Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Explain the difference between Driving Assistance and Driving Assistance Pro Packages

04-20-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

Explain the difference between Driving Assistance and Driving Assistance Pro Packages

I'm looking at purchasing a M340i and I see the vast majority of models do NOT have the professional package, especially those made in the 21-22 model years (maybe due to Covid shortages).

Specifically, I want the feature with adaptive cruise control and automatic lane keeping. Basically it's like a semi-autonomous driving mode where the car will steer itself and keep a proper speed relative to other cars at highway speeds. I know the professional package also comes with "traffic jam assist" which I don't really care about as much - more I want the lane keeping for highway cruising.

It is unclear to me me if the non-professional driving assistant package includes this feature, or if I will have to go for the driving assistant professional.

Last edited by LopsidedLand; 04-20-2024 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 03:37 PM   #2
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

The DAP has blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, distance parking control, and active driving assistant (collision warnings)

The professional package adds active driving assistant pro. This includes adaptive cruise control, steering and lane keep/change assist, traffic jam assist (autonomous driving, hands-free, under 40 mph) and evasion aid.

So what you want is professional package. It is harder to find.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:21 PM   #3
Plimmie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
Once you have the Driving Assistance Professional Package, you don’t want to go back! I had it on my 330e and I searched a long time, before I found my new M340i with this option. I wanted this specific option so bad, I actually drove to a dealer over 5 hours away to buy this one.
      04-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #4
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plimmie View Post
Once you have the Driving Assistance Professional Package, you don’t want to go back! I had it on my 330e and I searched a long time, before I found my new M340i with this option. I wanted this specific option so bad, I actually drove to a dealer over 5 hours away to buy this one.
Or you could be like me. Didn't even realise I had the professional package (it might have been standard in Australia) but I pretty much don't use the features. I turn off the adaptive cruise most of time if there's other cars around and never use the auto lane keeping.

Pretty sure the OP will agree with you though since he's specifically searching for it.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2024, 12:03 AM   #5
Plimmie
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post
Or you could be like me. Didn't even realise I had the professional package (it might have been standard in Australia) but I pretty much don't use the features. I turn off the adaptive cruise most of time if there's other cars around and never use the auto lane keeping.

Pretty sure the OP will agree with you though since he's specifically searching for it.
Maybe…. I don’t know what traffic is like in Australia, but where I live it takes over an hour to drive 20 miles in rush hour traffic. The driving assistance professional package keeps me sane in my commute.
      04-21-2024, 02:22 AM   #6
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Maybe…. I don’t know what traffic is like in Australia, but where I live it takes over an hour to drive 20 miles in rush hour traffic. The driving assistance professional package keeps me sane in my commute.
It's definitely like that in parts of Sydney, so I do get to experience it every so often but I'm fortunate that my regular commute is quite free flowing. I don't think anything could keep me sane dealing with that on a regular basis.
Appreciate 1
Plimmie79.50
      04-21-2024, 07:03 AM   #7
softtop
Rep
Drives: M440i Cab

Garage List
Believe it's the 5AU package Driving Assistant Professional
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2024, 10:19 AM   #8
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

I have the Drive Pro option on my 2024 G26 M440i X-Drive...its amazing and I simply cant imagine having a car in this price range without it.

Its just a must have on a car in this price range.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #9
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthry View Post
The DAP has blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, distance parking control, and active driving assistant (collision warnings)

The professional package adds active driving assistant pro. This includes adaptive cruise control, steering and lane keep/change assist, traffic jam assist (autonomous driving, hands-free, under 40 mph) and evasion aid.

So what you want is professional package. It is harder to find.
Thanks for the answer. That's annoying that it's so rare. I mean new economy cars come with adaptive cruise and I get that BMWs are marketed to be a "driver's car" or whatever but it should be standard on a car of this price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:23 PM   #10
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post
My car is a 2019 so had the full-fat Pro package as standard in Australia. It was deleted for a couple of years during the Covid chip shortage era. I think it's great on long freeway/highway drives, super relaxing. I deactivate the full driver assistance in town as I find the lane keeping feature is too intrusive, but I use the adaptive cruise all the time. It's great in my morning commute (though traffic in Perth is better even than Sydney) as it just keeps a steady distance from the car in front, and also keeps me at the limit on a couple of dual carriageway urban roads which are notorious for random speed cameras. The BMW system is smoother than the adaptive cruise in my wife's Subaru Outback, but even that is OK. I'd not buy a car without it now.

