Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MST cold air intake install problem

06-12-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
Toc330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330e

MST cold air intake install problem

I installed a mst CAI on my 2023 BMW 330e and the install went well but after 2 days of driving I got a check engine light and the code was P00BC. The check engine light went away later on but now I notice my car is less responsive and performs a bit worse. Wondering if anyone knows a fix for this problem. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
Toc330e
Registered
Rep

I found out that behind the larger pcv valve the vacuum line coupler can be moved around a lot and up and down. should that be able to move at all?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 10:30 PM   #3
skylarsarti
sky
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xdrive

Garage List
Hey! I have been having this issue. BMW pulled my codes over the air (needed a specific code not just the general P00BC) and mine pulled for a 0x102002 which says I’m not getting enough air. I’m having it looked at by a friend who owns a performance shop this weekend but when he briefly looked over it after dinner over the weekend he thinks it’s something to do with the MAF because they’re very sensitive. My light comes and goes but the code is permanent right now. I’ll update this weekend , hope this helps. You can always call BMWs support line and they can tell you exactly what code it’s pulling on their end!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
Toc330e
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsarti View Post
Hey! I have been having this issue. BMW pulled my codes over the air (needed a specific code not just the general P00BC) and mine pulled for a 0x102002 which says I’m not getting enough air. I’m having it looked at by a friend who owns a performance shop this weekend but when he briefly looked over it after dinner over the weekend he thinks it’s something to do with the MAF because they’re very sensitive. My light comes and goes but the code is permanent right now. I’ll update this weekend , hope this helps. You can always call BMWs support line and they can tell you exactly what code it’s pulling on their end!
awesome yeah this is exactly what is happening to my car. I tightened the clamp on the smaller vacuum line very tight and last night when I was driving it felt a lot more responsive. Definitely let me know what your friend at the shop says. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #5
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive 2021

Garage List
I’ve had the MST for a few weeks and monitored and logged with jb4 daily. The intake made my car run lean at WOT and the car ran a little slower. I used a draggy to measure and compare my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I honestly think you need to tune for it to get any performance gains. There is not much tuning options at the moment so I ended up getting rid of it and just sticking with the stock intake.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330eJL View Post
I’ve had the MST for a few weeks and monitored and logged with jb4 daily. The intake made my car run lean at WOT and the car ran a little slower. I used a draggy to measure and compare my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I honestly think you need to tune for it to get any performance gains. There is not much tuning options at the moment so I ended up getting rid of it and just sticking with the stock intake.
You will get very little power from it. On the B58, it has been tested many times and it is always the same outcome. It might be different on the B48 but I doubt it.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
skylarsarti
sky
Rep

Garage List
Didn’t get time to go to my friends shop yet things came up, we plan to go this weekend at some point if the CEL comes back.. but my husband and I ended up messing with it. We reseated everything, cleaned the maf (it was a little dirty) and checked all the connections. I do have a hairline crack in the plastic on the maf so if this doesn’t work we know for sure my maf is shorting. It’s been two days and I’ve put around 40 miles on it and haven’t gotten a cel again so far 🤞🏼clean your maf and see what happens !
Adding to the photo you added too, mine does that. I keep having to reseat it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 01:53 PM   #8
skylarsarti
sky
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well the issue him and I are having makes the car cut a little power because it thinks it’s not getting enough air. Intake alone doesn’t do much, like you said, but you should see a very slight improvement in response. Very very slight but something, it shouldn’t be cutting responsiveness. I know for me the CEL comes and goes for it, i notice it less when i have AC on as soon as i start my car. Have you thought about switching to bm3? I’ve heard a lot of people having better luck with it in the fb group than jb4.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 10:17 PM   #9
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive 2021

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsarti View Post
Well the issue him and I are having makes the car cut a little power because it thinks it’s not getting enough air. Intake alone doesn’t do much, like you said, but you should see a very slight improvement in response. Very very slight but something, it shouldn’t be cutting responsiveness. I know for me the CEL comes and goes for it, i notice it less when i have AC on as soon as i start my car. Have you thought about switching to bm3? I’ve heard a lot of people having better luck with it in the fb group than jb4.
yeah I am planning on switching to bm3 eventually and getting a downpipe. I’m just not sure when. Maybe next year.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 10:22 PM   #10
skylarsarti
sky
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeah I am planning on switching to bm3 eventually and getting a downpipe. I’m just not sure when. Maybe next year.
Hope everything works out for you, I’ve dailyed 2 other 3 series and I feel like this one is very finicky compared to the others.
Appreciate 1
330eJL115.50
      07-03-2023, 07:29 PM   #11
Oloops
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc330e View Post
I installed a mst CAI on my 2023 BMW 330e and the install went well but after 2 days of driving I got a check engine light and the code was P00BC. The check engine light went away later on but now I notice my car is less responsive and performs a bit worse. Wondering if anyone knows a fix for this problem. Thanks.
Hi, when installing the intake did you have to do anything to the heat shield since on the hybrid model there is a hose in the way? I saw on another post that someone had to cut the heat shield to get the heat shield to fit on the hybrid.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #12
skylarsarti
sky
Rep

Garage List
I got sick of my CEL so i put the stock box back on (no cel after 70 miles) and looked over my entire intake. Turbo inlet has a hole in it all the way through. I’ve had that damn cel since i put it on and never thought to check it. Not sure how it even got there being I peeled the tape off the box instead of cutting it in fear of something like this. I was about to replace my MAF, good thing I didn’t. Check your inlet pipe, friend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #13
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I had an eventuri intake on my X2 m35i. It would constantly get lean codes but it didn't seem to effect performance, just a nuisance always having to reset it. BMW even tried to fix it for me when they were replacing the motor mount and couldn't get it to not throw codes.

They don't seem to like more air.
Appreciate 0