Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Incorrect mileage on title

11-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Incorrect mileage on title

I recently purchased a car from a private party sale. The title has an extra "1" in it, it should have read 88XXX vs 188XXX. I am wondering what is the best way to go about rectifying this? My biggest concern is if this will affect the Carfax at all.

I did go to the DMV today, they are not required to enter the mileage (over 10 year old car) so the mileage will stay incorrect when I receive the new title. The lady recommended that I do not sign the front, and once I get the title in my name then I dispute it.

Has anyone had this issue before? Carfax, records and all prove that it was a fat-finger mistake. Any advice appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

I ran into this with my Honda Ridgeline. Had a transmission software update at the dealership and the tech input "123123" for the mileage. Therefore, my mileage went from 90k to 123123 and than 92k when I had it inspected. Carfax picked up on it and flagged my car for an odometer rollback. I didn't even realize it until I tried to sell it and the buyer told me to pound sand.
Long story short, Carfax WILL correct a legitimate error. If you go to their website, there is a link to apply for a report correction. You will have to provide documentation from whoever screwed it up. In my case, I had to submit a letter from the service manager on company letterhead stating that the tech "lazily" entered a made up mileage number. They did correct the error and removed it from the Carfax report. Process took a couple weeks and they were actually relatively easy to deal with.
If you want to send me the VIN I can run it to see if it's popped up yet. (I have a Carfax account)

Edit: Also, in your case, you may need to get an affidavit from whoever screwed up the title mileage. I'm sure it varies by state, but I would start with Carfax so they can tell you what they require.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
I ran into this with my Honda Ridgeline. Had a transmission software update at the dealership and the tech input "123123" for the mileage. Therefore, my mileage went from 90k to 123123 and than 92k when I had it inspected. Carfax picked up on it and flagged my car for an odometer rollback. I didn't even realize it until I tried to sell it and the buyer told me to pound sand.
Long story short, Carfax WILL correct a legitimate error. If you go to their website, there is a link to apply for a report correction. You will have to provide documentation from whoever screwed it up. In my case, I had to submit a letter from the service manager on company letterhead stating that the tech "lazily" entered a made up mileage number. They did correct the error and removed it from the Carfax report. Process took a couple weeks and they were actually relatively easy to deal with.
If you want to send me the VIN I can run it to see if it's popped up yet. (I have a Carfax account)

Edit: Also, in your case, you may need to get an affidavit from whoever screwed up the title mileage. I'm sure it varies by state, but I would start with Carfax so they can tell you what they require.
In this case, if the DMV was the one that made the error for the last owner when entering mileage how would I go about resolving that? The good thing is that this will not pop up on Carfax since DMV isn't required to report the mileage for my vehicle (over 10 years old).

I just want to resolve it so it doesn't come back and bite me when I sell it down the line. Comforting to know that this is fixable though! Hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...meter-mileage/
Appreciate 0