Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals M340i xDrive - Exhaust/Handling/Interior/Exterior Impressions and 50+ Photos

04-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

M340i xDrive - Exhaust/Handling/Interior/Exterior Impressions and 50+ Photos

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
4/19: Original delivery post with exhaust/ride impressions
4/20: Added a couple exterior photos
4/24: Added many exterior photos
5/2: 600 mile update with more handling/exhaust updates. Added interior, exterior and tech impressions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took delivery of my car today. It's a fully loaded M340xi (adaptive suspension and staggered wheels w/ performance RFT), except for the HP tire/cooling package.

For context, my previous car was a 340xi with base suspension and no MPPSK. I don't drive many different cars, so my opinions will largely be comparisons to the F30.

Photos

I recommend clicking into imgur instead of viewing the photos in the embedded viewer. They will be much higher resolution on imgur.com than the viewer.

4/20 photos (5 total):
View post on imgur.com

4/24 photos (50+ total)
View post on imgur.com

Exhaust
  • Noticeably louder than my 340i, with sharper and louder burbles. Burbles don't seem to follow any obvious pattern which is nice. Sometimes there are exhaust cracks/pops at 4k RPM that are as loud as the pops and cracks the F30 340i would make letting off at redline.
  • There are some really noticeable upshift "bark" sounds similar to the C43 AMG. The C43 is louder in that regard though. The barks onlly happen if you're above 4k RPM and giving a certain amount of throttle.
  • There's a noticeable increase in exhaust rumble at idle when you switch from comfort to sport plus (maybe you MPPKS folks are used to this, but I am not). This is not due to active sound, the sound increase is noticeable from outside the car.
  • Cold start sounds good. I have yet to see revs go above 2k on cold start.
  • Warm start is mildly loud but the revs die down immediately. It's more of a quick bark and then back to the normal 500-600 RPM near silence in comfort mode.
  • It's not exhaust but while we're talking about sound, the turbo is significantly louder than the F30 if you roll on the throttle around 2-3k RPMs. I can't wait to see what an aftermarket intake sounds like, but that's a couple months out at least given that this new powertrain just hit the road.
  • 5/2 update
  • At 600 miles the exhaust burbles are all over the place. Over a couple of days of driving on the same tank of gas and same outside temp, burbles varied wildly from muddy burbles like the F30 340i to more distinct percussive/banging sounds. It's kinda fun, never know what you're going to hear

Ride and Handling
  • I was surprised that comfort mode on the M340i (w/ adaptive suspension) is a better ride than an F30 with base suspension. It's incredibly smooth on a well paved highway. I drove over a rode I commute on everyday and bumps were still perceivable, but dampened slightly better than my F30.
  • I do most of my driving in sport mode and it did not feel overly stiff or harsh at any point.
  • I've seen other people that have picked up M340i's mention that it feels heavier. This is definitely true - I feel like it's the heavier steering in sport mode that gives me this impression though, not necessarily any handling deficits which I have yet to perceive.
  • It's worth noting that my F30 had whatever garbage stock runflats (Cinturato all seasons) they throw on 3 series, and my M340i come with staggered "performance RFT" which ended up being Pirelli P Zero RFTs (PZ4). I'm not sure if this is why I think comfort mode feels better in the M340i - the Pirellis are definitely a step up in runflat world, but I'm going to do things right this time around and buy Pilot Super Sports eventually.
  • 5/2 update
  • Brakes feel slightly better than the base F30 340i brakes. "Moderate" 80-30mph braking maneuvers (brake pedal depressed 60-70% to the floor) on the highway inspired more confidence than my last car.
  • This car makes my F30 340xi's handling seem like a joke. I roughly knew the handling limits of my F30. I can't touch the handling limits of this car on public roads and I'm not going to attempt to. Much less body roll and endless grip. There's a 180 degree onramp I take everday during my commute that is in bad shape with harshly bumps and dips. The M340i doesn't get nearly as upset on this surfaces as the F30 did.
  • I will be interested to hear from folks that picked up an M340i and had F30s with adaptive suspension, MPPSK and M sport brakes previously. I think that will be the more fair incremental comparison to make to see how much improvements BMW has actually made.

