BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #23
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Friggin so awesome! Congrats.
      03-25-2024, 08:47 PM   #24
vranko
Rep
Drives: A90 Supra, BMW m235, Cayman

Great seeing you back on track this weekend BoB!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:26 PM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

OP, it is common practice at the track to deflate your tires prior to a session. If you aim for let’s say 34PSI hot, you need to start below 30 at least on the first session, maybe even lower than 28.

First couple of laps be moderate, the temps and pressures will shoot up as you’ve noticed, except now your in the sweet spot for the tires.

Next time, come with a faster group. PCA can be a bit speed-challenged.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 01:27 AM   #26
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OP, it is common practice at the track to deflate your tires prior to a session. If you aim for let’s say 34PSI hot, you need to start below 30 at least on the first session, maybe even lower than 28.

First couple of laps be moderate, the temps and pressures will shoot up as you’ve noticed, except now your in the sweet spot for the tires.

Next time, come with a faster group. PCA can be a bit speed-challenged.
Thank you for the tip on tires.

I will be at the May event of NCC
      03-26-2024, 04:08 AM   #27
TopM
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 M35i

A great read thanks for sharing.
You have a beast of a car 😈
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 05:21 AM   #28
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Great to see these cars out being used and enjoyed!
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 05:59 AM   #29
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

always better than cars & coffee, even if you're just observing.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2024, 06:31 AM   #30
Scott_56
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Nice explanation
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 06:38 AM   #31
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Nice read! I think with a few more track days and more experience you’ll have less issues with the tires. Did you change out the brake fluid or were you not pushing the car hard enough to need it yet?

You really need a couple of good warmup laps at those temps to get any sort of heat in the tires…40 degrees is pretty cold especially in the damp.

Did you run with DSC fully on? (I’m assuming yes)

Enjoy the car, I can’t wait to get out this spring in mine. (Not a CS, lowly ‘24 M4 Comp X-drive)
      03-26-2024, 08:04 AM   #32
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
Brakes - Phenomenal, just phenomenal! On the straights and particularly under braking I would close the gap I lost in the in-field to other cars. The consistency of the brakes were superb. There was never a hint of fade, degradation or worry about the brakes.
That's awesome, looks like you were having a blast!

I didn't see you specify - do you have M Compound or CCB brakes?
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 08:16 AM   #33
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Michelin Sport Cup 2s are a must for track. You shall immediately feel the difference in the grip.

BMW Star PS4S vs. OE Cup 2 there is no comparison eventhough Star may have some Cup2 compound mix.

Cup 2 are the ultimate track tire in Michelin Product line.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 09:02 AM   #34
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
always better than cars & coffee, even if you're just observing.
Absolutely right!

I had a Yeti cup full of French Roast for my one-hour drive to the track, then there were plenty of coffee at the track. We had our fill talking about and examining the cars under the rain with our hot coffees in hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Nice read! I think with a few more track days and more experience you’ll have less issues with the tires. Did you change out the brake fluid or were you not pushing the car hard enough to need it yet?

You really need a couple of good warmup laps at those temps to get any sort of heat in the tires…40 degrees is pretty cold especially in the damp.

Did you run with DSC fully on? (I’m assuming yes)

Enjoy the car, I can’t wait to get out this spring in mine. (Not a CS, lowly ‘24 M4 Comp X-drive)
Thank you!
I was pushing the car to my limit, which is way lower than its limits

I was in MDM mode. I use RBF660 fluid along with Pagid RS29 pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
That's awesome, looks like you were having a blast!

I didn't see you specify - do you have M Compound or CCB brakes?
Thank you! Yes, it was so much fun. Now I have to, somehow, get through the emptiness between track events, haha. Next one is in six weeeks.

M Compound, not CCBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
Michelin Sport Cup 2s are a must for track. You shall immediately feel the difference in the grip.

BMW Star PS4S vs. OE Cup 2 there is no comparison eventhough Star may have some Cup2 compound mix.

Cup 2 are the ultimate track tire in Michelin Product line.
Cup2s are definitely on my list; however, several Porsche guys were not very complimentary of them, they seem to prefer RE71RS or Advan 0052 type tires. Talking to the BMW guys, they recommended GoodYear Super something 3, which I will check out as well. I walked around the paddock checking tires of various cars, besides many slick tires, preferences varied a lot, I did not see a lot consistency. I think that is a good thing, there must be many choices out there. I am also wondering about the Nankang CRS tires. Next event will be with the BMW club, I'll talk with that group as well.
      03-26-2024, 09:16 AM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely right!

I had a Yeti cup full of French Roast for my one-hour drive to the track, then there were plenty of coffee at the track. We had our fill talking about and examining the cars under the rain with our hot coffees in hand

Thank you!
I was pushing the car to my limit, which is way lower than its limits

I was in MDM mode. I use RBF660 fluid along with Pagid RS29 pads.

Thank you! Yes, it was so much fun. Now I have to, somehow, get through the emptiness between track events, haha. Next one is in six weeeks.

M Compound, not CCBs.

Cup2s are definitely on my list; however, several Porsche guys were not very complimentary of them, they seem to prefer RE71RS or Advan 0052 type tires. Talking to the BMW guys, they recommended GoodYear Super something 3, which I will check out as well. I walked around the paddock checking tires of various cars, besides many slick tires, preferences varied a lot, I did not see a lot consistency. I think that is a good thing, there must be many choices out there. I am also wondering about the Nankang CRS tires. Next event will be with the BMW club, I'll talk with that group as well.
RE71RS is a very good choice, much better than the Yoko 052. I’d say the Yoko 052 are a 2-lap time attack tire, after which they will fade. I also only got 4 days out of them. RE’s are much more consistent during the session, and more durable. Win-win IMO.

