Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2021 m340i engine/transmission whine

01-30-2024, 07:05 AM   #1
stunatu72
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Has anyone experienced an engine whining noise at low speeds usually in 1st-2nd gear? Usually occurs after engine/oil warmed up, driving 15 mins. When in park, no whining noise when revving. No noticeable change in performance, no error codes on OBD scanner other than “21B2C7: Engine oil pressure, plausibility: absolute oil pressure too high “. No issues measuring oil % in idrive. Just wondering if it’s typical of B58/ZF trans. 2021 m340i x drive, about 60,000 km (37K miles). Some sound clips driving 5-20 mph in 1-2 gears:

Taking it to dealer for a road test but wondering if others have seen this. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i had this issue and dealer says it's coming from the front diff.

so getting front diff looked at under warranty. dealer applied to have it replaced but BMW doesn't want to replace it wants to do more tests.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 09:26 PM   #3
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
After I did my transmission and front and rear diff fluid changes, there was a short period of time where there was some whining. After a few hundred miles of regular driving it completely disappeared. Car is as quiet as can be. But, sometimes diffs just go to shit. You’re under warranty it looks like so let them check it out. But please do report back if they find the issue or what was needed to be done to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:26 AM   #4
stunatu72
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
After I did my transmission and front and rear diff fluid changes, there was a short period of time where there was some whining. After a few hundred miles of regular driving it completely disappeared. Car is as quiet as can be. But, sometimes diffs just go to shit. You’re under warranty it looks like so let them check it out. But please do report back if they find the issue or what was needed to be done to fix it.
Thank you. This is helpful. Will report back soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:09 AM   #5
stunatu72
Private
Rep

Quick update. Dealer said everything is normal after a road test. I had to pay for a diagnostic which I decided against. Maybe I’m a little too OCD but their response is laughable… “it’s the turbo” to which I reply “your foot is off the gas and car is slowing down, how is the turbo whining?” At this point will wait and see if it gets worse, then go to another dealer. Typical of my local dealer here in Laval, Quebec to say everything is normal (have a few more examples). To keep costs down they prefer something completely fails before looking at it regardless of any BMW TSBs.
Appreciate 0