Interior
  • There's no longer a rotating switch for headlights, just a bunch of buttons. This is a huge regression ergonomics wise because you have to look down at the controls. Maybe over time you can build muscle memory but it's nowhere near as easy. You cannot turn headlights off while driving, which I imagine is the reason why it's no longer a rotating switch.
  • I went with the gloss wood finish. It looks good, and they didn't skimp on wood in the center console. I appreciate them having the wood flow across the entire passenger dash instead of only a third like they did in the X3.
  • The ambient lighting strips are seamlessly integrated into the dash - in some auto show photos it looks like someone glued a light strip to the dash. This is not the case. There is also ambient lighting at all 4 passenger floor areas, on the front/rear ceiling and in the door storage compartments.
  • Okay BMW, I know you want to subconsciously convince us to buy a 5 series but the LED strip cutting off halfway through the dash is just insulting. Same thing with the door LED strips - would it kill them to have the LED run the whole length of the aluminum housing? The colors look cool at night, but it would have looked cooler if they could have continue the strip from the dash directly across the door - looks disjointed at night as it is IMO.
  • Material wise there's still a bit of plastic in certain places - top of the door panel, the outside edges of the transmission tunnel and 2/3rds of the HVAC controls (the X5 and X7 even get nearly the same HVAC controls along with a bit of plastic, yikes...)
  • BMW has started sharing interior design and parts across various models, more so than before. The current gen X5, X7, 3 series and 8 series all use the same shifter/drive control layout, with slight variations in materials and buttons based on which model. The 3 series gets shafted here though - while the controls look good all filled up on an X5 or X7, there's just awkward plastic rectangles in the G20's drive controller. A step back from the nice flowing wood lines around the F30 iDrive controls IMO.
  • Stitching on the sensatec dash looks nice, but don't try to touch it because I can't distinguish it from the soft plastic on top of the door panels.
  • I have trouble directly perceiving the interior noise differences between the F30 and the G20. However, I have found myself accidentally going 10mph faster on the highway than I usually do in my F30. In the F30 I knew what amount of wind noise meant I need to back off a bit, but the fact I can't do that anymore clearly indicates this car has gotten quieter. There is a bit of a whistle from the driver side mirror at 80mph and above. It's not overly loud but pretty noticeable because I remember hearing the same whistling sound when I first test drove a G20 330i on the highway.

Exterior
  • Lexus wishes they had taillights that look this cool. The 3D shape adds a really nice sculpted look to the back of the car when viewing from the side at different angles.
  • As others have mentioned, cerium gray is a dirt magnet. I like the matte color much more than a gloss surface but if you're within 5 feet of it you can see every molecule of dirt that is on it
  • All of the vents on the front of the car are functional. There are two cooling channels in each of the front wheel wells.
  • The looks have grown on me from all angles. I think my favorite angle is viewing the front of the car straight on from about 5-6 feet away. There's one bad angle though, due to the...
  • The fake exhaust tips. Oh man I could write an essay on how horrific those are. It's why
    View post on imgur.com
    is the worst angle of the car IMO. It's not quite as egregious as some of the things Audi and Mercedes are doing but it's not a good look. Props to BMW for making the bumper exhaust tips at least look like they are separate from the bumper though. I think the exhaust "tips" actually look really good when you're not looking straight on at the back end and the fakery is not apparent.

Technology
  • I used the backup assistant twice. The first time I bailed because it looked like it was cutting the wheel too much in a very tight driveway. The second time I tried on the same driveway (very slowly) it succeeded.
  • Driving assistant pro package works well. I've seen it handle long curved stretches of highway (requiring ~20 degrees of steering angle) without issue for miles. Once you hit the indicator it stops detecting lanes and it's up to you to switch the lanes. Once you're in a new lane it locks it in again. Disclaimer: I've only tried this feature it on well maintained toll roads with very clear markings. It works well in this application.
  • The top-down view from the 4 cameras is insane. It turns parking into a video game.
  • Lane departure warning with the steering wheel correction can go die in a hole. The fact I have to keep turning it off is very annoying.

Last edited by RPM1123; 05-03-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 21
praxis218823.50
Mii387.50
DZ F30300.50
xlover2191.00
Junni88.00
BigSky702687.00
clee1982796.00
BMW11278.00
otay826.00
Jenya B144.00
stein_325i25051.00
      04-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Thanks for your impressions of the exhaust. Is it still possible to do the exhaust flap mod where you unplug one of the connectors when the flap is open so it's loud all the time?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Thanks for your impressions of the exhaust. Is it still possible to do the exhaust flap mod where you unplug one of the connectors when the flap is open so it's loud all the time?
This is also on my list to check out. The part diagram for the M340i exhaust system makes it look possible.
Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50
      04-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123 View Post
Took delivery of my car today. It's a fully loaded M340xi, except for the HP tire/cooling package. I plan on doing a full writeup once I get a couple hundred miles on the car. Don't want to push handling before the tires/brakes are broken in. Until then, some random thoughts about exhaust and ride quality.

