Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Remote Start does not turn on heated seats/steering wheel?

01-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #111
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
330e on 07/2019.55

Precondition every morning, car is warm and windows are clear, heated steering wheel is on (and when I press the button nothing comes up on the screen but it goes cold shortly after, like someone else said earlier, and if it press it again it then says heating steering wheel activated so it must of been on) seats warm up but don't stay on when I turn the car on, I have to turn them back on, or rely on it being below 10deg c for the auto turn on.
Thanks for additional info Jkwon. However as confirmed earlier in this thread, the behavior of the 330e is decidedly different from other models. It has a completely different heating system and remote climatize routine than all other 3 series models. In an effort to stave off even more confusion, none of this is should be used as reference in the analysis/discussion of 330i and M340i remote functions.
Deleted my post to avoid confusion 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #112
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Deleted my post to avoid confusion 👍🏻
Haha very empathetic of you. As you can tell there is already an abundance of confusion in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #113
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

It was another cold one in Toronto this morning and gave a chance to check the remote start again. The car was completely snow covered and I didn't use a brush to clear off anything in the below pictures. You can obviously see the front and rear defrosters came on and did their job, the steering wheel heater was on, and (once again) I'm going to say that my heated seats were on. Most likely at the lowest setting. The seat bottom and back was warmish to the touch, and the side bolsters, head rest, and center arm rest were all very cold to the touch (leading me to believe that the seats are on). There's no way they just happen to be warming up in the center of the seats for no reason.

Also, something for the US folks here to check. If you try to shut off the engine after remote starting it through the app, do you get this message about "stop heating and cooling to your vehicle"?
Attached Images

01-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #114
Peter619
peter619
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 530i xDrive

Are you using the remote start on the FOB, or through an app? Because my car does not do what yours does when I use the remote start on the FOB...and unfortunately, the Connected Drive app has been bricked since the day I took delivery. I am waiting for the dealer to offer a fix.

When I remote start using the FOB, it just starts the engine. When I press the brake and start button, the seat heat comes on (I have it set for 45 degrees or less), and I have to manually press the steering wheel heat button.

If the app does what you show in these pictures, I definitely need to get that going because I want the car to totally defrost before I get inside......
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #115
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter619 View Post
Are you using the remote start on the FOB, or through an app? Because my car does not do what yours does when I use the remote start on the FOB...and unfortunately, the Connected Drive app has been bricked since the day I took delivery. I am waiting for the dealer to offer a fix.

When I remote start using the FOB, it just starts the engine. When I press the brake and start button, the seat heat comes on (I have it set for 45 degrees or less), and I have to manually press the steering wheel heat button.

If the app does what you show in these pictures, I definitely need to get that going because I want the car to totally defrost before I get inside......
He’s in Canada. And running the latest software. It doesn’t do what his does in my car. Just starts the engine and that’s it. Same from the fob and app. No difference.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #116
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

This is from the app, but I can try using the key fob next time to see if it's any different (I'm going to guess that it will react the same way).
      01-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #117
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
This is from the app, but I can try using the key fob next time to see if it's any different (I'm going to guess that it will react the same way).
Yeah I wondered about this as well. You would hope the fob would envoke the same climatize options as the app, but ya never know?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #118
Spec23
Private
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:

Your av is the face I make when I get in a car that has been running for 10 minutes and the seats are cold...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #119
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Just confirmed that using the key fob to remote start does the same as the app. Front and rear defrosters come on, cabin hvac starts, heated steering wheel comes on, and both driver and passenger heated seats come on.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #120
Peter619
peter619
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 530i xDrive

I'm confused. Why would being in Canada be a factor in how this all works? Why would it be different in the USA? I checked and I am running the latest iDrive software as well.....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #121
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused. Why would being in Canada be a factor in how this all works? Why would it be different in the USA? I checked and I am running the latest iDrive software as well.....
BMW will enable/disable certain features via software in order to adhere to different safety regulations per country/region. It's not certain that this is factoring in here, but the only way to explain the differences in behavior that some people are reporting is either software revision number, or difference in region/country programming.

By latest do you mean 11.2019.40? That's the latest I've seen reported by other users, and what I'm hoping to get installed next week when I take my car in.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #122
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
BMW will enable/disable certain features via software in order to adhere to different safety regulations per country/region. It's not certain that this is factoring in here, but the only way to explain the differences in behavior that some people are reporting is either software revision number, or difference in region/country programming.