My car also came optioned with the head-up display which I wouldn't have bothered with, but I really like that too.
Appreciate 2
Fulqrum34.00
      04-24-2024, 03:52 PM   #11
c_stmartin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2021

Quote:
I love using the adaptive cruise control, especially on the hilly 6% grade highways between San Diego and Las Vegas. That said, my 2021 330i with only 15K miles on it made this trip this week and it warped both front rotors. The tech said it was likely the use of the adaptive cruise control. Yikes! Should I consider better brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:55 PM   #12
Plimmie
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_stmartin View Post
I love using the adaptive cruise control, especially on the hilly 6% grade highways between San Diego and Las Vegas. That said, my 2021 330i with only 15K miles on it made this trip this week and it warped both front rotors. The tech said it was likely the use of the adaptive cruise control. Yikes! Should I consider better brakes?
Interesting that the tech said that. I drove approximately 39K miles with my previous BMW using the adaptive cruise control all the time. Also on my multiple trips from San Jose to Las Vegas and San Diego. I also driven my car hard at autoX events. I haven’t had the need to replace the rotors.
If you go down a steep grade for a long time, and you continuously apply the brakes, they will heat up, and you have a chance to glaze the rotors. You should try to use engine braking in those cases (which the adaptive cruise control actually also does).
Other causes for so called warping are inferior pads, sticky pads, etc. Anything that causes excessive heat in the pads or rotors.
Big brake kits are used on track cars for a reason :-)
      04-25-2024, 02:26 AM   #13
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I hunted for over a year before I found a m340i that checked all the boxes with driver assistance pro. Driver assist pro is an absolute rarity on these cars but absolutely worth it if the features matter to you.

The traffic jam assist is the biggest draw for me. I spend over 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic. With driver assist pro, I can engage it, take my hands off the wheel and relax a bit. It's a serious quality of life improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:41 AM   #14
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Got DAPP on my M440i GC. Traffic jam assist and self driving on the highway is sooooooo good.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:14 AM   #15
vi3tr8cer
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i xDrive

My 2020 330 has Pro, it works great on highways, it follows cars on city streets, however, it cannot recognize stop lights and stop signs. Lane Change Assistance is non-active (maybe it was illegal in 2020), the feature is available, it would need to be coded.

If you're serious about Pro, try to find one with LCA already active.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #16
komoornik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M440i G23

Both things you are mentioning can be easily coded.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 01:49 PM   #17
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by komoornik View Post
Both things you are mentioning can be easily coded.
Not in the US (where I believe OP is located), the hardware is not included without selecting the option.
Appreciate 1
madpistol1746.00
      04-25-2024, 04:20 PM   #18
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
What hardware is missing for LCA if you have DAP?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:17 PM   #19
komoornik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M440i G23

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthry View Post
Not in the US (where I believe OP is located), the hardware is not included without selecting the option.
Exactly, nothing is missing if you have DAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 08:54 PM   #20
Fulqrum
Rep
Drives: M440ix

When I bought my G22 new in ‘21 I didn’t even really understand what the DAPP was, or how it was supposed to work. I was happy enough that it had the Parking Assistance Package and Executive Package, and wasn’t even aware for the first few months that, due to a bad forward-facing traffic sensor from the factory, that the entire DAPP system was broken…. I was so overwhelmed with all the other awesome technology of the car I hadn’t noticed. After getting DAPP fixed, I felt like I was driving the Enterprise, lol.
Makes those shitty Seattle commutes much more tolerable!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:31 PM   #21
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulqrum View Post
When I bought my G22 new in ‘21 I didn’t even really understand what the DAPP was, or how it was supposed to work. I was happy enough that it had the Parking Assistance Package and Executive Package, and wasn’t even aware for the first few months that, due to a bad forward-facing traffic sensor from the factory, that the entire DAPP system was broken…. I was so overwhelmed with all the other awesome technology of the car I hadn’t noticed. After getting DAPP fixed, I felt like I was driving the Enterprise, lol.
Makes those shitty Seattle commutes much more tolerable!
Yes, BMW makes "The Ultimate Driving Machine", but for people that have to deal with traffic, it's really nice to let DAPP take care of the stress for you when needed.
Fulqrum34.00