Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance - M-Link Install and Review

08-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #23
ami2fst4u
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW M340i

Looking forward to using this hardware interface. Certainly will make updates a lot easier for us pre July 2020 owners.

Are shipments expecting to commence this week? I received tracking information a few days ago and the order is still at pre-shipment.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #24
EM340EYE
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
Thats actually a tricky production date. 99% of July 20 production vehicles had DMEs with production way before the cutoff as BMW was using old stock. However, we did see 1 vehicle with such production and newer DME. We are not sure if it was intenional at the assembly, or DME was repalced under warranty for some reason. However, with that being said, it would be very prudent to pull the DME up and look at the sticker to check the production date. You can send us the picture of the white sticker on the DME and we can tell you if its unlockable or not.
Huge help, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:14 PM   #25
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM340EYE View Post
Huge help, thank you!
Ofcourse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami2fst4u View Post
Looking forward to using this hardware interface. Certainly will make updates a lot easier for us pre July 2020 owners.

Are shipments expecting to commence this week? I received tracking information a few days ago and the order is still at pre-shipment.
Yep, shipment has resumed for now, though still low on stock. However, all orders placed up-to now have been shipped. I just checekd your order and it shows that it was accepted by USPS and should be there on the 19th.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #26
ami2fst4u
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW M340i

Quote:
Yep, shipment has resumed for now, though still low on stock. However, all orders placed up-to now have been shipped. I just checekd your order and it shows that it was accepted by USPS and should be there on the 19th.
Thanks, I too just saw the update come through on USPS.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #27
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Has anyone actually taking the car into a dealership after using this device and restoring back to their back up and verify that the dealership could not determine that the car has been tuned in between??

It’s almost sounds too good to be true.

I don’t know enough about the process to weigh in, which is why I am asking for input.

I am assuming if someone makes a backup of their car using this device is there someway that that back up has a date and time installed along with it so that if I do a back up and then I flash my car with an aftermarket tune , drive it around for six months and then I have to go into the dealership for warranty service when I flash back to the original copy that I made with this device is it going to reflect that the data and date seem to be unusually backdated and the dealership is going to wonder what the fuck has been going on for the last six months and then deny a warranty claim ??

Or maybe there is no date and time associated with the data and they can’t tell …but given how digitized these cars are it makes me wonder if and when you re-flashback, perhaps there’s no evidence of the tune, but there’s some other evidence that the ECU has been manipulated which would be all the dealership might rely upon to deny a big claim.

I’m thinking of a scenario where you use this device back up your ECU, and then installing aftermarket tune and later have engine failure … when you go into the dealership and they are faced with a repair closing in on 50 grand ..they will start digging deep into the car’s computer and there’s maybe still some little “cookie crumbs” that they will uncover that this device cannot get rid of.???

If this device can successfully avoid that scenario, I am all in as I would love to tune my car, but I am skeptical the device like this can 100% guarantee that the dealership in the face of catastrophic engine failure would not be able to figure out that someone did funny business with the ECU

Thoughts??
Appreciate 1
kai201.50
      09-06-2023, 03:05 PM   #28
joeyjoejoejr
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i and 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
TheJungatron Thanks for your review, that is very much appreciated! Funny that you mentioned the confirmation message after unlock: That is something a few others suggested and is currently being worked on. Should be added to the withe 2.1.4 or 2.1.6 update and will make a post-unlock messaging be much more prominent and assertive.

Regarding the plugs: We are looking for a better way to mark them, however we are using the OEM connectors which limits the color choices to black. The red harness ziptie was added to make it a bit more distinguishable, though still a bit hard to see. That is something being looked into but no promisses. However, each plug and connector are unique to each other, which means it is not possbile (aside from hammering them in) to place a wrong plug on the DME terminal.
Can you link to your directions? There was nothing in the box but the device when I received mine and the link on your site just displays the same info as the webstore.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #29
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
Can you link to your directions? There was nothing in the box but the device when I received mine and the link on your site just displays the same info as the webstore.
They are typically really fast to respond via email or phone but that said here is the link that I used for the install/user manual

https://missiontuning.atlassian.net/.../688383/M-Link
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #30
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

OK ... I'm going to go ahead and just throw this out there. I was hoping the licensing add-on's would be closer to the $100 6 cyl versus 8 cyl uplift. I'm seeing $300 per DME and I realize there are some bulk discounts but it makes it slightly less attractive versus paying someone else to bench unlock unless you KNOW you're going to need the repetitive unlocking. I think $100-150 would have been a fair price for add-on licenses or find a way to bundle that with your flash tuning when it gets released since folks are going to need an unlock most likely and that's a way to secure the tuning business as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2023, 04:45 PM   #31
bmwdonut
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Thats actually a good idea and factory plugs do have colored electrical tape on them that falls off few years in, however we probably could match same colors with the shrinkwrap.