By latest do you mean 11.2019.40? That's the latest I've seen reported by other users, and what I'm hoping to get installed next week when I take my car in.
As far as I'm concern, I know for a fact that Canada and the US share the same automotive rules in order to streamline trade relations and the folks that claim that that it's working is really mistaken.

Now hear me; I'm not saying they are intentionally lying, more like actually perceiving something that's nonexistent. But I digress..

Any physical indication that the heated features are actually active, upon remote start, other than a subjective feedback of it being "warm," would conclusively convince me of their claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #123
sonicflux
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As far as I'm concern, I know for a fact that Canada and the US share the same automotive rules in order to streamline trade relations and the folks that claim that that it's working is really mistaken.

Now hear me; I'm not saying they are intentionally lying, more like actually perceiving something that's nonexistent. But I digress..

Any physical indication that the heated features are actually active, upon remote start, other than a subjective feedback of it being "warm," would conclusively convince me of their claim.
Are you serious? Feeling that something is warm is absolutely a physical indication that it is, indeed, warm.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      01-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #124
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I'm not stupid, I know when something is working and when it's not. I've been working on and with cars (in the automotive production industry) for many many years. You can say I'm mistaken all you want, the fact remains that it is you who are mistaken when it comes to this car (in this market at least - I can't speak for the US). There is absolutely no way I could "mistaken" my windshield and rear defroster completely clearing ICE off, for "the car simply warming up because it's on". Same goes for the seats and steering wheel, although I can't send you a picture as proof. You'll just have to trust me (although you won't and I won't care either).

Also, how do you explain my pictures above? Are you trying to say that I am mistaken with the front and rear defroster as well? And if you concede to that, why is it so out of the realm of possibilities that the seats and steering wheel would heat up as well?

Last edited by Burrcold; 01-14-2020 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #125
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:

I'm not stupid, I know when something is working and when it's not. I've been working on and with (in the automotive production industry) for many many years. You can say I'm mistaken all you want, the fact remains that it is you who are mistaken when it comes to this car (in this market at least - I can't speak for the US). There is absolutely no way I could "mistaken" my windshield and rear defroster completely clearing ICE off, for "the car simply warming up because it's on". Same goes for the seats and steering wheel, although I can't send you a picture as proof. You'll just have to trust me (although you won't and I won't care either).
Relax, I'm trying to be diplomatic about it but all I'm saying is it would be nice to have some proof instead of just taking your word..

Why would the vehicle not indicate the heated steering is on, while it's active. It just seems off..

Let's just agree to disagree until we can get something conclusive to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #126
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Relax, I'm trying to be diplomatic about it but all I'm saying is it would be nice to have some proof instead of just taking your word..

Why would the vehicle not indicate the heated steering is on, while it's active. It just seems off..

Let's just agree to disagree until we can get something conclusive to confirm this.
So based on your theory of the interior lights having to be on for it to be working, how can you explain the very obvious pictures I posted with the front and rear defroster on and working, yet there is no light on the dash for those either? Would that defy logic as well?
      01-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #127
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is a remote climitization scenario, meaning you are not intended to be inside the vehicle when this is happening. A better question might be why would it indicate any of these functions are active if no one is in the car to see the indications? Even after you open the door and sit down, iDrive and other user interface features are dormant until you press the Start button to leave remote start mode.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      01-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #128
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is a remote climitization scenario, meaning you are not intended to be inside the vehicle when this is happening. A better question might be why would it indicate any of these functions are active if no one is in the car to see the indications? Even after you open the door and sit down, iDrive and other user interface features are dormant until you press the Start button to leave remote start mode.
There are other functions that remain illuminated, such as the fan speed, although there is no one is in the vehicle.

Why not the heater steering marker? A little Easter Egg?

Look, I just have my doubts but it's just opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #129
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are other functions that remain illuminated, such as the fan speed, although there is no one is in the vehicle.

So what about the front and rear defrost buttons not lighting up? You conveniently skipped my question.
      01-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #130
sonicflux
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M-Sport

Quote:

Why are you so intent on being a douchebag?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #131
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflux View Post
I wouldn't think that was so funny except that he simultaneously accuses other people of being hostile, when they're nowhere near as offensive...

Quote:
And it isn't the language barrier; the anonymity of the internet allows some folks to grow a little chest hair and act unnecessarily hostile; it's just par for the course
PROJECTION; noun
- the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects
especially: the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #132
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflux View Post
Quote:

Really? I know you are but what am I..

You must be a real childish person to get triggered by someone simply asking for proof..

Carry on with your delusion..
Appreciate 0