Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions No manual tranny? No new 3 series for me

Closed Thread

10-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
Another huge difference is the impact of a torque converter. Even with fully "manual" gear selection with the paddle-shifter, will the drive train be locked or will it continuously wiggle about with the torque converter slipping and grabbing and locking and such?
That's a good point (although we are drifting a bit from the topic), and I don't know the answer to your question. What I do know is that contemporary automatics like the latest ZF8 are said to be "very good" and "nearly equivalent in every way" when compared to a DCT. I haven't verified this myself.

However, as someone who migrated away from manual transmissions a decade ago, I can say that the M DCT was a huge factor in that decision. Had the alternate choice been to a slush box, I may not have switched. I am not thrilled by the fact that the ZF8 is (according to rumor) set to take over for the DCT in the next M3/M4 like it has in the M5 (and will also in the upcoming M8, and more than likely the next generation M2 as well).

Quote:
But what if the ratio change from 5th to 6th ( or have a 7th speed?) was more significant to make 6th more of a high speed cruising only gear with a very low overall ratio to match that of the 8 speed auto, would cruising MPG then be the same with the manual?
Again, I don't know the answer. But your mention of ratio spread is indeed on target, as that is what has motivated the move to transmissions with higher number of available ratios. There is a limit to how much distance can between any two ratios due to the way an engine delivers power and the tradeoffs you make with efficiency and so forth. I don't know the details of that as far as BMW's engines - I'm sure it becomes complex quickly. But at any rate, a planetary transmission can scale easier (more cheaply, more space efficiently, more mass efficiently) than a manual or DCT because of the compactness and versatility of the planetary gear sets. Mercedes has taken advantage of this by using clutch packs with a planetary box so they get the best of both words - no slush, and nine ratios. I believe the idea behind ZF and others keeping the torque converter is as you had suggested - they use lock-up to get clutched-gearbox-like power delivery while retaining the low RPM smoothness of the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #68
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I know that some will label me a dinosaur, BUT I have and always will enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission. I had to special order my current car and quite honestly, I accept that as the "price to pay" for getting a manual transmission.

Thing that I find most hard to understand is why BMW, calling the 3 series, the ultimate driving, is all but eliminating manual transmission from the 2019 3 series. I understand that there is a cost to offer a 3 series manual transmission in the US -- the EPA and crash tests that must be done and submitted; and I also understand that manuals account for a very small percent of new 3 series sales. Having said that, however, it seems to me that BMW will still celar a profit if they offer manual in this country

I only hope that as the M340 is is finalized for the US, that BMW comes to its senses -- guess one lives in hope and dies in despair!

For what it's worth!!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50
apascutia172.50
      10-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #69
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Having said that, however, it seems to me that BMW will still celar a profit if they offer manual in this country
I share your sympathies, but that is not the math. Each car built carries a margin contribution and there is an overall program profitability objective. BMW could spend additional investment for certifying another powertrain combination(s) (US cert manual with 4 or 6 cylinder or both). But, if capacity can already be filled with existing demand for automatics, the additional investment is purely a program profitability deterioration as manual trans units substitute for automatics - not incremental volume (variable cost of manual trans vs automatic is another factor to consider in substitution analysis), and may lower average margin. One would have to demonstrate incremental volume AND incremental production capacity AND that the margin associated offsets the incremental investment and plant operating costs for additional plant powertrain complexity AND that the incremental capacity is not better used for automatics (deciding that automatic free demand is already filled) to decide to add the US manual powertrain back to the mix.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7509.50
      10-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #70
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I share your sympathies, but that is not the math. Each car built carries a margin contribution and there is an overall program profitability objective. BMW could spend additional investment for certifying another powertrain combination(s) (US cert manual with 4 or 6 cylinder or both). But, if capacity can already be filled with existing demand for automatics, the additional investment is purely a program profitability deterioration as manual trans units substitute for automatics - not incremental volume (variable cost of manual trans vs automatic is another factor to consider in substitution analysis), and may lower average margin. One would have to demonstrate incremental volume AND incremental production capacity AND that the margin associated offsets the incremental investment and plant operating costs for additional plant powertrain complexity AND that the incremental capacity is not better used for automatics (deciding that automatic free demand is already filled) to decide to add the US manual powertrain back to the mix.
All that is true except g20 will be available with 6MT in other countries so no additional costs besides making it legal in USA
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #71
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
All that is true except g20 will be available with 6MT in other countries so no additional costs besides making it legal in USA
Yes we get some MT models in the UK. But rapidly moving to only being available in the small engines and lower power outputs.

