Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD or BM3 tune for M340i

02-21-2024, 10:39 AM   #23
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
We´re in the G20 forum so we should talk about the B58 and not the N54 ;-)
The B58 (Gen 1/2) OTS maps are developed by Fabian from Pureboost.
Okay, another third-party tuner, which only strengthens my argument

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 04:58 PM   #24
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

Pureboost boss for MHD and not BM3, two of my contact no answer of BM3 and its car bug in 1 and 2, it will remove, two example of people who have no answer of the service department of BM3, therefore to remake I would not pass any more by them I think
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 05:33 PM   #25
huzidada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021G21 M340 Xdive

Why is everyone going crazy on this forum? What are your tuning needs? Both companies make good products, see which eco system suits your budget more. However arguing over OTS maps is beyond childish. Both will be tuned to work on any , in this case, B58 Gen2. That means a super safe map.
Your main question should be, is OTS all you want? Or would you like to go custom? If that's the case, have you done research to see who you should go with? See what platform they use. It's really that easy. No need to complicate it and get into silly little disagreements on the net.

And yes if your ECU is pre 06/2020 then both MHD and Mission unlocked are useful if you don't have a tuner close by that can unlock. Anything post and its Femto so then having a unlocker becomes a moot point

Last edited by huzidada; 02-21-2024 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:26 PM   #26
imap777
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzidada View Post
Why is everyone going crazy on this forum? What are your tuning needs? Both companies make good products, see which eco system suits your budget more. However arguing over OTS maps is beyond childish. Both will be tuned to work on any , in this case, B58 Gen2. That means a super safe map.
Your main question should be, is OTS all you want? Or would you like to go custom? If that's the case, have you done research to see who you should go with? See what platform they use. It's really that easy. No need to complicate it and get into silly little disagreements on the net.

And yes if your ECU is pre 06/2020 then both MHD and Mission unlocked are useful if you don't have a tuner close by that can unlock. Anything post and its Femto so then having a unlocker becomes a moot point
^ Fair enough. The only reason I replied to some of the posts above (which I normally don't) - you don't go about promoting your products by trying to demote a competition. Especially with some subjective feelings shaped into a biased conclusion, yet state them as solid arguments against a buyer's decision. Just to sell a couple of licenses? Like, come on, there are better ways to promote your sales.

S58 OTS maps were developed in-house by MHD, and they do show good results. Some maps were developed by professional tuning companies, and not a bunch of software engineers as someone here tried to picture out for an audience

It's a matter of business decisions, which one can only speculate about if not involved.
Appreciate 1
baturbo47.50
      02-21-2024, 11:12 PM   #27
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

You can't go wrong with either. Both have been proven to be good.

I went with MHD after trying another tune which wasn't good.

MHD have been great, both as a product and the after-sales support has been very good. When I have had questions they are always there to answer. When I had an issue, that ended up not being related to the tune, they offered to remote login to the car to sort it out.

The tune itself is very good, very smooth, loads of power from normal fuel. I am certainly happy.

Bottom line any of the main companies, like MHD, BM3, Mission etc - you can't really go wrong in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:39 PM   #28
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

BM3 has bad customer service and I found their OTS maps to be lacking and inconsistent between version updates...

That being said, I was able to make a kick-ass self-tuned map from a stock editable map on BM3.

I would try MHD if you don't want to go down the route of self tuning.
Appreciate 1
Davg31110.00
      02-22-2024, 04:23 AM   #29
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
You can't go wrong with either. Both have been proven to be good.

I went with MHD after trying another tune which wasn't good.

MHD have been great, both as a product and the after-sales support has been very good. When I have had questions they are always there to answer. When I had an issue, that ended up not being related to the tune, they offered to remote login to the car to sort it out.

The tune itself is very good, very smooth, loads of power from normal fuel. I am certainly happy.

Bottom line any of the main companies, like MHD, BM3, Mission etc - you can't really go wrong in the end.

BM3 two of my friends of the group bmw g20 Belgium, have worries on B48 tries for several days/months to have a help and no answer, the two friends are going to uninstall and to pass at power concept so much they are disgusted, I do not know aps for America, but in Europe do not buy BM3 if you do not want to waste your money, I bought it on the council of Pure Turbo, and me no worries for the moment on B58, but that is frightening.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 12:13 PM   #30
huzidada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021G21 M340 Xdive

Quote:
Originally Posted by imap777 View Post
^ Fair enough. The only reason I replied to some of the posts above (which I normally don't) - you don't go about promoting your products by trying to demote a competition. Especially with some subjective feelings shaped into a biased conclusion, yet state them as solid arguments against a buyer's decision. Just to sell a couple of licenses? Like, come on, there are better ways to promote your sales.

