Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Power Tailgate not working correctly?

12-15-2023, 06:37 AM   #1
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i Touring

Question Power Tailgate not working correctly?

Today, I had an issue where the powered tailgate on my M340i G21 Touring refused to open either by pressing and holding the key fob button or by pressing the switch in the car on the driver's door. You can hear the lock mechanism cycling and it unlocks to then pop up very slightly but refuses to open.

Previously, very occasionally when I tried to open it off the fob, it would open about 6 inches or so and then stop, but if I pressed and held the fob button again it closed, then would open fine on the second attempt.

There's nothing jamming or blocking the actual lock mechanism and I've no idea why it's randomly started doing this today.

Any idea or suggestions on what it could be? My initial thought was maybe a low fob battery although there's been no dash warning for that like you usually get. I've not tried waving my foot under the bumper to see if that works (never occurred to me until just now to try that so will go and check).

Also, if it's a fault with something would it throw up a fault code? Might fire up my OBD scanner and check.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Question

Just had another go at it. I've changed the fob battery for a brand new CR2032 and cleaned/lubricated the lock mechanism, applying White Lithium Grease.

So, off the fob button it generally unlocks and pops up a few mm and remains there. Try pressing the button again and it reluctantly tries to shut/lock but doesn't manage to do so.

Pressing the button in the drivers door results in pretty much the same thing. Then using either the fob or drivers door switch, completely randomly out of the blue maybe every 7 or eight attempts - it will open and close perfectly.

Foot operation using the under bumper sensor results in the same randomness.

However.....if I attempt to open it with the manual button (under the BMW badge on the tailgate) it opens first time, every time.

Baffling
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:35 AM   #3
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Still having intermittent issues with this. Had it in at my local dealer today who said there were no fault codes coming up and mechanically they believe it is in working order, so they are also baffled as to why its happening.

They said unless a fault code is logged they can't really diagnose any issue and make a warranty claim, so I'm back to square one again
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22 View Post
Still having intermittent issues with this. Had it in at my local dealer today who said there were no fault codes coming up and mechanically they believe it is in working order, so they are also baffled as to why its happening.

They said unless a fault code is logged they can't really diagnose any issue and make a warranty claim, so I'm back to square one again
That dealer sounds terrible. I would try another one.
Appreciate 1
335aw86.00
      01-15-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Might seem silly but have you checked that it isn't simply the rubber seals on the door sticking just enough to trip the motor safety cutout? It doesn't take much back pressure to stop these motors. (see below)

Otherwise it might a problem with the switch on the underside of the tailgate, or the motor itself.

Whilst changing shoes immediately behind the boot to play golf the comfort closing system on my M340d on "seeing" my foot move has started to open or close the bootlid depending on the situation.... my bad obviously!

Sometimes I have just stopped the bootlid with my hand and it takes very little pressure for it to stop or pressed the button on the bootlid. It then works perfectly when activated by key fob or button.

So there there is either a sensor or more likely the changing load on the motor which causes it to stop when I hold it. I check my car regularly and no codes have been logged for me stopping the bootlid. That would make me think either your bootlid button is faulty / sticking (or maybe even your key fob button), the motor is overly sensitive or your tailgate is more difficult than usual to open tripping the motor. As its not throwing codes it maybe suggests that it thinks stopping is the correct action.

Have you tried to work out any pattern to the "misfires!? Only after using the key fob? Only after after using the button on tailgate? Only after someone shuts the tailgate by hand rather than the motor?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 07:38 AM   #6
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Might seem silly but have you checked that it isn't simply the rubber seals on the door sticking just enough to trip the motor safety cutout? It doesn't take much back pressure to stop these motors. (see below)

Otherwise it might a problem with the switch on the underside of the tailgate, or the motor itself.

Whilst changing shoes immediately behind the boot to play golf the comfort closing system on my M340d on "seeing" my foot move has started to open or close the bootlid depending on the situation.... my bad obviously!

Sometimes I have just stopped the bootlid with my hand and it takes very little pressure for it to stop or pressed the button on the bootlid. It then works perfectly when activated by key fob or button.

So there there is either a sensor or more likely the changing load on the motor which causes it to stop when I hold it. I check my car regularly and no codes have been logged for me stopping the bootlid. That would make me think either your bootlid button is faulty / sticking (or maybe even your key fob button), the motor is overly sensitive or your tailgate is more difficult than usual to open tripping the motor. As its not throwing codes it maybe suggests that it thinks stopping is the correct action.

Have you tried to work out any pattern to the "misfires!? Only after using the key fob? Only after after using the button on tailgate? Only after someone shuts the tailgate by hand rather than the motor?
Thanks, I'll give the seals a clean and apply something to them as a lubrication, almost. I'll also dig out my second key and try that to eliminate any possible issues withn the existing keyfob button.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:33 AM   #7
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all, just an update on this issue I was having. I don't want to tempt fate (probably have done so by posting this!!) but I cleaned the entire rubber seal around the tailgate with AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber care and then applied a good amount of Sonax Gummi Pflege. Let it dry for 10 mins or so before closing the tailgate.

So far.........so good........powered tailgate is opening without any issues off the fob, with the foot kick and via the button the drivers door.

Will report back over the next month or so to confirm its still working but so far it seems to have done the trick! Worth trying if you are having any similar issues with yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 01:26 AM   #8
Very Simple
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340 Touring & X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22 View Post
Hi all, just an update on this issue I was having. I don't want to tempt fate (probably have done so by posting this!!) but I cleaned the entire rubber seal around the tailgate with AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber care and then applied a good amount of Sonax Gummi Pflege. Let it dry for 10 mins or so before closing the tailgate.

So far.........so good........powered tailgate is opening without any issues off the fob, with the foot kick and via the button the drivers door.

Will report back over the next month or so to confirm its still working but so far it seems to have done the trick! Worth trying if you are having any similar issues with yours.
Has this worked for you or any further issues? Mine has started to do exactly the same, has done it twice now. Thanks.
Appreciate 0