Historically MT was the cheap, economical option. AT was a high cost option. Over the past few years, the market for MT in larger engine models has dropped away, to the point something like a 550i MT would be virtually impossible to sell. I recall a new E60 550i MT with a superb spec', sitting on a dealer forecourt for months, until the price dropped to a stupidly cheap sum, before someone took it on. If it had been AT it would have been snapped up in days.

All the BMW diesels with 3.0 litre engines lost MT years ago. The UK F10 M5 5-series never had MT as an option. Shows how the market place is moving, when there are too few M5 drivers wanting MT, that it just never happened.

Even fewer drivers want MT these days, it's another chore to driving which many just don't want in their daily drivers.

BTW, I was driving MT for over 35 years before I bought into AT. I still enjoy a few hours now and again with MT in hire cars, but to be honest I find the 8-speed AT just as rewarding to drive. I can be as involved as much as I like, (paddles and/or shifter), or just leave it to do its thing when I want to relax.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #72
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is not a minor effort. "Making it legal in the US" is millions to tens of millions considering the person, materials, and facility cost of building and crashing of multiple prototypes with that powertrain combination to U.S. FMVSS standards. Then, the emissions cert is added, although a more minor investment.

Also, the production mix already has baked in the rate for MT for the other countries. At this point, per my previous discussion, the issue is additional substitution for U.S. units of MT for AT builds or incremental production capacity, as they have no doubt developed a plan to fill their plant as is. That is where the business case gets more complex.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #73
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those models won't be sold in the US though. The 330i, as well as the the upcoming M340i and 330e, won't have manual transmissions anywhere in the world.

I'm not sure if the 320i is being offered with a manual transmission, but even if it is, that model is not expected to be sold in the US. Instead, the new UKL-based 228i Grand Coupe is coming next year to take over the entry level BMW price point.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #74
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Gear changes are overrated.
Add in the inability of many MT drivers to swap cogs smoothly...

I've sat with quite a few MT drivers and cringe. They ought to be driving AT, just to get a smooth drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #75
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Gear changes are overrated.

Really?

"So no one told you life was going to be this way.
Your job's a joke, you're broke, you're love life's DOA.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear,
Well, it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #76
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really?

...It's like you're always stuck in second gear...
Just to make it clear, he drives a Tesla Model 3. There is no second gear.

Indeed a vehicle with peak torque at zero RPM and thus no need for a multi-ratio transmission does possess a certain beauty of its own.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #77
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Just to make it clear, he drives a Tesla Model 3. There is no second gear.

Indeed a vehicle with peak torque at zero RPM and thus no need for a multi-ratio transmission does possess a certain beauty of its own.
Interesting...had a grand down as a Model 3 deposit for more than a year. Then, I started learning more about their design and production process and got my refund. They have very advanced battery/powertrain technology....body-in-white/interior design and overall final assembly.....another story, but off topic and not looking for flaming. Looking for more info about G20 PHEV or BEV....will make a nice garage pair with my 2 Series 6MT Track Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #78
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Add in the inability of many MT drivers to swap cogs smoothly...

I've sat with quite a few MT drivers and cringe. They ought to be driving AT, just to get a smooth drive.
But whiplash is part of the driving experience
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #79
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Really?

