Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my M340i today

03-17-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Picked up my M340i today

BMW has done a BEAUTIFUL job with this car.

I have had many BMW's. I think over the years they have consistently offered the best quality/performance/comfort and VALUE of all the luxury car manufacturers. Easy to live with, familiar, reliable.

We have had multiple 3 series, 5 series, X5's and three M3's.

Not since the E39 5 series (we had three) has BMW gotten a car this 'right'.

If I had to describe it in just one word, the first word that comes to mind would be SMOOTH. The three series has emerged all grow up this time around. The 2 series has replaced the old three. This M340 has the comfort of 5 series past with perfect driving dynamics.

Honestly, it is as close to perfect as they have come in many years... since that ridiculously good e39 530 sport. That car was perfect harmony.

The new M340 is perfect harmony. The adaptive suspension is perfectly damped, comfortable, unflappable. The non run flat Pilot sports are the perfect tire. Every bit as good as the old M3, no, better than the old M3 for EVERYTHING but the track. This car can dance. If feels light and planted... It steers beautifully and has very good feedback.

The engine is amazing, pulling right off idol all the way to redline. It has zero lag and is perfectly linear. It makes that beautiful straight six sound and is turbine smooth. It is matched perfectly to the 8 speed automatic transmission that rips off shifts that are so smooth and so perfectly executed that you can barely feel them. Far better than the herky jerky dual clutch found in the M cars. Put it in sport plus and it holds gears and downshifts as if it were reading my mind..... choosing gears exactly as I would had I been driving a proper manual. Telepathically good. This could quite possibly be the best drivetrain in any modern BMW.

The fact that it is being asked to haul around a relatively light, wonderfully taunt chassis is a recipe for excellence.

All this goodness is wrapped up in a fresh, contemporary package that boasts handsome good looks with a confident stance and slick lines. The interior is updated and modern, with a beautiful fit and finish and high quality materials throughout. The new design is not as immediately familiar as BMW's of the past had been, but the learning curve should be quick. The M-sport steering wheel is slightly tweaked from past models but as always is spot on perfect.

The thud the doors make when closed is more solid and pleasing than any modern car I can think of. It feel purposeful and well built.

The Tanzanite blue paint is rich and brilliant. The tech is a quantum leap forward... the new screen is crystal clear and the navigation map continues to be the very best in the business.

There is plenty of goodness baked into all BMW's. Sometimes those individual ingredients come together with a finished product that is more than the sum of it's parts.

The M340 is good. Old school BMW good. The best BMW in many, many years.

There are more expensive BMW's, faster BMW's, perhaps more prestigious BMW's..... but right now there is no better BMW than the M340.

This BMW has perfect balance, figuratively and literally.

Perhaps that single word should have been SWEET.

Can you tell I love my new car?

Last edited by NewM3driver; 03-17-2020 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 16
hans007604.50
wtwo317943.50
themnmd1691.00
Gdiddy23906.50
BigSky702687.00
EXE462100.00
Transfer5248.00
seccsc239.00
quick6750.50
DZ F30303.50
RSnic657.50
      03-18-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

obviously i am also biased, but I agree with you, that this is the perfect street car. Especially in a place without perfect roads. An F80 or something would just be more jarring and jerky for doing normal non track things.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Congrats... let's see some pics!

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Congrats! I'm sure BMW marketing is loving the high praise lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

I have had many BMW's. I think over the years they have consistently offered the best quality/performance/comfort and VALUE of all the luxury car manufacturers. Easy to live with, familiar, reliable.

If I had to describe it in just one word, the first word that comes to mind would be SMOOTH. The three series has emerged all grow up this time around. The 2 series has replaced the old three. This M340 has the comfort of 5 series past with perfect driving dynamics.

Honestly, it is as close to perfect as they have come in many years... since that ridiculously good e39 530 sport. That car was perfect harmony.

The new M340 is perfect harmony. The adaptive suspension is perfectly damped, comfortable, unflappable. The non run flat Pilot sports are the perfect tire. Every bit as good as the old M3, no, better than the old M3 for EVERYTHING but the track. This car can dance. If feels light and planted... It steers beautifully and has very good feedback.

The engine is amazing, pulling right off idol all the way to redline. It has zero lag and is perfectly linear. It makes that beautiful straight six sound and is turbine smooth. It is matched perfectly to the 8 speed automatic transmission that rips off shifts that are so smooth and so perfectly executed that you can barely feel them. Far better than the herky jerky dual clutch found in the M cars. Put it in sport plus and it holds gears and downshifts as if it were reading my mind..... choosing gears exactly as I would had I been driving a proper manual. Telepathically good. This could quite possibly be the best drivetrain in any modern BMW.

