Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Different tyres same axle

04-24-2024, 10:22 AM   #1
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

Different tyres same axle

I've just got my car back from a major service where BMW found a nail in my OSR tyre which I approved them to change. Before they changed it I got a call saying the supplier had sent them a newer model tyre with a different tread pattern and when I asked if BMW would recommend having different tread pattern on the same axle of a M340D X-Drive, they said not a problem. My issues is this. I had Bridgestone Potenza S001's all round and they have now fitted a Bridgestone Turanza T005. I say this isn't just a different tread pattern, it's a totaly different tyre type. I'm going back tomorrow for them to investigate but has anybody else experienced this before?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

According to BMW themselves, in the manual...
Attached Images

04-24-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
Carl99
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport G20 06/19

S001

Are the S001's approved for the G20?

My approved-used 330i came with a new set of S001 RFT's but I swapped them out for the BMW approved Good Year F1 RFT's because the S001's did not feel right - too soft. For my 330i the S001 tyre makings did not fully match the tyre specs the b-pillar plate - wrong load index and lacking XL. Could be different for your model?

You can check the approved tyres in a BMW part catalogue with your chassis number at https://www.realoem.com

I also found the attached at the time.

Tyres.pdf

Ideally you need to chat with Highland Pete - he's an expert on tyres!

Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to say the dealer fitted the S001 because no other approve tyre was available at the time due to the lock down disruption.

Last edited by Carl99; 04-24-2024 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 12:26 PM   #4
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
Are the S001's approved for the G20?

My approved-used 330i came with a new set of S001 RFT's but I swapped them out for the BMW approved Good Year F1 RFT's because the S001's did not feel right - too soft. For my 330i the S001 tyre makings did not fully match the tyre specs the b-pillar plate - wrong load index and lacking XL. Could be different for your model?

You can check the approved tyres in a BMW part catalogue with your chassis number at https://www.realoem.com/bmw

I also found the attached at the time.

Attachment 3441974

Ideally you need to chat with Highland Pete - he's an expert on tyres!

Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to say the dealer fitted the S001 because no other approve tyre was available at the time due to the lock down disruption.
S001's are star rated and approved for use with BMW G20. I like the feel over the stock Turanza and wanted to remain run-flat.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:54 PM   #5
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlisdad View Post
I've just got my car back from a major service where BMW found a nail in my OSR tyre which I approved them to change. Before they changed it I got a call saying the supplier had sent them a newer model tyre with a different tread pattern and when I asked if BMW would recommend having different tread pattern on the same axle of a M340D X-Drive, they said not a problem. My issues is this. I had Bridgestone Potenza S001's all round and they have now fitted a Bridgestone Turanza T005. I say this isn't just a different tread pattern, it's a totaly different tyre type. I'm going back tomorrow for them to investigate but has anybody else experienced this before?
There is no way I would accept that as it does not comply with BMWs own advice for X-Drive Vehicles and indeed can cause issues with the transfer box over time.

1).......I have an M340d and page 364 of the owners manual says "To maintain good vehicle handling always fit tyres of the same make and tread pattern to all wheels."

2)......I bought a brand new F31 335d MSport Xdrive in 2018 and wanted to hear from BMW themselves (rather than owners hearsay) about the issue of tyres causing problems with the transfer box as it cropped up on forums all the time. It took a few iterations of emails back and forward but I got a straight answer in the end. It is all explained in post #37 here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1142647&page=2

I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #6
Carl99
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
S001's are star rated and approved for use with BMW G20. I like the feel over the stock Turanza and wanted to remain run-flat.
I can't find that anywhere. The S001's are approved for the F30 but the G20 needs a different load index. When I looked, the S001 is not listed in the BMW part catalogue for the G20. My concern is the dealer may try to use this to justify fitting the T005 - good luck!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 01:56 PM   #7
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Call me a sceptic, but seeing as BMW supply xDrive cars with staggered tyre setups I’d have thought that this would make much more difference than things like tread patterns. I think there’s a degree of FUD (and arse covering) when it comes to tyres and xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 02:32 PM   #8
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I tend to agree. Not that I understand any of it (nor want to) but always seemed bizarre to me that a transmission that can happily handle 500+ bhp of power unleashed on it in an M3 can be nobbled by a 2mm tyre tread difference.
      04-24-2024, 04:04 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
You're right when you say they are two different tyre types. Bridgestone class the Potenza as a high performance tyre and the Turanza as a touring tyre suggesting a different construction and maybe different compounds.
My understanding is the Potenza was never a 'recommended' and 'approved' tyre for certainly the 340i/440i which seemed bizarre considering the cars' performance potentials?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:11 PM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
I tend to agree. Not that I understand any of it (nor want to) but always seemed bizarre to me that a transmission that can happily handle 500+ bhp of power unleashed on it in an M3 can be nobbled by a 2mm tyre tread difference.
I'd agree with your statement above in so far as it sounds almost far fetched that such a difference in tread depth could have such an impact on mechanical components.
The cynic in me thinks it's just another marketing tool as a result of creating paranoia in the minds of owners!