"So no one told you life was going to be this way.
Your job's a joke, you're broke, you're love life's DOA.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear,
Well, it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year."
You can't get stuck in second gear when your car has only one.

(Tesla should really promote the depression-reducing abilities of their cars.)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #80
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Interesting...had a grand down as a Model 3 deposit for more than a year. Then, I started learning more about their design and production process and got my refund. They have very advanced battery/powertrain technology....body-in-white/interior design and overall final assembly.....another story, but off topic and not looking for flaming. Looking for more info about G20 PHEV or BEV....will make a nice garage pair with my 2 Series 6MT Track Package.
Compared to the last few cars I owned, my Model 3 is built like crap. I really feel bad about it every time I look at it. Right until the moment when I pull out of the driveway and fly away.

Still, I would love to go back to BMW. Unfortunately, I don't see a BEV that would match the Tesla's performance coming from BMW for a few more years - and who knows what Model Y will be capable of by then?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #81
moomeacow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1987 View Post
That low on the M3? No way. It's much higher than 6-7 percent. Somewhere I read 25%+. I don't think they are going to kill it for the M3.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/bm...issionsfor-now

"Which brings us to the good news: BMW buyers—particularly Americans—are still choosing stick shifts in sufficient numbers to justify continued development for certain models, specifically the M2, M3, and M4, as well as their successors."

"As long as we have these take rates on M2, and also the M3 and M4, we’re going to offer manuals, because we listen to our customers. Even though as an engineer I’d say we don’t necessarily need one. If demand is so high, then why not fulfill it?”
yea I read a different article that the take rates around 15-17 percent but still low, they already killed the manual for the g20 and if you look at the trans of that car doesn't look like theres even space to put in a manual. Also the guy who said that was mostly referring to the m2 as the take rate is 50 percent. Also he left bmw so what he said I would take with a grain of salt lol. Who knows maybe they move the idrive somewhere but it seems like manuals are getting killed.

Last edited by moomeacow; 10-05-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #82
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomeacow View Post
yea I read a different article that the take rates around 15-17 percent but still low, they already killed the manual for the g20 and if you look at the trans of that car doesn't look like theres even space to put in a manual. Also the guy who said that was mostly referring to the m2 as the take rate is 50 percent. Also he left bmw so what he said I would take with a grain of salt lol. Who knows maybe they move the idrive somewhere but it seems like manuals are getting killed.
Go to the UK configurator and you can see the iDrive controller is moved for manuals.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Weiman156.00
CSBM52721.00
      10-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #83
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Oh well.
Time to move on
I appreciate you saying that, as I'm a die hard manual guy too, and that too is a deal breaker.

But if you're on the market for a non-M 3er, and now that you don't have a manual you're jumping ship, what other options do you have (ideally 3er competitors)?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #84
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
But if you're on the market for a non-M 3er, and now that you don't have a manual you're jumping ship, what other options do you have (ideally 3er competitors)?
Honda Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #85
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Sorry not sorry- I just don't know how they can claim "ultimate driving machine" without a manual tranny. It's about driver Involvement.

That's OK
There are alternatives and it's not the end of the world!
First world problems
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50
snaketh99.50
      10-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #86
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
Honda Civic Type R
The Civic Type R is one of the worst looking cars on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #87
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
The Civic Type R is one of the worst looking cars on the road.
And not one bit a competitor to the 3er.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #88
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Sorry not sorry- I just don't know how they can claim "ultimate driving machine" without a manual tranny. It's about driver Involvement.

That's OK
There are alternatives and it's not the end of the world!
First world problems
No that's the the f-in problem. There are NO alternatives. That's it. We're done.
4 door sports sedan with 6 speed manual transmission from Japan or Europe with 6-cylinder ( f it, even 4 Turbocharged) engine. None! No, boy racer Type R and STI don't count.

If someone posts "that's what ///M cars are for..." I'm gonna throw a rock at them
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
snaketh99.50
Closed Thread