S58 OTS maps were developed in-house by MHD, and they do show good results. Some maps were developed by professional tuning companies, and not a bunch of software engineers as someone here tried to picture out for an audience

It's a matter of business decisions, which one can only speculate about if not involved.
I understand what you are saying fully, I think I've also heard that at one stage many years ago, but it's simply not true anymore, and I know MHD has a lot of amazing stuff and customers that absolutely love and swear by them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:50 AM   #31
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
For more objective information, BM3 gets OTS tunes from HCP,
MHD gets tunes from best tuner for specific engine platform

Im not sure where this info about bm3 being tuners and MHD not being tuners is coming from, which is indeed wrong

With MHD you also can get MHD Unlocker so you unlock it yourself now and in future,
and customer service time is not limited to EST as support team works from different time zones

and, MHD has tuners on staff that help custom tuners with tuning questions

Also, keep in mind that with BM3, custom tunes go through BM3 server, that's why many good tuners avoid them as they don't want their work to be shared with tuning platform..

With MHD its direct from tuner to customer
Hi Levan,
If you're truly looking to be objective then you should stick to answering questions pertaining to MHD itself whom you work for as unfortunately you're spreading incorrect info at least in this post.

BM3 has released full offline tuning support almost a year ago that allows tuners to use it if they'd like. Here was our announcement on that feature along with full release of CustomROM across all GEN2 B58 and B48 software versions including those covered with Femto unlock:

Tunes certainly don't have to go through the cloud and its a thing of the past. However, due to convenience of not emailing files, datalogs, etc most tuners prefer using the cloud to deliver maps to their customers. It has significant advantages over using an archaic approach such as email where things can easily get lost/confused. In addition, cloud managed maps gain features such as version management that show changes to the tuner over time, not jsut at the file level but at the table level as well where they can selectively revert changes.

BM3 was the first tuning platform with cloud based features including user accounts that are social platform based which MHD later adopted. Ecutek adopted our approach to cloud map delivery with their Phone flash. We've been doing this since the very first release in 2016.

Lastly, as for HCP, Halim who's the owner of HCP, is an actual employee at bootmod3. We (BM3) have a 10,0000 sqft facility with a state of the art dyno room with an AWD Dynojet (424xLC2) where we test and refine all of our software and maps.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-26-2024 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #32
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
I was impressed by Mission as well. I will probably go with their tune this spring.

I’ve had BM3 and it worked well. I was not a fan of their customer service, so will not buy from them again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davg31 View Post
BMW also subcontracts its parts and the design of those if it does not prevent from being good ;=), idem for many company, if not to say almost all in the world, one can also speak about HJS etc, there is not the debate, BM3 has no after-sales service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_nick View Post
BM3 has bad customer service and I found their OTS maps to be lacking and inconsistent between version updates...

That being said, I was able to make a kick-ass self-tuned map from a stock editable map on BM3.

I would try MHD if you don't want to go down the route of self tuning.
Quote:
BM3 two of my friends of the group bmw g20 Belgium, have worries on B48 tries for several days/months to have a help and no answer, the two friends are going to uninstall and to pass at power concept so much they are disgusted, I do not know aps for America, but in Europe do not buy BM3 if you do not want to waste your money, I bought it on the council of Pure Turbo, and me no worries for the moment on B58, but that is frightening.
We take customer support, especially after-sales customer support, very seriously. We're the ONLY tuning company with a 30 days no questions asked guarantee on the software/tuning. Whatever the reason may be for dissatisfaction within those 4 weeks, we offer a 100% refund. We respond and provide support by reviewing datalogs, adjusting maps where deemed necessary, even for customers that have bought tunes years ago from us, without any additional costs.

In addition, since bm3 release in November 2016, there have been close to 170,000 support tickets open. Each ticket is an email to our sales or tech support and each of those tickets ends up getting anywhere from 4-5 to dozens of back/forth emails, often offering remote screen sharing sessions to make things easier in answering/dealing with whatever questions a customer may have. We respond Monday - Friday 9am-5pm EST and every ticket we receive is responded to same or next day outside of public holidays and weekends unless its one that requires additional work such as tuning updates/changes or updates to servers to add additional logging channels, table definitions, whatever it may be for a given support ticket.