The problem would be if any transmission issues manifested themselves and a warranty claim was refused on the grounds of conditions BMW claimed were identified then expensive repair bills are possible. Since all warranties are in essence 'insurances' it looks on the face of it just another cynical way of avoiding paying out on them.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 02:41 AM   #11
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
You're right when you say they are two different tyre types. Bridgestone class the Potenza as a high performance tyre and the Turanza as a touring tyre suggesting a different construction and maybe different compounds.
My understanding is the Potenza was never a 'recommended' and 'approved' tyre for certainly the 340i/440i which seemed bizarre considering the cars' performance potentials?
This is where my confusion grows. The Potenza is a star rated tyre and OE for BMW's. I know it doesn't say for M340's but nowhere does it also state not to be used on M340's. Following reviews I read before purchase, there were a lot of 440's and even M3 users with them fitted without issue. I really don't see the Potenza being a problem, more mixing a Potenza with a Turanza on the same axle.
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      04-25-2024, 02:59 AM   #12
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is where my confusion grows. The Potenza is a star rated tyre and OE for BMW's. I know it doesn't say for M340's but nowhere does it also state not to be used on M340's. Following reviews I read before purchase, there were a lot of 440's and even M3 users with them fitted without issue. I really don't see the Potenza being a problem, more mixing a Potenza with a Turanza on the same axle.

Absolutely and I think therein lies the confusion it causes. In my experience over the years BMW can be very specific with some things and then annoyingly vague when it comes to other things as if to make sure they give themselves a lot of 'wriggle room' when it comes to interpretation when it comes to making a decision on any claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 03:27 AM   #13
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I was in a similar position to you OP. I had a screw in one of my rear tyres and as both rear tyres still had plenty of tread, I was told I could just replace the damaged one.

Unfortunately the dealership ordered the wrong tyre and I ended up with 3 original Bridgestones and 1 Continental. As the car wasn’t XDrive, I was told that it was fine to mix, even though I didn’t quite believe them.

I was told that if it had been XDrive, both tyres would have needed replacing due to the slight difference in tread depth.

I never had any issues either in the wet or dry and did many motorway miles over the next years in all conditions. To be fair, the tread pattern on the new tyre was very similar to the others.

When it came to replacing the rear tyres at a later date, I made sure to have the same Bridgestones all round, as it was stipulated by the lease company.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 04:05 AM   #14
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Normally you pay your money and take your chance......but as the dealer would be replacing the tyre and BMW make those specific recommendations, why would you take any chance at all? Its no brainer to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 04:22 AM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Normally you pay your money and take your chance......but as the dealer would be replacing the tyre and BMW make those specific recommendations, why would you take any chance at all? Its no brainer to me.
I tend to be of the same opinion.
BMWs aren't cheap to run (are any make of cars these days?) but in my experience with the marque sticking to the 'approved' and/or 'recommended' saves all the potential 'aggro' you stand to experience on any future claims against warranty whether that be new car, approved used or extended warranties.
I can be as cynical as the next guy but I believe you have to give some credit and put some faith in the extensive testing and development BMW have put into the product range to make the vehicles what they are and appealing to the buying public, after all surely that's what attracts us to owning them in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:04 AM   #16
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update - BMW are replacing the Turanza and fitting a Potenza S001 to match the others. No issue with Potenzas on a M340 I'm told, (although I was also told no issue with mixing treads which we now know was incorrect!). For those wondering about tread depth, my fronts have 6mm and my existing rear has 5mm. Assuming a new tyre would come with 7mm that would give me a difference of + or - 1mm between axles and 2mm on the same axle. Again something BMW are happy with.
Appreciate 1
bmnut815.00
      04-25-2024, 05:50 AM   #17
Carl99
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats greats new. Good to see them correct it.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 03:14 AM   #18
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
For those wondering about tread depth, my fronts have 6mm and my existing rear has 5mm. Assuming a new tyre would come with 7mm that would give me a difference of + or - 1mm between axles and 2mm on the same axle. Again something BMW are happy with.

