Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Sugar - how to avoid

08-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #23
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I was making flavored seltzers in my seltzer machine using Real Lime back during COVID lockdown, but had to take a break every few days because I felt like it was tearing my stomach apart. Even the store-bought bottled infused seltzer with lime bothers me in excess, but I like lime-infused seltzers.

Last week, I bought a bag of "cold brew" powdered black tea to drink in my new office at work. It only takes a tiny 1/4 teaspoon of the tea powder to make a large glass of dark-colored water, but calling it tea is a bit of a stretch in terms of taste. A few drops of liquid lemon juice makes it better, and I will try another brand of powdered black tea once this bag runs out in another month or so.

I agree with everything that TTV8M wrote above, especially the "zero sugar" and "natural sweeteners" stuff all containing alternative sweeteners.....
      08-09-2023, 07:53 AM   #24
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

So, I am looking at the sugar content on the foods I am eating. Sugar is in a LOT of stuff. But, I am finding some things where it is not as big in it. Also focusing on no sugar added products and trying to find "low sugar" versions where I can (a lot of those end up being the same product, minus the extra added sugar - aka- ketchup). I found the no sugar buffalo wing sauce actually cooks better (less sticky) and I can get the wings to be crispier. Pretty cool.

As far as results, it's pretty early in the process for me, but I'm down from 175-176 to 171-173. So, some early gains (losses haha).
      08-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #25
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Maybe something I will work on in the future -thank you - I usually try to work on one thing at a time. Theory of continuous improvement.

nono, you must do this to cut your sugar intake. Sugar and salt go hand in hand. Have you ever wondered why salted caramel is good? Or people like peanut butter pretzels? Honey roasted peanuts? Because the combo is tasty. Moreover, your body learns to crave one with the other. Don't trust me? Eat a very salt heavy meal and see how quickly your body is asking for a sweet treat. Candy, cookies, whatever.

You back off the salt and your sweet cravings drop as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
So, I am looking at the sugar content on the foods I am eating. Sugar is in a LOT of stuff. But, I am finding some things where it is not as big in it. Also focusing on no sugar added products and trying to find "low sugar" versions where I can (a lot of those end up being the same product, minus the extra added sugar - aka- ketchup). I found the no sugar buffalo wing sauce actually cooks better (less sticky) and I can get the wings to be crispier. Pretty cool.

As far as results, it's pretty early in the process for me, but I'm down from 175-176 to 171-173. So, some early gains (losses haha).
That's most likely water loss due to a healthier diet / lower salt intake. Remember, there is no magic bullet. In order to lose 1 lb of fat your must burn an extra 3,500 calories over what you intake. Now, the amount of calories you burn depends on a lot of thigns: your overall metabolism, how much sleep you got, how stressed you are, your exercise patterns, etc. But by in large you're not moving your base calorie intake enough to drop 15,000 calories worth of fat quickly.

Having said that...the drop in even water weight indicates you're off to a good start and you're eliminating crap from your diet. Keep it up! And when you want a treat, do so...in moderation! Remember, if you are really looking to make a change, this isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Which means it must be sustainable in the long term. And that's not going to happen if you hate what you eat.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:31 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Sugar is pretty annoying. The industry is already doing me a 'favor' by using crappier ingredients that I could taste, so I don't even buy those chocolate bars anymore since I know how much better they should be, but just the other day, I bought a whole freaking cake for myself in addition to one for my wife lol. Ok, I'll cut back some more after these, I promise haha.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:04 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
just the other day, I bought a whole freaking cake for myself in addition to one for my wife lol.
Little Debbie, or mini Bundt?
      08-16-2023, 04:03 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Little Debbie, or mini Bundt?
Just some generic brands.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:28 AM   #29
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Since July, I'm down to 166. I was down to 166 at the start of October, but a 5 day cruise put me back up to 172... Back at home, the weight came off quickly the second time. IDK if I will go lower than 166 without further modifications to diet, but we'll see. I still have some sugar (i.e., grapes, apples, etc.) and a coke on average maybe once in ten days. Happy with where I am right now.
chassis6552.50
      10-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #30
domacuratl
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I am currently going down this rabbit hole and still in the process of trying to acquire as much knowledge as I can with it comes to nutrition. The American diet (a balance diet) which is spreading all over the whole world is causing all kinds of health problems like obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems. Someone mention earlier every time you eat you cause a blood sugar spike which is 100% correct even if you are only eating meat. The ultimate goal when it comes to sugar control is controlling the total amount of added sugar in your diet, your blood sugar level peak spike and also how many blood spikes you have in a day. Someone also mention something about doing intermediate fast which is also a great tool into controlling how many blood sugar spikes you have in a day and also gives your body a chance to help heal itself metabolically through a process called autophagy. The ideal diet must promote both being healthy physically and metabolically. There are so many myths out there when it comes to nutrition and I will not talk about conspiracy theories as to why that is the case. IMHO, I think the best 2 diets are keto and carnivore. Keto would be a good place to start for most people and overtime it can be adjusted as needed. For people who are what I call metabolically sick or have autoimmune diseases of any kind; Carnivore is the ideal diet for them as to there are so many testimonials of people who can contest to this on the internet. In the end your diet needs to be a lifestyle because you cannot buy good health; Just like the cliché saying good health is considered wealth.
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50
      10-25-2023, 08:50 AM   #31
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