Thats actually a tricky production date. 99% of July 20 production vehicles had DMEs with production way before the cutoff as BMW was using old stock. However, we did see 1 vehicle with such production and newer DME. We are not sure if it was intenional at the assembly, or DME was repalced under warranty for some reason. However, with that being said, it would be very prudent to pull the DME up and look at the sticker to check the production date. You can send us the picture of the white sticker on the DME and we can tell you if its unlockable or not.

I received my M-Link last night for my B46 engine but I'm having issues with it connecting to my DME when I click start on Mlink.local. Any advice on how I can remedy that?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #32
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I hope this thread is the right place for tech support questions.

I ordered my M-Link late last week and received it today. Thank you for the fast shipping! When I powered it up I saw that it had firmware version 2.2.1. As a matter of course I always update firmware whenever I receive a product but when I did so the "new" version is now 2.1.5. Do I have the latest version, or is there something I need to do in order to restore 2.2.1?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 08:33 PM   #33
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdonut View Post
I received my M-Link last night for my B46 engine but I'm having issues with it connecting to my DME when I click start on Mlink.local. Any advice on how I can remedy that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I hope this thread is the right place for tech support questions.I ordered my M-Link late last week and received it today. Thank you for the fast shipping! When I powered it up I saw that it had firmware version 2.2.1. As a matter of course I always update firmware whenever I receive a product but when I did so the "new" version is now 2.1.5. Do I have the latest version, or is there something I need to do in order to restore 2.2.1?Thanks!
For what it's worth

I would say to contact them directly, I have had nothing but great support and info from them directly either email or even over the phone. And fast turn around

As for firmware I know a multi-license option was just announced I’m wondering if this impacted the version. I’m on 2.1.5 but only have single unlock license

Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:54 AM   #34
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I hope this thread is the right place for tech support questions.

I ordered my M-Link late last week and received it today. Thank you for the fast shipping! When I powered it up I saw that it had firmware version 2.2.1. As a matter of course I always update firmware whenever I receive a product but when I did so the "new" version is now 2.1.5. Do I have the latest version, or is there something I need to do in order to restore 2.2.1?

Thanks!

Forums is something we check as time permits, so actual technical, sales or after sales questions are much better handled by calling us during business hours or sending email to either sales or support@missiontuning.com

With that being said, there is no way for us to pull your order info using your forums screen-name, however 2.2.1 version is the new firwmare that allows for multi-license operation. That version is not posted on the guide yet as it requires license transistions for exisitng customers on 2.1.5 (and below) firmware which will be addressed end of the month. So if you already have the 2.2.1, you are lucky owner of the newest firmware device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdonut View Post
Please reach out to us (email is prived in resposne above) as forums are not a place for troubleshooting. However, in the past, UI saying Timeout on connection screen has been caused by bad power supply that is being used on the device. Users have reported switching to different power supplies and having this issue go away.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #35
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
OK ... I'm going to go ahead and just throw this out there. I was hoping the licensing add-on's would be closer to the $100 6 cyl versus 8 cyl uplift. I'm seeing $300 per DME and I realize there are some bulk discounts but it makes it slightly less attractive versus paying someone else to bench unlock unless you KNOW you're going to need the repetitive unlocking. I think $100-150 would have been a fair price for add-on licenses or find a way to bundle that with your flash tuning when it gets released since folks are going to need an unlock most likely and that's a way to secure the tuning business as well.
That is fair comment however, it is worth mentioning that the price strcuture is there in such a way to play fair with our dealers. If the end-user license pricing is that low, then any one can and will buy the devices and run their unlock service company, conflicting with our dealer agreements. The way its priced now is for those that actually own multiple cars and looking for convinience of having everything "under one roof", though we have adjusted the pricing slightly for multi-licenses options.
Sicne the day M-link was released, we already had discounts for those buying both the M-link and flash tuning at the same time. Those who pruchased both saw that discount applied at the cehckout, however yes I think it its predent to get the main post updated to mention that. That will be done once the new multi-license firmware is officially relased as upgrade path for older devices.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #36
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
That is fair comment however, it is worth mentioning that the price strcuture is there in such a way to play fair with our dealers. If the end-user license pricing is that low, then any one can and will buy the devices and run their unlock service company, conflicting with our dealer agreements. The way its priced now is for those that actually own multiple cars and looking for convinience of having everything "under one roof", though we have adjusted the pricing slightly for multi-licenses options.
Sicne the day M-link was released, we already had discounts for those buying both the M-link and flash tuning at the same time. Those who pruchased both saw that discount applied at the cehckout, however yes I think it its predent to get the main post updated to mention that. That will be done once the new multi-license firmware is officially relased as upgrade path for older devices.
Appreciate the candor. I see that you have updated the add-on license pricing. Definitely better value prop now if you have a V8 with multiple DME's or multiple vehicles. It generally saves about $50 per vehicle and you don't have the hassle of sending out the DME, waiting, paying shipping charges, risk of losing one and the ability to unlock repeatedly if needed due to software updates, etc. Thanks again for bringing this product to market, listening to your customers and stellar support.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #37
huzidada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021G21 M340 Xdive