The CRS V2 is now the hot commodity, since some racing series have adopted them as the standard tire (Spec Corvette for instance). Faster than the RE but even better consistency. But there is something going on with stock, NHTSA (?) had a large shipment returned back to the manufacturer (China), reasons unknown, so certain sizes will be back in stock in June apparently. Definitely worth checking a few suppliers if you can get your size.

There are also some new Contis, Extreme Contact Force, supposed to be an endurance compound which sounds promising for durability.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 09:19 AM   #36
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Skip the Cup 2s as they're street tires that aren't great in the rain. Cup 2Rs are a bit better but necessarily for the price.

RE71RS is a fast tire, but probably not a great choice for developing drivers. I'd prefer an endurance focused tire for consistency, but don't think there are any options for our cars unless you're going for non-stock sizes.

While it's not the fastest option, the BMW spec Pirelli P Zero tire is great on track for the price if you're getting take offs. I go through about two sets a summer.
      03-26-2024, 09:23 AM   #37
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

OP forgot to say since you are local - if you aren’t already in touch with RRT (Road Racing Technologies) of Dulles, I recommend them highly. They do all my track preparation and know BMWs very well. Your yearly routine should include a track-focused alignment and brake flush (alignment gets knocked out of spec after awhile, so this will prevent strange tire wear from developing).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 09:33 AM   #38
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Skip the Cup 2s as they're street tires that aren't great in the rain. Cup 2Rs are a bit better but necessarily for the price.

RE71RS is a fast tire, but probably not a great choice for developing drivers. I'd prefer an endurance focused tire for consistency, but don't think there are any options for our cars unless you're going for non-stock sizes.

While it's not the fastest option, the BMW spec Pirelli P Zero tire is great on track for the price if you're getting take offs. I go through about two sets a summer.
I really appreciate the guidance, thank you. I don't think I am ready for R-comps, so the Cup2Rs would be a bit too much for me. I think I need tires that I do not need to change before/after events, use them daily, four seasons and have tires that would not go to 45 psi during a session

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OP forgot to say since you are local - if you aren’t already in touch with RRT (Road Racing Technologies) of Dulles, I recommend them highly. They do all my track preparation and know BMWs very well. Your yearly routine should include a track-focused alignment and brake flush (alignment gets knocked out of spec after awhile, so this will prevent strange tire wear from developing).
Yes, I know about RRT, they are really great I hear. They are a bit far away from me though.

I had the car aligned before the event. I called several shops around, including RRT, and none would do the alignment either with weight on the seat or while I am sitting in the car. I finally found a local shop that agreed, so I had it done there. I sat in the car and had great chat with the owner, who was from Columbia and huge racing fan Interestingly, after the alignment, he said "you know, it is great you are taking this car to the track, but just know that your tires will give you issues."

I hope we'll get to meet during one of the events, would love to chat more. I am constantly monitoring Discord now haha, some really fun stuff.
      03-26-2024, 10:54 AM   #39
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a great write up! Enjoyed reading and being a virtual passenger. Awesome car by the way.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 01:00 PM   #40
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

I assume you have the steel brakes… ceramics hold up better. Pick up a set of the sport cup 2 ⭐️version for the oem sizes. I tracked with both and the sport cup 2 is a huge improvement.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2024, 01:18 PM   #41
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Nice write-up…..sounds like she is pretty forgiving for novices which is a good thing.

The more power than grip sounds like ///M3s/4s since the F80 which I have found means less balance.

Glad you are using her!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 03:13 PM   #42
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Ace write up, good effort.

I’m at my first full track day on Sunday, I have PS4s on just now and will likely leave them as its 3degC and wet so no point putting the Cup 2s on.

What M settings did you find that you used most? Im keen to learn what brake and steering mode you used; I’m thinking sport breaking seems to off/on for me

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 03:29 PM   #43
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Ace write up, good effort.

I’m at my first full track day on Sunday, I have PS4s on just now and will likely leave them as its 3degC and wet so no point putting the Cup 2s on.

What M settings did you find that you used most? Im keen to see learn what brake and steering mode you used; I’m thinking sport breaking seems to off/on for me

Cheers
Thank you! I hope you have a great time, I am sure you will

I was using the Sport for steering, and it felt fine to me. The instructor suggested I use the Normal setting. I did not feel anything different frankly, it was a non-issue either way.

I experimented with Normal setting for brakes initially, then I tried Sport for the sake of trying, and it felt much better. The 'better' part wasn't about how applied the braking, but more during the release of the brakes. I was much smoother releasing the brakes, but I cannot say why that was the case. So, I left it in Sport afterwards.

Other M settings that worked really well for me were:
- Engine: Sport
- Suspension: Sport+
- Trans: S3
- MDM
- AWD Sport

As I mention in my write up, there is much I can write on the tyres, and I did not for the sake of not boring everyone. One thing I can mention about my PS4S experience is that how the tyres behaviour changed depending on the initial 4-5 miles of heat build up. If I pushed the tires a bit too early, they did not do well throughout the whole session. If I took my time, stayed patient, then they performed at an acceptable range.

That initial heat build up, btw, wasn't during the corners, but under braking. If I used all of the braking available too early, the tyre would shoot up in temp, which you don't realize because the screen only updates once per minute, I believe. That rapid build up, screwed 2 sessions for me, until I figure it out. So, I used about 70-80% of the braking for the first two laps, then went on as usual.

Best of luck to you.
ando2000.50
      03-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #44
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Thanks for sharing the video. Always love to see the cars in their natural habitat. Looks like all that power resulted in betting point bys at the end of the long straight and never being able to get fully back over to the left so you could open up that next corner. Always looked pinched and tight. Keep having fun!!!

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 1