Having said that, I find that we need to review who you are and your actual support ticket numbers to understand this better and discuss it here if you choose to do so. We're on these forums just as you are and do our best each and every day to make things go.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-26-2024 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 5
      02-26-2024, 11:18 AM   #33
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

proTUNING Freaks I even contacted you myself for him via your site, and never got an answer, his chassis is WBA71DY000FK23155 , unfortunately he had exceeded the 30 days, and then if no answer to the question, how to get reimbursed? the he removed and coded by a re programmer, I do not know the number of messages you receive, but I know that you have not responded to his and mine (but I admit I sent one on your site).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:13 PM   #34
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
proTUNING Freaks I even contacted you myself for him via your site, and never got an answer, his chassis is WBA71DY000FK23155 , unfortunately he had exceeded the 30 days, and then if no answer to the question, how to get reimbursed? the he removed and coded by a re programmer, I do not know the number of messages you receive, but I know that you have not responded to his and mine (but I admit I sent one on your site).
While that VIN is in our system (B48 engine vehicle activated Aug 22 2023), we don't have any tickets that have ever been created under that VIN on our tech support side or our sales support side meaning an email was never sent to support@protuningfreaks.com or sales@protuningfreaks.com, or was blocked by some spam/junk mail filter. We also don't have any emails from geekcorner.it@gmail.com which this VIN is registered under and we see all flashes have been successful including a number of datalogs.

How did you contact us for support as it wasn't through our standard support channels?
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2024, 04:04 PM   #35
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Via your website with a photo of the error message, the installation went without a hitch, but the car went into security. A second of my contacts has contacted you and has been waiting for an updated map for a week for the same thing, so he's also thinking of going to a coder. same motor and country
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:08 PM   #36
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Via your website with a photo of the error message, the installation went without a hitch, but the car went into security. A second of my contacts has contacted you and has been waiting for an updated map for a week for the same thing, so he's also thinking of going to a coder. same motor and country
We don't have any ticket at all under this VIN or email address registered to it. If there are other tickets/VINs that have some issue or question, please email support@protuningfreaks.com or open the ticket directly on our tech support portal here:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...tomer/portal/1

There's certainly never a need to go to any coder or anything of the sort.
Appreciate 2
Davg31110.00
cyam202.00
      02-26-2024, 06:39 PM   #37
ichigom340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: m340i

MHD for me, was able to buy everything I needed to do everything at home. Took minutes literally. I would definitely recommend.
Appreciate 1
cyam202.00
      03-01-2024, 08:57 PM   #38
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3 >>
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 10:46 PM   #39
Boostisfun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M340i Xdrive

I was originally here for the comments. BM3 helped me through a true headache without question or charge. I f'ed up big time. I sent my software level to them to create a file for Femto to unlock and later had my software updated before sending my DME to Femto. They were responsive and put me at ease that the problem could be fixed with the unlock file from Femto (which Femto provided to me). I haven't experienced any form or them being unresponsive or negligent.

For what it's worth, I'm tuned with a stage 2+ multi-map using their flex fuel sensor. I will post dyno and track numbers as I get them. But, wow. It's a huge difference and feels as smooth as an M3 delivery (there's a reason I know that...).
Appreciate 3
      03-11-2024, 11:54 PM   #40
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

FWIW, when I contacted David Shoup for a custom tune, he informed me that for custom tuning, MHD is far ahead of BM3. I get that a lot of the conversation is revolving around OTS's, but take that for what you will.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 01:02 PM   #41
Heck1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Garage List
I'm running on MHD currently have have 0 complaints. App is very user friendly and the OTS tunes are great. Stage 2 e40 + catless downpipe made 465whp/501tq on a mustang dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #42
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Can't go wrong with either BM3 or MHD tbh when it comes to OTS maps. For custom tuning, I heard MHD is the move.

Last edited by j2dad5389; 03-12-2024 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Can't go wrong with either BM3 or MHD tbh when it comes to OTS maps. For custom tuning, I heard MHD is the move.
For custom maps, it does not matter which tuner you get since you are not using their maps anyways.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:20 PM   #44
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
For custom maps, it does not matter which tuner you get since you are not using their maps anyways.
While this is totally valid, we can’t ignore the new MHD+ Reflex integration. No other platform has integration as advanced as this, and if people want to make big power, MHD is the way to go currently. (Until PTF finally releases their CANBUS integration board they’ve been blue-balling us with)
Appreciate 0