Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G21 tailgate - rattling trim piece

05-04-2024, 02:27 PM   #1
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

G21 tailgate - rattling trim piece

With the weather getting a little warmer now, and me not needing the heater fans blasting hot air at me, I noticed had another rattle coming from somewhere in the boot. I think I just had not noticed this rattle over the fan noise. Either that or it's the plasitcs are expanding a fraction now it's not so cold up here.

After a week or two of trying to find the source of this rattle, I have identified these two trim pieces as the most likely cause of the issue.

They are the plastic trims that cover the metal brackets the tailgate mechanism moves through, and when I tap them, I get the now familiar sound of plastic rattling against metal.

If I can get them off, I am confident that a little bit of felt tape over the lugs that hold the trim in place will resolve the issue, but I am unsure hold they clip into place, and I don't want to break anything.

I've been trying to find the trim in the parts catalogue, but the server seems to be down for maintenance or something just now, most pages are unavailable.

https://www.bmw-etk.info/parts-catalog/BMW/A/sm/VT/G21/

Anybody got any idea how these come off?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 06:31 PM   #2
Slipmiester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d Touring

I installed a rear view camera threading the cable throgh these trims, I vaguely recall there being screws holding these in place. I'd need to have another look at mine to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 04:52 PM   #3
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipmiester View Post
I installed a rear view camera threading the cable throgh these trims, I vaguely recall there being screws holding these in place. I'd need to have another look at mine to be sure.
Yes, you are quite right, when I got a chance to look ast this further, i.e. when it had stopped raining, I was able to see that if I just opened the rear window part of the tailgate, there are two screws holding on each bit of trim, so I removed them, added some felt tape where required, and put them back on, and now that don not rattle.

But... I still have a rattle, must be from something else, I got my Father to drive my car while I sat in the back seats, as far as I can tell so far, the rattle is coming from something behind the trim on the tailgate it's self
Appreciate 0