The fact that it is being asked to haul around a relatively light, wonderfully taunt chassis is a recipe for excellence.

All this goodness is wrapped up in a fresh, contemporary package that boasts handsome good looks with a confident stance and slick lines. The interior is updated and modern, with a beautiful fit and finish and high quality materials throughout. The new design is not as immediately familiar as BMW's of the past had been, but the learning curve should be quick. The M-sport steering wheel is slightly tweaked from past models but as always is spot on perfect.

The thud the doors make when closed is more solid and pleasing than any modern car I can think of. It feel purposeful and well built.

The Tanzanite blue paint is rich and brilliant. The tech is a quantum leap forward... the new screen is crystal clear and the navigation map continues to be the very best in the business.

There is plenty of goodness baked into all BMW's. Sometimes those individual ingredients come together with a finished product that is more than the sum of it's parts.

There are more expensive BMW's, faster BMW's, perhaps more prestigious BMW's..... but right now there is no better BMW than the M340.

Ahhh...the honeymoon period...
I thought the same with my F30 335i when it got offloaded the truck...

After spending past two days, 300 miles and numerous hours with the M340i, I have realized how different and how remarkable the F80 is.

I totally agree that M340i is better suited for every-day driving and ultimately for what I need. But, as it should be, it is a totally different vehicle from the F80
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
could not have said it better
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Many of the reasons I just ordered a M340i. Looks like it's going to be a longer wait than originally thought, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Congrats... let's see some pics!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 3
wtwo317943.50
alex23642857.00
      03-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Quote:

After spending past two days, 300 miles and numerous hours with the M340i, I have realized how different and how remarkable the F80 is.

I totally agree that M340i is better suited for every-day driving and ultimately for what I need. But, as it should be, it is a totally different vehicle from the F80
Hopefully I did not misconstrue your post, but...Please do not turn this into a pissing match! What else can be said other than congrats and enjoy in good health?

Yes, BMW's are different across product lines, as they should be...

But let's be honest, there is rarely anything special about a vehicle, including F80 (former F82 driver here). They're cars, you enjoy them, then move on to the next vehicle.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 2
hans007604.50
Fuller1216.50
      03-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

This review means a lot coming from someone who not only has owned the M3 but also drives an air cooled Porsche.

It is a truly impeccable machine that we all are lucky to drive. Enjoy in good health, now move over lol so I can pass 👍. Cheers!
      03-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #11
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
This review means a lot coming from someone who not only has owned the M3 but also drives an air cooled Porsche.

It is a truly impeccable machine that we all are lucky to drive. Enjoy in good health, now move over lol so I can pass 👍. Cheers!
I have had three M3’s, the last two the F series. I know the car inside and out. They handle very well and are fast as hell, but they are far from perfect. I always thought the transmission was the weak link with those cars.

For a daily the M340 all day long

The 993 is a completely different animal.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
zamboni1127.50
      03-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Quote:
I was forever asking girlchild not to slam the door on the previous BMWs we owned, but for some reason it now takes her 2 or 3 attempts to shut the door properly on the M340i. She now closes the door, then looks at the LED trim to see if it is flashing red ;-)

I'm pretty sure this is NOT because she has all of a sudden become conscious of slamming doors. It hasn't stopped for the past 5 years. Maybe I need some flashing red LED lights on her bedroom door. Don't even go there...

03-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:

Congratulations!! Enjoy every moment! Please write up some more thoughts after a week or a month, it's great to see how our impressions adapt over time.

Super glad to hear your thoughts on the non-runflats! I ordered mine with non-runflats but passive suspension rather than adaptive. Your thoughts on the superlative balance echo my original thinking that BMW has made (on paper) a modern E39 M5 in size, weight and performance, if not cachet. If I'm to miss one of those things, that one is acceptable to me.

Since family life decisions make it impossible to have my true dream car (said E39 M5), I always felt the M340i could be "the one". Eager to find out in a few weeks!

Did you have a chance to compare the M3 suspension to both active and passive in the M340 before ordering? I was a fan of how variable the adaptive was for all situations but always concerned it would be a problem to maintain. For me, I chose passive because I drive a BMW like a BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
Congratulations!! Enjoy every moment! Please write up some more thoughts after a week or a month, it's great to see how our impressions adapt over time.

Super glad to hear your thoughts on the non-runflats! I ordered mine with non-runflats but passive suspension rather than adaptive. Your thoughts on the superlative balance echo my original thinking that BMW has made (on paper) a modern E39 M5 in size, weight and performance, if not cachet. If I'm to miss one of those things, that one is acceptable to me.