I thought new tyres have 8mm of tread?

I have recently returned from a trip to Scotland and hit a pot hole doing around 60mph and after checking the front tyre I noticed it had a bulge on the sidewall so was looking to replace it.

After reading about 2mm difference on the same axle and between 2.5mm between front/rear axle tolerance on the X-Drive I thought I would have to buy a used tyre or replace all 4!

My tyres (Goodyear F1 RFT's) like yours have around 6mm on the front and 5mm on the rear which a new tyre would make it 2mm difference on same axle and 3mm difference between one front tyre and the rear tyres which I assume would also end up wearing sooner over time as it's rear biased.

I've managed to source a lightly used Goodyear star rated RFT tyre with 7mm which should keep me in tolerance so interested what problems (if any?) you may encounter when your tyres wear down where the new tyre will be down to 7mm for example but the rears will be doen to 3.5mm?
      04-30-2024, 07:02 AM   #19
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just checked tread depth and I have between 7.9mm and 8mm of tread on my new tyres. (I did a 560 mile round trip on them yesterday so a bit of wear is to be expected.)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:36 AM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
I thought new tyres have 8mm of tread?

I have recently returned from a trip to Scotland and hit a pot hole doing around 60mph and after checking the front tyre I noticed it had a bulge on the sidewall so was looking to replace it.

After reading about 2mm difference on the same axle and between 2.5mm between front/rear axle tolerance on the X-Drive I thought I would have to buy a used tyre or replace all 4!

My tyres (Goodyear F1 RFT's) like yours have around 6mm on the front and 5mm on the rear which a new tyre would make it 2mm difference on same axle and 3mm difference between one front tyre and the rear tyres which I assume would also end up wearing sooner over time as it's rear biased.

I've managed to source a lightly used Goodyear star rated RFT tyre with 7mm which should keep me in tolerance so interested what problems (if any?) you may encounter when your tyres wear down where the new tyre will be down to 7mm for example but the rears will be doen to 3.5mm?
When you get to the point where you have to change all four tyres it may be well worth considering a different make of tyre.
A lot of members on here, myself included, have had much grief with Goodyear Eagle F1s sustaining sidewall damage from potholes. I currently have Pirelli P Zero PZ4s on my car and they seem to be far more robust having clouted a few potholes over the past 15K miles without any sidewall bulging.

We too have just returned from a trip to Scotland with my wife's 220i coupe and hit a couple of potholes too. Her Bridgestone Potenza S001s just shrugged them off without issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 01:44 PM   #21
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
When you get to the point where you have to change all four tyres it may be well worth considering a different make of tyre.
A lot of members on here, myself included, have had much grief with Goodyear Eagle F1s sustaining sidewall damage from potholes. I currently have Pirelli P Zero PZ4s on my car and they seem to be far more robust having clouted a few potholes over the past 15K miles without any sidewall bulging.

We too have just returned from a trip to Scotland with my wife's 220i coupe and hit a couple of potholes too. Her Bridgestone Potenza S001s just shrugged them off without issue.
Feeling deflated at the moment as just had fitted the used tyre today and can’t believe it has a small bulge on the sidewall which I only noticed after when inspecting the tyre when I got home. I am in the process of trying to get a refund now.

I am not sure if I want to risk another used tyre now so not sure if I should buy a new tyre and risk the 3mm difference in tread size between front and rear.

Another option is to change brand BMW star rated and buy a full set but which do owners recommend? Bridgestone or Pirelli RFT? I am also considering Michelin non rft Pilot Sport 4S but not sure if I want decreased longevity in favour of improved grip/handling/ride
      05-01-2024, 01:50 PM   #22
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quick update - BMW are replacing the Turanza and fitting a Potenza S001 to match the others. No issue with Potenzas on a M340 I'm told, (although I was also told no issue with mixing treads which we now know was incorrect!). For those wondering about tread depth, my fronts have 6mm and my existing rear has 5mm. Assuming a new tyre would come with 7mm that would give me a difference of + or - 1mm between axles and 2mm on the same axle. Again something BMW are happy with.
With xDrive per ISTA, the acceptable variance is 2 mm among ANY tire regardless of axle, however based on your measurements you're still okay.
Appreciate 1