Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Does 2020 M340i have Drive Recorder?

11-08-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
davidwau
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i

Does 2020 M340i have Drive Recorder?

Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a 2020 M340i with the Drive Recorder. I've found one I like but with no option packs. Do I have to purchase one that already has the feature, or can I buy Drive Recorder through the Connected Drive Service?

I understand all M340i cars have an in-built hard drive and cameras (by having the Parking Assist Plus package as standard), so the Drive Recorder feature can be purchased like it says here: https://www.drive.com.au/news/bmw-au...uto-high-beam/

The BMW dealer said the car didn't have Drive Recorder, and I'd have to buy a separate dashcam, which is a deal breaker.

Thanks
David
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I would be surprised if you couldn't get it as an addition in connected drive, but there are some funny builds around 2020 with Covid and technology shortages... so maybe?

If you have the VIN you can probably work out what is available?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
AZHusky
AZhusky
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2024 M340i Alpine White

FYI not sure how helpful drive recorder is…only records 20 sec before and after (so total of 40 seconds) if you record manually, or if you get into an accident. Not really a dash cam type function that you can use to record an entire trip but I guess it’s better than nothing.
      11-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
You can buy Drive Recorder through the BMW App. As stated before in this thread, it records an impact 20 secs before and after an impact. It records vision on all four cameras. If you get bumped in a car park, when stationary, the vision will be recorded on the Drive Recorder only if you select reverse gear when you enter the car.
Be aware that it is not a dashcam. If you want this kind of vision that records continuously, you will have to purchase a separate dashcam.
I started with a BlackVue, but this affected my battery because my car is not driven for several weeks at a time. I eventually swapped the BlackVue for a BMW ACE 2.0 which solved the issue. I believe the ACE 3.0 is available now.
The cost of a hardwired dashcam is roughly the same for both BlackVue (with Neo battery) and BMW ACE at around $1300.
Hope this helps.
      11-09-2023, 04:12 AM   #5
davidwau
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i

Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful. As you all said, the dealer got back to me today and told me it is purchasable through the app. He also said the model was unaffected by COVID supply issues, unlike other models in the range where the 3 series brochure warned of missing features for various packs and models.

Thanks for explaining the Drive Recorder limitations. Coming from a non-dashcam car, I'm okay with its functionality.

Now I have to decide whether I will purchase the car, which is interstate, making the decision more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

OK. That sounds right. Hopefully you can make the price worth it, as they are a great car. Otherwise, there are always a few for sale online.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:37 AM   #7
Tony Nguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwau View Post
Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful. As you all said, the dealer got back to me today and told me it is purchasable through the app. He also said the model was unaffected by COVID supply issues, unlike other models in the range where the 3 series brochure warned of missing features for various packs and models.

Thanks for explaining the Drive Recorder limitations. Coming from a non-dashcam car, I'm okay with its functionality.

Now I have to decide whether I will purchase the car, which is interstate, making the decision more difficult.
If you can get a qualified vehicle inspector to go out and look at the vehicle prior to purchase this should help with your decision. I am from Sydney and bought my M340i from Adelaide and had no issues whatsoever. The vehicle still had a service plan left and warranty so I had the service and checks done again once it arrived for free and then started on my modification pathway.
Appreciate 0