dry/wet, highways with 8-gear eco/feet to floor, traffic jams).

Secondly, my vehicle's B58 engine ran all those miles mentioned above exclusively with 103 RON Premium Gas. It wasn't cheap but I don't mind spoiling my engine with the best that there is available as I DO expect a lot from her when I am feeling "The need for speed".

I can say with confidence, that I've gradually tested and pushed my vehicle and its engine to their limits , like a real test pilot that I am absolutely not, and God, this engine is really amazing.

Regardless of my great satisfaction, last week, my greedy side that knows there is a beast waiting to be unleashed kicked in and I've purchased the RaceChip GTS Black module. Received it two days later and installed it myself, did everything by the books and all went very well during all stages of the installation. Absolutely no errors. Sleek.

The App (for Android OS) on the other hand, is as buggy as it gets, can't seem to get it to function even with the uttermost support from the RaceChip authorized reseller while being guided in real time by the RaceChip's support team back in Germany.

RESULTS:
  1. Uninstalled the App and started using Manual Mode.
  2. RC Module was set manually to 7 (Race Mode).
  3. Went testing and felt absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between my vehicle in stock condition and with RC installed.
  4. I've contacted the seller, and they were kind and professional enough to immediately send me an entirely new RaceChip GTS Black kit (not just a new module).
  5. The new kit arrived 2 days later (yesterday), I've uninstalled the first RC kit fully and installed the new RC kit afterwards.
  6. Went testing under the same conditions, and AGAIN I've felt absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between my vehicle in stock condition and with the new RC kit installed.

The 30% overall power gain claims made by RaceChip GTS Black gives you really high expectations, after all, this is supposed to be their top-of-the-line, most aggressive product.

I'm really trying to accept the fact that maybe they've been exaggerating about what their product is really capable of, for commercial reasons, but feeling ABSOLUTELY NO GAIN after 30% power gain claims is quite disappointing.

I have two brand new RaceChip GTS Black kits in my garage right now and my feeling is to return both to them as soon as I can.

It is out of my jurisdiction, but I will try my best.
Can you email me the installation pictures and your serial numbers?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
chenry2354.50
      12-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
m340iguy
German Car Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Thank you for your tag.
I'll try my best in helping out.

It is out of my jurisdiction, but I will try my best.
Can you email me the installation pictures and your serial numbers?
Thank you very much for your help.

And yes, I can send you pictures. Please do keep in mind that I am in the middle of RaceChip's warranty process, the Brazilian Authorized RaceChip reseller is already in close contact with RaceChip's Support Team from Germany, so the best We can do right now is trade information, speculate and wait.

They've already cleared my first install from any errors and sent me a brand new one, which I've received on Friday. Because of the weekend, they've yet to be informed that the second one did not work as well, I'm pretty sure they will want to clear my second install before giving a final say on what the issue is.

What is on my mind right now:
  1. Could it be that a BMW remote software update bugged the functionality of the RaceChip module, preventing it to work on my car?
  2. Could it be that a bug in the Android App is capable of confusing the RaceChip module into being permanently off? Even if the App was not interacting with the module anymore?
  3. Could it be that the high Brazilian Summer average temperatures (90-105F) are interfering the RaceChip's module functionality?
  4. Could it be that I am a complete moron that can't really plug three A, B and C plugs correctly, twice?
  5. Could it be that RaceChip map can't handle Brazilian 103 RON so-called Ultra Premium Gas that can legally have up to 26% pure ethanol mixed in it and know-body ever checks it so my tank could be filled with literally anything right now, like 70% pure ethanol cause my M340i makes no more than 6 miles per gallon and the gas station owner loves me more than He loves the 12-cylinder Lamborghini guy?

Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
Pskinner21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i. 2020 SQ8

Could it be that race chip is garbage and claims of 30% power gains is trash? I would go more that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

So....

I had a Racechip Ultimate (the old one; before they launched the GT/GTS etc) on my B9 A4. When I installed it, it felt like it added power. But that was purely my butt dyno speaking. I did one run a long time ago and dragied my car at 13.5s to the quarter mile. The stock car did 13.6-13.7s. I thought a 0.1s difference was good (this was way back when I was uneducated about drag racing). Hell. I was so ignorant, I was pro-RC because of the negligible increase in power and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
I then drove my brother's B9 A5 with a JB4 a few months back. Holy hell. That car went like a bat out of a cave! It felt much faster than my 330i with a custom map 6! Unfortunately, I didn't have a dragy when he was here and couldn't time the car. I'm sure it was a sub-13s car since a friend has a stage 1 B9 A4 (with a JB4) and his car does 12.7-12.8s quarter miles easily. My 330i is faster now with the EWG connector but the way the A4/5 feels with a JB4 is totally different. That was when I realised that Racechip was pure garbage. And I paid like $700 for that shit. No way I'm going back to them ever again.

