Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Front license plate ?

11-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #1
Lightsped
Rep
Drives: JL Willys and Tacoma TRD

Arrow Front license plate ?

My black M340i came with the factory front license plate attached. I now live in a state where a front plate is not required.

Question is:

1. How difficult is it to remove the frame? Are the holes large enough to be noticed once the frame is removed?

2. If I keep the front plate, what are some good original plate ideas? Not interested in "M" plates or the European ones. Just something low key and normal. My car is unmodded and am not interested in making it a M3 wannabe or a street racer. Basically just something to fill the frame.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
the3mw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
My black M340i came with the factory front license plate attached. I now live in a state where a front plate is not required.

Question is:

1. How difficult is it to remove the frame? Are the holes large enough to be noticed once the frame is removed?

2. If I keep the front plate, what are some good original plate ideas? Not interested in "M" plates or the European ones. Just something low key and normal. My car is unmodded and am not interested in making it a M3 wannabe or a street racer. Basically just something to fill the frame.
damn.. the dealer ruined your bmw.. friend of mine filled the holes up with the bolts matches with the car color.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
2. If I keep the front plate, what are some good original plate ideas?
That's wildly subjective and up to personal taste. My black lifted Jeep Wrangler has a yellow happy face emoji on the front plate. I like it and think it works well, but that's all me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 11:57 PM   #4
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'm just amazed that you have States where a front plate is not a requirement. I suppose I'm used to seeing them, but to my eye almost all cars look unfinished without a plate on them as there is always a manufacturer's provision for it. To be honest, I think it should be compulsory everywhere to make it easier to catch those behaving badly on the roads ...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 05:17 PM   #5
nimonery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
I'm just amazed that you have States where a front plate is not a requirement. I suppose I'm used to seeing them, but to my eye almost all cars look unfinished without a plate on them as there is always a manufacturer's provision for it. To be honest, I think it should be compulsory everywhere to make it easier to catch those behaving badly on the roads ...
What if I told you that there are states that DO require the front plate but a significant number of people just ignore that law and dont have a front plate and drive for years and never have any issues or get pulled over? Cause thats been my experience.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimonery View Post
What if I told you that there are states that DO require the front plate but a significant number of people just ignore that law and dont have a front plate and drive for years and never have any issues or get pulled over? Cause thats been my experience.
Been driving in CA for 15 years without front license plate. Zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #7
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Steve Jobs drove without any plates.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Technolog...ry?id=14834608

I told my SA that I would not take delivery of my new car if they drilled the front bumper with ugly plate holes.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:44 PM   #8
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimonery View Post
Years ago I lost my front licence plate in country Victoria (I'd been off-roading and it had fallen off somewhere). I ordered a new plate straight away. I was stopped twice by the police within the couple of weeks it took for my plate to be ready for collection and only avoided a fine because I was able to prove that the plate was ordered. Clearly we have a totally different enforcement policy here in Australia, probably because front plates are universally required (unless you're the Governor General or a State Lieutenant Governor, when you just have a crown on the front and back of your car where the plates would be, as you are the King's representative and don't have to stoop to driving a licensed vehicle). But I remain of the view that all states should require front plates as so many people drive so badly they deserve to be caught and fined.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #9
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Bumper plugs

https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs
      11-11-2023, 01:21 AM   #10
spicyB48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:

Question is:

You can get some plastic bumper plugs to fill in the screw holes from the front plate mount.

You can also keep the front plate mount, and just get a duplicate of your rear plate. There are companies that will make a customized matching front plate for states that only require a rear plate.
      11-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #11
Archie68
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Drove without front plates for 11 months. Only place in Illinois that is total stickler on is Ohare airport. Otherwise seems like cops don't care. Every other option for front license plate just visually doesn't work that well. No easy answer other than to balance risk vs reward in your unique situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
M340I///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
I live in Delaware , one tag state. While some states require two for law enforcement to easily identify the vehicle. ( only reason in general and now traffic cameras) it’s more expensive to register a two plate car then a one plate car small bonus.

31 states require front and rear plates, while 19 states only require rear plates. Rear plates were invented first and some states just never decided to require front plates. Front plates are primarily used for traffic enforcement by speed cameras.

I bought my M340i in Pennsylvania ( two tag state ) and the dealership drilled the bumper during PDI.

Sucks but glad they make these bumper plugs. Not the best look and still bothers me , but it will do until I can get the front bumper holes filled and repainted.
Appreciate 0