Since family life decisions make it impossible to have my true dream car (said E39 M5), I always felt the M340i could be "the one". Eager to find out in a few weeks!

Did you have a chance to compare the M3 suspension to both active and passive in the M340 before ordering? I was a fan of how variable the adaptive was for all situations but always concerned it would be a problem to maintain. For me, I chose passive because I drive a BMW like a BMW
My 2008 M3 (V8) had the adaptive suspension. My 2016 M3 had the non adaptive and it felt very stiff and honestly was a bit jarring on all but the smoothest roads. My 2017 M3 competition package was active and it was very nice to be able to select between comfort, sport and sport plus. I drove that car in sport most of the time.

I did drive M340's with both the active and passive suspension. Both cars behaved well, however I felt the active dampers were worth the relatively inexpensive cost of admission.

I feel a properly specified M340 would have the active suspension, and equally important, NON runlet tires. Now the spare donut tire BMW gives you takes up half the depth of your trunk. My spare, and the surround that held it have already been removed and relocated to the basement.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post

I'm not sure it has anything to do with a honeymoon period. I knew on my way home from the dealer that I had made a huge mistake with my 535D (D is for diesel). Not sure why I decided I needed to drive an oil burner but that car lasted all of 5 months.

Likewise, I knew instantly that BMW had made some very dramatic improvements by adding the competition package on the 2017 M3. The overall refinement and smoothness of that car was worth making the change from a non comp pack car.

There is a side to the BMW M3 that is boy racer. It is fun 10% of the time, and annoying the other 90%. Hyper, loud, tail happy (OK I'll admit I always liked that). My last M car did rattle a LOT. Far more than it should have for the price.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #16
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
My 2008 M3 (V8) had the adaptive suspension. My 2016 M3 had the non adaptive and it felt very stiff and honestly was a bit jarring on all but the smoothest roads. My 2017 M3 competition package was active and it was very nice to be able to select between comfort, sport and sport plus. I drove that car in sport most of the time.

I did drive M340's with both the active and passive suspension. Both cars behaved well, however I felt the active dampers were worth the relatively inexpensive cost of admission.

I feel a properly specified M340 would have the active suspension, and equally important, NON runlet tires. Now the spare donut tire BMW gives you takes up half the depth of your trunk. My spare, and the surround that held it have already been removed and relocated to the basement.
Thanks for that. I respect your thoughts on adaptive, it is an excellent feature and gives the car more versatility. Having never had a proper M, I'm still ok with a tauter setup. Hope I don't regret it as I age!

I heard some stories that removing the spare required buying a new trunk floor cover? Or does the surround sit on top of the existing one?

Also, did you end up with the Michelins or Pirellis at delivery?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Yup it's a real winner. I have very few complaints with ours and they are trivial issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #18
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Cheers man! I picked mine up the same day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Just joined the Portimao Blue crew today. Also got the directive to work from home for the foreseeable future... Guess it'll keep the miles low for a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 1
quick6750.50
      03-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #19
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
I'm not sure it has anything to do with a honeymoon period. I knew on my way home from the dealer that I had made a huge mistake with my 535D (D is for diesel). Not sure why I decided I needed to drive an oil burner but that car lasted all of 5 months.

Likewise, I knew instantly that BMW had made some very dramatic improvements by adding the competition package on the 2017 M3. The overall refinement and smoothness of that car was worth making the change from a non comp pack car.

There is a side to the BMW M3 that is boy racer. It is fun 10% of the time, and annoying the other 90%. Hyper, loud, tail happy (OK I'll admit I always liked that). My last M car did rattle a LOT. Far more than it should have for the price.
I find "hyper, loud and tail happy" to be exactly what I'd expect from an M3...
Been using it for 2 years as daily driver and aside from the rattles (I'd say 10% category) the car has been totally awesome.

However, the M340i definitely feels like a better compromise for the way I am using it...
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      03-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #20
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
My m340i has adaptive but runflat tires and i've been a car enthusiast for over 20yrs driving and owning every car imaginable. It's very hard to fault this m340i, a 12 flat 1/4 mile daily driver with great handling and fuel economy. There are no downsides.
      03-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Congrats! If I didn't care about 6MT so much I would have bought an M340i. Enjoy the car in good health!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #22
paulbazoV2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW IX X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Congrats! If I didn't care about 6MT so much I would have bought an M340i. Enjoy the car in good health!!
M340 is a great car, I downsized from M550 and I love the G20
My wife drives an MB C43, and the M340 is so much better
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00