If you get a new Racechip that actually works, do let us know. I watch their YouTube channel nowadays and they apparently seem to have piggybacks that work, according to their dragy runs

And btw, if your tank has 70% ethanol and runs, it should actually be making more power than just petrol even though mileage is zilch.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
m340iguy
German Car Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
So....

I had a Racechip Ultimate (the old one; before they launched the GT/GTS etc) on my B9 A4. When I installed it, it felt like it added power. But that was purely my butt dyno speaking. I did one run a long time ago and dragied my car at 13.5s to the quarter mile. The stock car did 13.6-13.7s. I thought a 0.1s difference was good (this was way back when I was uneducated about drag racing). Hell. I was so ignorant, I was pro-RC because of the negligible increase in power and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
I then drove my brother's B9 A5 with a JB4 a few months back. Holy hell. That car went like a bat out of a cave! It felt much faster than my 330i with a custom map 6! Unfortunately, I didn't have a dragy when he was here and couldn't time the car. I'm sure it was a sub-13s car since a friend has a stage 1 B9 A4 (with a JB4) and his car does 12.7-12.8s quarter miles easily. My 330i is faster now with the EWG connector but the way the A4/5 feels with a JB4 is totally different. That was when I realised that Racechip was pure garbage. And I paid like $700 for that shit. No way I'm going back to them ever again.

If you get a new Racechip that actually works, do let us know. I watch their YouTube channel nowadays and they apparently seem to have piggybacks that work, according to their dragy runs

And btw, if your tank has 70% ethanol and runs, it should actually be making more power than just petrol even though mileage is zilch.
The most I can say at this point is that they really work as a company.

The local seller, the nationwide distributor and RaceChip's team in Germany are actively working on my problem.

Even thought They have yet to make their product work on my M340i, there is a truthful warranty process behind them. As soon as They realized my first installation was spotless, They've sent me an express shipment for a replacement unit, on warranty, the same day.

Unfortunately that did NOT work as well, but I can tell that they are really trying to solve the issue and also care about making me comfortable during all their attempts to diagnose and find a solution, They've done that by offering me a no questions asked money-back guarantee, if during any point I feel tired to work with them on testing and trying different things.

All the gas sold in Brazil is required by law to have at least 25% Ethanol, Regular Gas can have up to 35% ethanol and even the most expensive Ultra Premium Gas, the only one that I use, still can have up to 26% ethanol.

This do mean that We get more power from stock cars here than on anywhere else, maybe their M340i map is not really meant to work with Brazilian Ultra Premium E26 Gas that has 103 Octanes. There is data showing that more than 50% of all Gas sold in Brazil is unlawful adulterated somehow. Who knows how much Ethanol is actually in our Gas? I do, at least here in my town and at the moment, because I've recently tested the two ultra premium gas available at nearby gas stations, to find that Petrobras's 98 octane Podium Gas is E26 and Ipiranga's 103 octane OctaPro is E30 (which is actually illegal for ultra premium gas).

They both cost exactly the same price, U$5-6 per gallon depending on your location. OctaPro clearly gives you more power than Podium but on the other hand this blue nectar gets burned 10% faster by the B58 engine.

Can they really make it work?

I have not given up on them yet, We will see.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      12-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I do not doubt their customer care department. They are extremely responsive. I had to reach out to them a few times and they were quick to respond and help me out. Kudos to them for that.

I did read about bad experiences years ago people had with RC products, saying it didn't work and stuff. But I'm guessing it's not the same with their new line of products. I watch their YouTube channel and the dragy data they add helps. Along with Dyno runs. It's good to see they are doing all that to prove their product and try and bring back customers they might have lost years ago.

I hope RC works for you. I've subscribed to this thread
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
G333
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G81, M3 E92, Mini GP1, MX-5

With RaceChip be aware with engine warranty, they promote for GTS 2 year and up to 10.000 eur, but only for some countries.

If you live in other countries which are not on list (there are little and Brazil is not there) you can not claim engine warranty. That mean if something brake, because of more power is on your cost. BMW can detect that car operated in higher psi.

Anyway if your country is not on list you pay same as one which can claim engine warranty.
2007 Porsche Cayenne S 957
2006 Mini Cooper R53 JCW GP
Appreciate 0