It was dark by the time I drove off with the car so I did not get any good photos. Next time Boston gets a sunny day I plan on getting my camera out and taking a bunch of photos. If anyone has any requests let me know.

For context, my previous car was a 340xi with base suspension and no MPPSK.

Exhaust
  • Noticeably louder than my 340i, with sharper and louder burbles. Burbles don't seem to follow any obvious pattern which is nice.
  • Sometimes there are exhaust cracks/pops at 4k RPM that are as loud as the pops and cracks the F30 340i would make letting off at redline.
  • There are some really noticeable upshift "bark" sounds similar to the C43 AMG. I think the C43 might be slightly louder in that regard though. The barks onlly happen if you're above 4k RPM and giving a certain amount of throttle.
  • There's a noticeable increase in exhaust rumble at idle when you switch from comfort to sport plus (maybe you MPPKS folks are used to this, but I am not). This is not due to active sound, the sound increase is noticeable from outside the car.
  • Warm start is not that loud. It will burble slightly sometimes. I have not done a cold start yet since I've been driving the car nonstop since I picked it up.

Ride quality
  • I was surprised that comfort mode on the M340i (w/ adaptive suspension) is a better ride than an F30 with base suspension. It's incredibly smooth on a well paved highway. I drove over a rode I commute on everyday and bumps were still perceivable, but dampened slightly better than my F30.
  • I did most of my driving tonight in sport mode and it did not feel overly stiff or harsh at any point.
  • It's worth noting that my F30 had whatever garbage stock runflats (Cinturato all seasons) they throw on 3 series, and my M340i come with staggered "performance RFT" which ended up being Pirelli P Zero RFTs (PZ4). I'm not sure if this is why I think comfort mode feels better in the M340i - the Pirellis are definitely a step up in runflat world, but I'm going to do things right this time around and buy Pilot Super Sports eventually.
Are you going to get the non-RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Yes I have a request do you mind sharing what you opted for all packages ... I'm debating how to configure the car and besides the Prm package I see no real value ... as I can park the car myself, drive it in traffic, and also reach out to the volume knob if needed post pics too
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Nice write up
      04-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Bigface
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 e40

Excellent comparison! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Took delivery of my car today. It's a fully loaded M340xi, except for the HP tire/cooling package. I plan on doing a full writeup once I get a couple hundred miles on the car. Don't want to push handling before the tires/brakes are broken in. Until then, some random thoughts about exhaust and ride quality.

It was dark by the time I drove off with the car so I did not get any good photos. Next time Boston gets a sunny day I plan on getting my camera out and taking a bunch of photos. If anyone has any requests let me know.

For context, my previous car was a 340xi with base suspension and no MPPSK.

Exhaust
  • Noticeably louder than my 340i, with sharper and louder burbles. Burbles don't seem to follow any obvious pattern which is nice.
  • Sometimes there are exhaust cracks/pops at 4k RPM that are as loud as the pops and cracks the F30 340i would make letting off at redline.
  • There are some really noticeable upshift "bark" sounds similar to the C43 AMG. I think the C43 might be slightly louder in that regard though. The barks onlly happen if you're above 4k RPM and giving a certain amount of throttle.
  • Warm start is not that loud. It will burble slightly sometimes. I have not done a cold start yet since I've been driving the car nonstop since I picked it up.

Ride quality
  • I did most of my driving tonight in sport mode and it did not feel overly stiff or harsh at any point.
Dude I saw your car out in front of herb while walking and then driving on comm right after yesterday! It looked amazing. I loved your color selection def my favorite! Congrats!

I will also add an outside the car from the street perspective on the exhaust it is definitely present. Significantly louder for sure than any stock 340. Somewhat comparable to a MPPSK car but I would need to hear them back to back for direct comparison. It is definitely in the ballpark
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Dude I saw your car out in front of herb while walking and then driving on comm right after yesterday! It looked amazing. I loved your color selection def my favorite! Congrats!