I've found the issue with keto for people who are severely overweight is it's unsustainable forever,so once you reintroduce carbs you now blow back up again since no lifestyle changes have been made mentally or physically like you mentioned. I've never been a fan of any particular fad diet,I stick with what I know works for me which is whole foods (with occasional protein shakes thrown in for variety) and continually adjust/refine as needed to reach my goals.

IMO,keto is a useful tool but only for certain individuals. I've personally found that I don't get a good pump as my glycogen stores are low from not having complex starchy carbs and I'm weak. On the flip side,I know an IFBB Pro who goes strictly keto when he diets for a contest and looks top notch. I could never do it;hence you experiment to find what works best for you and stick with it
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50
      10-25-2023, 09:44 AM   #32
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Monk fruit extract + ghirardelli cocoa + pumpkin + cinnamon + oats = bake in oven

Papaya + honey after workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:56 AM   #33
domacuratl
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
I've found the issue with keto for people who are severely overweight is it's unsustainable forever,so once you reintroduce carbs you now blow back up again since no lifestyle changes have been made mentally or physically like you mentioned. I've never been a fan of any particular fad diet,I stick with what I know works for me which is whole foods (with occasional protein shakes thrown in for variety) and continually adjust/refine as needed to reach my goals.

IMO,keto is a useful tool but only for certain individuals. I've personally found that I don't get a good pump as my glycogen stores are low from not having complex starchy carbs and I'm weak. On the flip side,I know an IFBB Pro who goes strictly keto when he diets for a contest and looks top notch. I could never do it;hence you experiment to find what works best for you and stick with it

I would tell you the people who fall off the keto diet and cannot sustain would most likely be due to the fact they did not adjust the diet overtime to fit them. Keto needs to be thought of as a template; You don't have to strictly get your daily calories in the ratio of 70-80% from coming from fat, 10-20% protein and 5-10% from carbs. I personally do a hybrid approach of both carnivore and keto. Most of my protein and fats coming from animal products: meats, eggs and cheese and most of my carbs come from vegetables with a small amount of fruit. The thing about the human body in general is when you start pulling levers to get your body to do something whether it is losing weight, burning fat, getting healthy or building muscle; the body is constantly trying to maintain homeostasis and will resist change. So, the variables themselves have to constantly be adjusted from time to time to create change or goal one is seeking for. Another way to think of Keto is in the long run it forces a person to start eating a lot more whole foods which by design is a great thing and get off of eating process and ultra process carbs. My mother eats very similar but in smaller portions and she cured herself of type 2 diabetes and lost over 60 pounds. I myself is currently in the best shape of my life at 11% percent body fat at the age of 43 and still in the process improving. I wish I had all this knowledge when I was younger but like the say better late than never. I have upload my bodpod results and photo of my physique in another post on the forums under health fitness. I am a healthcare professional and my calling in life is to help others and pay it forward.
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1911.00
      02-04-2024, 01:27 PM   #34
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Fascinating....Fructose as a signalling mechanism that "winter is coming" flipping on Insulin and fat storage...

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:32 PM   #35
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Fascinating....Fructose as a signalling mechanism that "winter is coming" flipping on Insulin and fat storage...

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2049.50