Silly question but can I use a Samsung PD charger to power the device?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #38
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzidada View Post
Silly question but can I use a Samsung PD charger to power the device?
Not silly at all - I went through the same thing with my M-Link. While my battery met "specs" it did not supply the continuous power necessary to keep the DME "alive" during the unlock. I ended up purchasing the mission power supply for I think $20 and all was good. I think the battery or power cord issue is the same.

For my 2-cents I'd spend the $20

Here is a link to their FAQ re battery (likely applicable to power cord as well)

ps- a gem of a tool

https://missiontuning.atlassian.net/...y+Requirements
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #39
huzidada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021G21 M340 Xdive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Not silly at all - I went through the same thing with my M-Link. While my battery met "specs" it did not supply the continuous power necessary to keep the DME "alive" during the unlock. I ended up purchasing the mission power supply for I think $20 and all was good. I think the battery or power cord issue is the same.

For my 2-cents I'd spend the $20

Here is a link to their FAQ re battery (likely applicable to power cord as well)

ps- a gem of a tool

https://missiontuning.atlassian.net/...y+Requirements
Thanks so much bud I'll definitely just grab the pack. Have a good one
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 01:17 PM   #40
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

Has anyone with BM3 and M-Link took their DME back to stock? I was just wondering what the process was as BM3 is supposed to take DME back to stock and lock but evidently leaves some footprints which M-Link does not?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #41
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
Has anyone with BM3 and M-Link took their DME back to stock? I was just wondering what the process was as BM3 is supposed to take DME back to stock and lock but evidently leaves some footprints which M-Link does not?
I did when the offering was part of their eprom backup offering that's what it was an add on to their engine flash, it has now been rebranded as flashback and is available as a license on the mlink.

While I was not running BM3 I did take my DME back to pre-tune state and the car was not flagged despite being plugged in at the dealer for warranty work

I'm sure it hasn't worked for everyone but worked like a champ for me
Appreciate 1
kai201.50
      12-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #42
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

My use case/experience:

I've been running the Mission tune for a couple of years now after flashing it at home (older DME). I've never taken the car to the dealer for service as I didn't want to risk losing the tune and then having to mail my DME for unlock.

Enter M-Link. My goal in using M-Link is to take advantage of the Flashback function. I don't care if my warranty is voided, so I was able to download a back-up of my current (tuned) DME. My plan is to take the car in for service/recalls/updates/etc. Assuming the DME will be re-locked I can then use M-Link to unlock and then flashback the tuned DME back-up. I'll report back after I've done that.

The process of getting everything connected and doing the back-up is easy. The trickiest part is getting the DME connectors seated properly, so be sure to give each connector a little tug before reconnecting your battery and firing everything back up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 02:26 PM   #43
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
My use case/experience:

I've been running the Mission tune for a couple of years now after flashing it at home (older DME). I've never taken the car to the dealer for service as I didn't want to risk losing the tune and then having to mail my DME for unlock.

Enter M-Link. My goal in using M-Link is to take advantage of the Flashback function. I don't care if my warranty is voided, so I was able to download a back-up of my current (tuned) DME. My plan is to take the car in for service/recalls/updates/etc. Assuming the DME will be re-locked I can then use M-Link to unlock and then flashback the tuned DME back-up. I'll report back after I've done that.

The process of getting everything connected and doing the back-up is easy. The trickiest part is getting the DME connectors seated properly, so be sure to give each connector a little tug before reconnecting your battery and firing everything back up.
Update: worked exactly as intended. Got all the recalls and software updates done. Got home and flashed the tune back on in 10 min. Fucking amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:13 PM   #44
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
Update: worked exactly as intended. Got all the recalls and software updates done. Got home and flashed the tune back on in 10 min. Fucking amazing.
What year is your car and what were the recalls/ software updates performed?
Appreciate 0