I will also add an outside the car from the street perspective on the exhaust it is definitely present. Significantly louder for sure than any stock 340. Somewhat comparable to a MPPSK car but I would need to hear them back to back for direct comparison. It is definitely in the ballpark
Thanks! That's funny, I was wondering if anyone on the forums would end up spotting the car. I was told it was the first M340i they've sold, and the color isn't exactly under the radar I was just DMing another person from Boston, maybe this calls for a meetup eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Yes I have a request do you mind sharing what you opted for all packages ... I'm debating how to configure the car and besides the Prm package I see no real value ... as I can park the car myself, drive it in traffic, and also reach out to the volume knob if needed post pics too
I checked every box except for the tire/cooling package.

Some random opinions I've formed over the last 24 hours about the options I picked:
  • I don't see myself using the gesture controls. I tried the volume increase motion and it's a lot less sensitive than I thought - I had to spin my finger 4-5 times to accomplish a volume increase that a physical knob could do in a split second. That interaction with the system alone made me completely disinterested in learning more motions.
  • The parking sensors/cameras are awesome, especially in the city. highly recommend if you drive/park in treacherous areas often. I have not tried the backup or parking assistant yet so cannot comment on how well that works.
  • I will need more time with the driving assistance pro package before I can determine if it was worth it or not. It did well on a well-marked curved highway for about 2 miles, but kept telling me to put my hands on the wheel which I didn't think was a requirement.
  • Power tailgate was a mistake - I added that option with the hope that you could close the trunk remotely via the app or key but that doesn't appear to be the case. It requires a lot more force to open/close the trunk with your hands because of the motor. I might look into removing the motor if that will decrease resistance.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
So it seems like they did the exhaust design and programming for the m340 like they did for mppsk (and a bunch of other recent m performance and M model bmws) where it operates like a true dual mode exhaust. in sport/sport+ flaps are always open and comfort/eco flaps closed. I will say from experience the Mppsk drones a bit on the highway flaps open but on the other hand has a really nice idle burble flaps open so the ability to switch on/off is pretty welcome feature
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very informative write up. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
...It requires a lot more force to open/close the trunk with your hands because of the motor. I might look into removing the motor if that will decrease resistance.[/LIST]
Am I missing something, isn't the point of power tailgate to open\close without hands ?

Do you kick underneath car to open, then press button to close?

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Am I missing something, isn't the point of power tailgate to open\close without hands ?

Do you kick underneath car to open, then press button to close?
You're correct. I'm a 6'2" dude though. It looks silly when I need to press a button to close my trunk. I only bought it with the hope it would be possible to close the trunk remotely. Otherwise I was planning on opening/closing the trunk the old fashioned way.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #15
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
Are you going to get the non-RFT's?
I will eventually. I'm going to give these "performance" RFTs a chance, but once the tread is 70-80% done I'll take them off and put them back on at lease end.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
You're correct. I'm a 6'2" dude though. It looks silly when I need to press a button to close my trunk. I only bought it with the hope it would be possible to close the trunk remotely. Otherwise I was planning on opening/closing the trunk the old fashioned way.
LOL! Got it... I was always envious of my wife's lexus which has the button to close... I can open my M4 by kicking underneath, but had to close by hand, which was a pain when pulling bags out of the trunk, or if I just had it washed...

I'm about 6'2' ish, how is the seating? I'm afraid it's going to be somewhat snug, the S4 I tested was okay, but NO room in the seat behind me. Maybe I should have waited for the coupe.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #17
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
LOL! Got it... I was always envious of my wife's lexus which has the button to close... I can open my M4 by kicking underneath, but had to close by hand, which was a pain when pulling bags out of the trunk, or if I just had it washed...

I'm about 6'2' ish, how is the seating? I'm afraid it's going to be somewhat snug, the S4 I tested was okay, but NO room in the seat behind me. Maybe I should have waited for the coupe.
Im 6'2 and there is enough room for me to sit comfy behind my driving position. Its a bit more room than a F30.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Woah!!! Your not supposed to push on it if there's a motor you can ruin the electric trunk motor.... that's why there's resistance!! Just click the button and walk away
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      04-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #19
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Spec of car please?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #20
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Spec of car please?
Portimao blue/cognac interior. Fully loaded except for the HP tire package. Adaptive suspension and option 1PL wheels (19 inch staggered rims and performance runflat tires).
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      04-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone, just added some photos. Still planning on taking more next time we get a nice bright day here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #22
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Some more questions:

1) How much purple hue does Portimao have in various lighting?
2) When the DRL is lit up does the blue accent in the middle light up blue at all?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0