Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i bm3 Stage 2 Cold Start Off Feature

11-16-2023, 12:43 AM   #1
J_C
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

M340i bm3 Stage 2 Cold Start Off Feature

The warranty of my 2020 M340i is finally over so just installed a catted downpipe with bm3 stage 2.

I'm very happy with it but the cold start is damn louder than I expected and I found a feature to turn off the cold start in the bm3 app.

What is the downside if I turn off it? Is it harmful to the engine?

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 05:37 AM   #2
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
The warranty of my 2020 M340i is finally over so just installed a catted downpipe with bm3 stage 2.

I'm very happy with it but the cold start is damn louder than I expected and I found a feature to turn off the cold start in the bm3 app.

Thanks for any advice.
I am not a mechanic, but I have read that the cold start heats up your Catalytic Converter. In theory your C-Convert does not work properly until it's heated up.

If that is not accurate - someone else can chime in. I am not that knowledgeable, but I read a lot haha.
      11-16-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
Prophet26
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post

Thanks for any advice.
The reason for the cold start is to heat up the catalytic converter quickly as it cannot do its job of decomposing exhaust gases when it is cold. Since you are not catless, I would retain the cold start.

I have mine off since I am catless. Only “downside” is the oil & coolant do not warmup as quickly for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 1
J_C3.00
      11-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
J_C
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post
I am not a mechanic, but I have read that the cold start heats up your Catalytic Converter. In theory your C-Convert does not work properly until it's heated up.

If that is not accurate - someone else can chime in. I am not that knowledgeable, but I read a lot haha.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
J_C
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet26 View Post
The reason for the cold start is to heat up the catalytic converter quickly as it cannot do its job of decomposing exhaust gases when it is cold. Since you are not catless, I would retain the cold start.

I have mine off since I am catless. Only “downside” is the oil & coolant do not warmup as quickly for obvious reasons.
Thank you for the input!
Appreciate 0