Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Big Brother BMW is watching you…

03-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Big Brother BMW is watching you…

I received an interesting call from BMW yesterday telling me that I had a warning light on my car…front and rear sidelights not working.

What had actually happened was, on the day before, I re-coded my car with BimmerCode after a BMW OTA software upgrade.
An idiosyncrasy with BimmerCode after coding is that the you receive a warning that the front and rear sidelights are not working (in fact they do work, but the warning appears).
I had forgotten to switch off the car and lock it, and then unlock the car. This clears the error message. I had driven around for a few minutes with the warning message symbol on the dash.

What intrigued me is that my dealer knew that the warning message had appeared and called me the following day to let me know.

I had not realized that BMW monitors your car so closely and so remotely.
baturbo47.50
      03-25-2023, 03:33 AM   #2
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

Wow. Wonder if that can be disabled. I don't need the dealer chasing me for stuff like that thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That’s interesting
I know when you switch off the car it send various data up to bmw that you can then see in your bmw app, I guess there may be more being sent than we all thought

I wonder if it’s worth doing a freedom of information request or a GDPR request to see exactly what data bmw has for you / your car?

I also wonder if info like this may help bmw know if the car has been coded?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 03:59 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
A good thing I see about this data collection is that should you have an accident in a remote area, and are unresponsive, BMW would receive many warnings from the vehicle and would be in a position to notify emergency services to assist at your location.

The other obvious benefit, as already mentioned in this thread, is that should your car be stolen it can be located easily.
      03-26-2023, 08:43 PM   #5
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Go to Privacy section in the menu - you can switch off any/all of this. Or you can do what I did and take it all the way and disable the SIM. Stops everything including OTA and SOS - you need to contact BMW Australia and complete a form and they disable the SIM.

While there may be *some* benefits to sharing this information / giving access / having these features - there can be serious downsides. Like the information collected being used against you. You can figure out what I mean. It's up to you.

If you value your privacy, controlling the privacy settings and or disabling the SIM is at your option.

Last edited by cyam; 03-27-2023 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sierra055291.50
bcoz80.50